NEWS: LG demo OLED and SUPER UHD 2018 TVs

Abacus

Banned
LG are definitely going for the jugular, it will now depend on what the actual sale prices are when they come to market, as to whether they will succeed or not.

Bill

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Thanks Steve, look forward to seeing some tests and prices in the near future.
It's a shame they didn't demo black frame insertion, I wonder why?

KishB

Really hope the c8 comes in about £2k but think I will be waiting till Xmas for it to come down to that level.

dave1956a

On another forum (A*S) a well known calibrator has posted that he has run the 2018 LG auto LUT cal and it does not work correctly he says it is a Calman error but who knows

Last edited by a moderator:

Adookah

I'm looking forward to the SK8500. Waiting for the review Steve :clap:

eltond

Does anyone have any indication on pricing for the c8 55 and 65? And what about dates ? This month ? I’m ready to sell my b6 55 and go for the new models

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Shame no Monitor versions of Oled that i have seen ......
only the dual view 55 inch Monitor model :(

tigertimtim

Sounds promising

"LG demonstrated both the improved noise reduction and the de-contouring at the event and the E8 was clearly better in both areas when compared to both the E7 and the A1.
The motion handling of the Alpha9 has also been improved, resulting in less judder with 24, 25 and 30Hz content."

and better Hdr as well.
Disappointing theres no 77" in either the G or E series.

Kotatsu Neko

Looks like OLED has hit a ceiling with peak brightness. Will it ever reach 1000nits? Let alone 4000. Personally I find the current 650nit brightness more than enough, but I watch in a dark room so I don't need or want anything too bright.

I'm waiting for variable frame rate and eARC to become standard before I consider another upgrade, and there's zero chance that it will be an LG. Once burned.

ELGENERAL1994

Please no! I was harbouring dreams on getting a 65" C8. But no chance of that if that will be the predicted price of a 55" C8.

Last edited:

encaser

First indications show £3k for the 55 C8 - way too expensive, £2.5k max reasonably IMO.
If that turns out correct, they'll be £500 above the Sony AF8 and Panasonic FZ9 55" models and some £700 over the 55" FZ8. This seems unlikely but if so, LG will have a month or so to alter the price before Panasonic and Sony's releases if supposed schedules remain.

w00tmanUK

Really making me reconsider - I wanted the C8 just because it was the latest version, so longevity-wise it had a little more oomph when it comes to likelihood about receiving OS updates, that sort of thing. It also seems it's a little brighter - 10% seems the figure banded around.

But - I'm upgrading from a EC930, so 4k is going to be brand new to me regardless. And, I can get a C7 for less than half the price (£1500 less an 8% discount if I go to Currys) or with a 6 year guarantee (if I go to Richer Sounds). Selling my EC930 for £400 means the cost to change is even MORE in favour of the C7..

I'm a gamer & streamer of films (Netflix and Amazon) and I'm really struggling to justify this.

dave1956a

I found a 2017 model was a real upgrade from a 2016 model due to the near black performance upgrade of the 2017 set on low bitrate off air stuff from BBC/ITV.

But so far I am not drawn to a 2018 model more so now with news from the US that the SDR LUT auto cal is "broken" not my word but the word used by the guy that tried to use it on a 2018 set

Last edited:

Pogg

I like the de contouring feature which is comparable to Sony Smooth Graduation feature. A feature I miss the most on my LG 2017 OLED.

encaser

Yet another tricksy improvement year and not significant advance. The E8 may have been better on demo (were A1 settings offered and not just vivid?) but is the AF8 going to have tweaks for its introduction too?
I would've hoped LG (or others) to report eArc as an update, as Denon A/V for example have this year for its X****H range which are HDMI 2.0.
HFR is all well and good but years off for source material.
It'll be interesting how the auto calibration affects calibrators back end; if it takes much shorter times, as they still have travel and equipment costs.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
£3k sounds about what I expected for the 55" C8.
The B7/C7 55 incher was 3k last year on release.

Yes it's more expensive than Panasonic and Sony, but the C8 isn't the entry-level model.

Mensy

Distinguished Member
"LG demonstrated both the improved noise reduction and the de-contouring at the event and the E8 was clearly better in both areas when compared to both the E7 and the A1"

Did they say wether the sony had smooth graduation enabled ? Or did they not say and probably had it turned off ?

Its only one option on the LG isnt it so we need to have both noise reduction and de-contouring on at the same time.

encaser

£3k sounds about what I expected for the 55" C8.
The B7/C7 55 incher was 3k last year on release.

Yes it's more expensive than Panasonic and Sony, but the C8 isn't the entry-level model.
Nor is the Panasonic FZ9.

Pogg

On 2018 LG OLED TV’s if you turn Edge Enhancer to OFF does it mean it is ON and vice versa?

Adookah

65" SK8500 has a lot of potential, if it comes in at a decent price.
Yes, it looks like an excellent mid range TV. The clash between XF90 and SK85 will be interesting. And maybe the NU7000 but its edge lit.

allanto

Standard Member
Found some UK prices....
upload_2018-3-22_17-38-52.png

Mrwonderful

Standard Member
Although these improvements to last year's model (C7 owner here) I do actually wonder how many people will actually make use of the many and varied options that modern day TV's possess and how many will actually take the time and trouble to maximise their sets performance? My neighbour was not impressed with the performance of his new TV until I suggested he switched the energy saving mode off !

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021