NEWS: LG announces DVLED Extreme Home Cinema display

UMAR 3:16

Ordered the 200inch!

Garioch

Distinguished Member

dollag

If they can bring the price down, it'd the death of projectors.

Or maybe not. I mean there are still people who claim they still prefer vinyl because the like to hear the crackling.

My wife!

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
Or maybe not. I mean there are still people who claim they still prefer vinyl because the like to hear the crackling.
Ignoring some of the questions of taste for projection vs direct view (eg things like slightly shiny screen surface, not actually using a projector just because that is how theatres do it, etc), there are significant obstacles to the use of video walls in dedicated theatre rooms:
1) Big flat acoustically reflective surface at the front of the room, not great for acoustics.
2) Complex installation with individual panels being calibrated, maintenance issues should single panels fail (have to bring in a new panel into the screen array), possibilities of seeing the seams
3) Condemns you to speakers above, below and to the sides of screen, no acoustically transparent option, which compromises audio further.
4) Require the removal of large amounts of heat from the front of the room.

I don't think these will displace projectors in a typical dedicated room for a while, and not just because of cost.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Ignoring some of the questions of taste for projection vs direct view (eg things like slightly shiny screen surface, not actually using a projector just because that is how theatres do it, etc), there are significant obstacles to the use of video walls in dedicated theatre rooms:
1) Big flat acoustically reflective surface at the front of the room, not great for acoustics.
2) Complex installation with individual panels being calibrated, maintenance issues should single panels fail (have to bring in a new panel into the screen array), possibilities of seeing the seams
3) Condemns you to speakers above, below and to the sides of screen, no acoustically transparent option, which compromises audio further.
4) Require the removal of large amounts of heat from the front of the room.

I don't think these will displace projectors in a typical dedicated room for a while, and not just because of cost.

Personal opinion here:

1) Before flatscreen TVs came along, many people listened to stereo hi-fi with speakers a little in front of a big, flat wall of plaster. Even in set ups with an old CRT TV between the speakers the vast majority of space on the front wall was the wall.
2) Agreed, but it does appear they're a long way towards sorting this.
3) I believe this is a non-issue. I've had (and currently have) speakers below my display, but I did have an acoustically transparent screen set up for a few years. I said before, I said when I had it, and I've said since, I have never felt that it brought a benefit (other than tidiness), and I've never once felt my sound was coming from the below the screen with speakers placed there.
4) Could you expand? Thanks.

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
Personal opinion here:

1) Before flatscreen TVs came along, many people listened to stereo hi-fi with speakers a little in front of a big, flat wall of plaster. Even in set ups with an old CRT TV between the speakers the vast majority of space on the front wall was the wall.
2) Agreed, but it does appear they're a long way towards sorting this.
3) I believe this is a non-issue. I've had (and currently have) speakers below my display, but I did have an acoustically transparent screen set up for a few years. I said before, I said when I had it, and I've said since, I have never felt that it brought a benefit (other than tidiness), and I've never once felt my sound was coming from the below the screen with speakers placed there.
4) Could you expand? Thanks.
I think on 1&3 I'd agree to disagree. Ref: 4; https://www.lg.com/us/business/download/CAT_DVLED_HomeCinema_102050_LR.pdf
136" is 3.7kW max compared to a JVC laser projector at around 450W for the new 3000 lumen unit. (the average rating is usually half the max for these LG displays). Of course, said laser won't do 1200nits across that size screen either.
I don't know about the LG setup. Some of the Samsung screens exhaust their heat into the room from the front. Some of the Sony displays exhaust from the back and need special consideration. (you can see a crazy apartment install over at the other other forum). I guess the LG is setup to be front cooled as they are showing it wall mounted.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
If they can bring the price down, it'd the death of projectors.

You said "Crackling". Now I want a Big Pork Roast for Dinner! :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom