NEWS: LG announces Apple TV app now available for 2019 TVs

There was no way they wouldn't have added it but nice to have confirmation :)
Thanks for the link.

Going by the info here I'd be pretty p1ssed if I had a samsung tv o_O
Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 16.04.13.png

Watching 'See' to test out the DV and overall it looks good but I keep getting a line of colour across the bottom of the picture above the lower black bar which is really annoying, anyone else having this problem?
I have seen this but only on The Morning Show 🤷‍♂️, i'ts only a bit and I wasn't at all fussed by it.

I'm not sure what to expect from ATV on my LG TV. I bought a new iPhone last month and had the option of a year's free ATV, and with the app. arriving this week I activated the free trial. I'm totally underwhelmed, unless I'm missing the point entirely here. Where is the 'free' stuff? I've found a few bits, like the Morning Show, but other than that ATV just seems to be a platform where you buy/rent content, a bit like Rakuten. At least with Amazon Video, there is a lot of free 'included with Prime' content that doesn't incur extra charges, but unless I'm missing something obvious here, Apple's 'free' subscription is a croc. Moreover, having to pay £4.99/month just to access the service so that you can then be charged more to watch stuff is not something that I'm interested in. Or is it that I just haven't poked around enough? Is there 'free' stuff on the platform that I haven't yet found, or have I hit the nail on the head?

I tried the first episode of the Morning Show last night. Pretty mediocre and predictable, to my mind. How do you stop/disable the autoplay feature? On Netflix and Amazon that can be disabled, so that the next episode of something doesn't start playing immediately, and I've done that, but I can't see anything in the settings to allow me to do that on ATV.

Clem

Apple TV app enables you to watch content from the iTunes Store you own or rent as well as Apple TV+ content. Apple TV + is what the monthly fee is for and is for apples
Original content.
The morning show strays off slow but gets really good imo.
Servant is also really quite good. Not much else took my fancy though tbh though a few people really liked mankind.

Thanks. It's unlikely then that Apple will be helping itself to £4.99/month from my bank account next year then. I was expecting something along the lines of Amazon Video, which works for me. Apple's homespun content is lame.

Clem

"For all mankind" is a great show and really looking forward to the next season, I've not watched anything else on Apple TV yet as none of the other original content stands out. I have a few movies in my iTunes account from when you used to get the codes included with blurays and its nice having access to 4K Dolby Vision versions of these movies now.

I just got a 1 year free apple tv+ subscription with my new mac, This apps arrival couldn't be better timed for me :clap: :clap:

I just got a 1 year free apple tv+ subscription with my new mac, This apps arrival couldn't be better timed for me :clap: :clap:
Me too with a new iPad, for all mankind is fantastic binged watched all but one episode in two days.

Older tv range! The C9 is not exactly old.
How far back are they going? C7 range?
Not that I care about Apple TV anyway.
I’ve got a 55B8PLA, is it available on my tv and if so how do I get it. Searched the apps but to no avail

I’ve got a 55B8PLA, is it available on my tv and if so how do I get it. Searched the apps but to no avail

It's not available for 8 series yet, all LG have said is "later this year".
Looking forward to getting it for my C8.

Last edited:
Has any used the new apple tv app on there LG TV and find it just as good as using an apple tv 4k. I have an apple tv 4k with a 2017 LG 49" tv but looking to upgrade to the 49sm9000. thanks

Noticed the LG Apple TV app got an update this morning. Not sure if there's any new features or just bug fixes?
Well it never fixed the major colour banding while opening a film, so ugly :eek:

And real cinema still isn’t selectable on SDR material which makes me think it is being chucked out at 60hz. A quick a/b comparison on snowpiercer showed the tv app image quality to be lagging behind the apple TV hardware too.... but I need to look at this a bit more to be certain.

My impression of WebOS apps are that they are just GUI elements with the codec etc being within the firmware libraries. This firmware component would likely be common to Airplay casted streams and app launched streams, and if LG and Samsung users see the same problems it's possibly specific for Apple and incorporated by the TV manufacturers.

If this is true, then function bugs or changes would need a firmware update and our C8 will need an update as well as getting the app.

Which is why I wonder whether the established apps, and maybe the new Disney+, use established mature WebOS libraries but Apple needed bespoke additions. It wouldn't normally matter whether something is in firmware or part of the downloaded app unless you're a user that is keeping to an older firmware version.

On the ATV 4K limitations like no Youtube 4K, no HLG, no 60Hz HDR are OS, so maybe ATV apps have the same structure. There are posts about Atmos issues with the ATV Netflix app and that might be something within the firmware too.

Ah I get you now. Still curious as to why I can use real cinema on the Apple tv4k for SDR material but not the tv app.

Ah - I'm C8 so we're still waiting on the app to compare results with the ATV 4K, but in the Prime app I've tried a film and the Real Cinema setting is available and a sports stream where it's greyed out - so I see what you mean.

I’ve got a 2019 SM82 - the release from LG at the start of Feb said all 2019 SM TVs should now have the apple tv app but I don’t seem to have it on my home screen. All my software is up to date and I can’t see it in the App Store. Have I completely misunderstood or does anyone have any ideas how I can find/install it? Thanks in advance for any help

I’ve got a 2019 SM82 - the release from LG at the start of Feb said all 2019 SM TVs should now have the apple tv app but I don’t seem to have it on my home screen. All my software is up to date and I can’t see it in the App Store. Have I completely misunderstood or does anyone have any ideas how I can find/install it? Thanks in advance for any help
I had to search for it on the C9. It wasn’t showing either until I searched for it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom