Quantcast

NEWS: LG announces Apple TV app now available for 2019 TVs

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I wonder when it'll be available for older LG TVs?
Hoping it'll be available for my C8. I asked LG UK but they were clueless :p

supermackem

It’s up on the App Store. Looks and runs well on c9, seems native 4k and supports Dolby vision. No support for iTunes extras though, still saves me £180 for an Apple TV.

Last edited:

stblob

Older tv range! The C9 is not exactly old.
How far back are they going? C7 range?
Not that I care about Apple TV anyway.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Says in the story in the first post:
"... and on LG’s 2018 TVs later this year."
Yup but "later"is a sliding scale...
March? December? :p

jwsg

Promised for 2018 LG too. Last year ATV app was exclusive with Samsung TVs, not very pro-consumer as with DV and HDR10+ being unavailable on some brands,

Its only an app so its sad that it's news when an app on a £1500 TV less than a year old becomes available finally. The other services, like Disney, manage to just produce apps so we can actually use their services

HeavyFunk

Standard Member
"There was no direct indication of when the over the air firmware update would be available other than ‘now launching’ so owners should probably start checking for available updates as soon as possible."

The app just became available in the LG Store and I've not needed to update anything as my C9 still say's Software Version 04.71.05

jwsg

Updates could mean firmware or content store. A major part of an app - the WebOS libraries for codecs etc - is in the firmware - although ideally a streaming service would just use what's already there like Disney for example.

What's needed for ATV may have arrived for C9 etc in its update for Airplay last year - which must share some functionality - or another later in the year. The app download is possibly just GUI elements. So, for our 2018 models maybe there'll be a firmware update first.

supermackem

Hmmm after watching one film it crashed out four times, not a good start, may stick to airplay 2 as I’ve had zero issues with that.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
The app is great on the c9, unfortunately no atmos.
Must admit if the app was Atmos enabled then I may of pulled the trigger , but more interested in D+ over the Apple TV app if I'm being honest .

antsims

Distinguished Member
No atmos is a little frustrating. I couldn’t even find the app. I had to use the voice search and then it brought it up for me.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
No atmos is a little frustrating. I couldn’t even find the app. I had to use the voice search and then it brought it up for me.
Yup , that seemed a lil odd to me also as really had to search for it .

jwsg

Atmos is only on ATV+ shows and some of the movies on Itunes anyway, and then only if you have a receiver set up for Atmos. Even some of those can't decode Atmos on DD+ over ARC (it's well short of the Atmos you get on disc)

I dont think the Atmos omission is that serious - no DV on an OLED would have been much worse. No iTunes extras is going to be noticed by more people.

Gambit1977

Absolutely no excuse for this not to be on the 6 range. My E6 cost an arm and a leg, the level of support has been abysmal in comparison. It’s basically forced obsolescence

jwsg

LG dont really produce the apps they produce WebOS which others create apps for - so you need to ask Apple why they were exclusive with Samsung last year so 2019 only got the app today, and why it's only coming for 2018 and not 2017 and 2016 years when Disney and other services are quite happy to support WebOS 3 and later.

For LG the question is more why no WebOS updates, why no features that are clearly software based are given to previous years (something we take for granted on devices a lot cheaper than a TV) and why no HDR10+ for Prime and Google Play

73HENNY

It seems to work okay for me so far. Disappointing that there doesn't appear to be any movies included with ATV+ though. Can't see me continuing my subscription after the 1st free month trial.

HeavyFunk

Standard Member
Watching 'See' to test out the DV and overall it looks good but I keep getting a line of colour across the bottom of the picture above the lower black bar which is really annoying, anyone else having this problem?

jwsg

ATV+ is a new TV show oriented service, all Apple originals, including feature some feature length shows. Technically its the best looking of all the services in DV (and Atmos). There's a short free trial and a free year if youve recently bought an Apple device.

Itunes movies is for films and Tv shows to buy (or rent). The 4K price is the same as other servcies HD price so this is the route many of us have gone down rather than buying more discs. The 4K picture quality isnt bad with DV but audio is always better on physical disc.