NEWS: LG announce 88-inch 8K OLED TV ahead of CES

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Steve Withers, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,083
    2. SunnyIntervals

SunnyIntervals

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +251
      No thanks. Maybe in Japan they "need" this, but having only just moved to 4K, I am not planning to change my tv until well into the 2020's.

This is all about out-doing competitors; "we did it first", etc

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. ash23t

ash23t

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +88
      Yup, stupid announcement made for the free press coverage. The market wants 43/49 inch oled's not 88 inch or 8k.

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    4. MAX1210

MAX1210

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,230
      Bear in mind this is LG Display showing this OLED "display" not LG Electronics showing off a new TV.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    5. Bittern

Bittern

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +404
      The market needs a 47 inch 4K OLED NOT a 88 inch 8K ?

6. ash23t

ash23t

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +88
      Well ideally it needs both, but across most countries, majority of people's living rooms are not big enough to accommodate a 88 inch no matter how cheap they get over the years.

So from a sales perspective, more demand for people wanting smaller OLED's.

7. witchdrash

witchdrash

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +175
      I’m always meh about these sort of things, like the announcement of the 88” 4ks a few years ago. They’ve stitched 4 4k screens together effectively, it’s not exactly some sort of technical marvel.

The impressive bit will be the 50” 8k oled (from a technical stand point as we really don’t need 8k anytime soon)

8. Mackan1

Mackan1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      Shape i am sure showed off a 4K and 8k TV back in 2013(or so) but then vanished

edit or was it 4k and 6k

9. mjw1999

mjw1999

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +57
      I think an 8k iMac or LG display for Mac/pc may be with us in the next couple of years. That would be fab.

10. Bittern

Bittern

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +404
      So @Steve Withers at a wild guess, how much are we talking about to buy this beast ?

11. boyarin

boyarin

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +21
      What about fixing main OLED probs?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    12. sergiup

sergiup
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,850
      I think at least a couple of us would have to band together and sell some kidneys... :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    13. BAMozzy

BAMozzy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,619
      8k has been demoed before. Its no different though from Sonys 100" ZD9 or the rumour of Samsung bringing in a 150" MicroLED - TV's designed to 'wow' at CES, capture the press attention and draw publicity towards their brand. The average size though is around 48" (although maybe within the Premium Market that could be 55"+ - mainly because there are very few options under this) so it wouldn't make sense to make too many 88"+ TV's for the general domestic market.

The point is generally to grab the attention - to bring people to their stand and then to see what 2018 will bring for the 'general public' - not necessarily to show what they expect us to buy. 88" 8k OLED is only slightly higher Pixel density than a 55" 4k display. A 55" 4k has 80ppi compared to 100ppi for an 88" 8k display. What this means is that they could theoretically deliver a 44" 4k display as that would have the same Pixels per inch as the 88" 8k display. Maybe more 'affordable' or better sized for some people - although its generally better to go 'bigger' with 4k to get more benefit from the resolution jump over 1080p.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    14. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,193
      I'd suggest you'll see other manufacturers selling 8K TVs in 2019 because the Tokyo olympics will be available as an 8K TV broadcast. This has nothing to do with LG being first and simply them announcing that they''ll have TVs ready for the 8K TV service in Japan. LG are simply catering to a market that will exist and they are not creating that market themselves. Both Sony and Panasonic have already said that they'll have 8K TV ready for 2020 and 8K broadcasting of the Rio Olympics was tested in Japan during the 2016 games.

Meanwhile, here in the UK the BBC still hasn't managed to roll out HD broadcasting to all localised regions. It has however used your money to subsidise the Japanese broadcaster NHK's 8K and HLG efforts in Japan. You as a UK TV license payer are partly funding 8K TV broadcasts in Japan.

8K is pointless unless you go bigger than 60". You may as well forget it unless you are moderately wealthy. Even if they make smaller and more affordable TVs with 8K abilities, you'd not really notice the difference compared to 4K sets. THe benefits are only really apparent at larger screen sizes.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • List
    15. SunnyIntervals

SunnyIntervals

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +251
      "Meanwhile, here in the UK the BBC still hasn't managed to roll out HD broadcasting to all localised regions. It has however used your money to subsidise the Japanese broadcaster NHK's 8K and HLG efforts in Japan. You as a UK TV license payer are partly funding 8K TV broadcasts in Japan"

HLG is also thanks to joint work with NHK, so I'm sure we'll see benefits from all of this work at some point. Personally I'm happy for the BBC to be one of the leaders in R&D for new technology. Hopefully, Sky Q will introduce HLG at some point, and that will in part be thanks to the BBC. I've watched Blue Planet 2 via iPlayer and for me, the investment (HLG) was worth every penny.

But we digress...

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    16. One more thing

One more thing

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +87
      43-49 inch OLEDS please!!!!

17. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,193

Great, but when will I get HD, never mind 4K or 8K? I'm paying for something I'm not benefitting from. Why should it be of any concern to me what the Japanese think of the BBC when I live here in the UK? THe Japanses aren't buying anything from the BBC, but I bet most of you will be buying something from Japan or South Korea???? And if you hadn't realised it, SKY Q is a subscription based service I'd also have to pay for. Again, why am I funding services I don't subscribe to and that I don't benefit from?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    18. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,083
      If you have to ask... you can't afford it.

• Funny Funny x 10
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    19. Jek99

Jek99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +299
      I think this is interesting but no more than that. I would be interested in replacing my projector with a 100" TV but it would need to be less than £5k, so it looks like bit of a wait!

20. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,574
      I'm pretty sure my wall can take this 88" 8K tv but i doubt my wallet can, :( still i can dream, maybe one day.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    21. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,193
      Sell your house and buy one. You can alway mount it on a telegrath pole opposite you cardboard box:lesson:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    22. Tase

Tase

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +46
      Living in London we still dont get localised HD so I emailed the BBC over 6 months ago asking when we can expect the upgrade.....their silence was deafening!

23. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,193
      I think central London is the only region to actually get an HD regional service? Everywhere else in the UK is limited to SD when it comes to their regional variations. I think it applaudable that the BBC has an R&D department, but I think they have to remember that what they research has to be available to everyone that pays for it. As it stands, it is the majority of those not getting such services that are paying for it.

If the Beeb cannot afford to deploy HD TV nationwide then what chance is there of them ever being able to afford the infrastructure needed for 4K or 8K terrrestrial broadcasting? THis is where all the money being spent on 4 and 8K TV has been ging. It isn't targeted at home theatre and is aimed at TV broadcasts and or gaming.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    24. kiran_mk2

kiran_mk2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +33
      Great tech demo. I'm just surprised it's not also flexible! I have no doubt this panel will make it into a 2018 product just so LG can claim an 8K consumer product. Of course, consumers will be multimillionaries who simply want the largest, best TV on the market so I doubt LG will sell many more than 1000 all year - but that's probably in line with their expectations.

As with early 4K, this will be a bad product for people who want to keep it fully benefit - likely no HDMI 2.1, so how do you get an 8K signal to it? No 8K content beyond a few demo reels. When (if) 8K arrives it will likely be accompanied by some other feature (like HDR and Atmos came with 4K) that this won't support.

25. BAMozzy

BAMozzy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,619
      The regional news on the BBC are in SD. You can get Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland BBC in HD on Sky. Not sure how ITV manage to do its regional news in HD yet the BBC can't. On Sky, BBC1 SD will have its own region local news depending on your location but BBC1 HD can't like ITV can. On Sky, you can select your own local BBC region though or watch any region if you wanted but ITV you are limited to the region you are in. As such, BBC1 has so many Sky channels - SD, HD, all the regions and the 3 HD areas (Scot, Wales and NI). It could be annoying if you are on the edge of two with ITV as you may not get the one that is more relevant.

Personally I don't watch Local news so its never been much of an issue for me. It does seem incredible that there are still SD broadcasts. I know mobile phones, digital cameras etc are not 'professional' grade but they can do 4k video and some to a 'decent' quality too and I can't believe that ANY 'live' or modern day content is not capable of delivering at least full HD. It must be down to bandwidth rather than the quality at which it is being filmed. I bet every local news studio in the BBC is filming in at least 1080p but broadcast at lower quality because of bandwidth.

Just think how much bandwidth could be freed up by removing all SD channels - especially those with HD alternatives. There is over 80 HD channels on Sky and every one probably has an SD option. I understand that with Sky+ you are required to pay extra for HD but if that was dropped and everyone could access HD, they could literally get rid of so many channels. With SkyQ, they could also do away with all those +1 channels too - just set it to record if you can't watch it when broadcast or find it on-demand. Some stations have 3 different channels HD, SD and +1.

26. BAMozzy

BAMozzy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,619
      The TV could be HDMI 2.1 ready. The current 2.0 can be upgraded to 2.1 but whether the hardware is built to handle the bandwidth - like the cable linking the port to the controller on the circuit board for example. Doesn't mean it can or will necessarily be upgraded to support every feature that HDMI 2.1 can offer - like eARC, Game VRR etc. It could still be built to be upgraded to 2.1 and receive 8k HDR content.

27. heavymetalmat

heavymetalmat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +40
      Lets have a whip round, I've got a slightly tatty gonad going spare and a mint condition lung

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    28. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,747
      This is a concept TV made for show
      Why the hell is anyone talking about the commercial aspects of it is beyond me

29. avbill1

avbill1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +57
      It is only interesting to me if it does passive 3D in 4K. That’s a good use of the extra pixels.

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    30. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,193
      As said, Tokyo 2020 will be broadcast in 8K. NKH will be broadcasting it in Japan. Whether anywhere else will be willing to pay for the 8K rights and have the ability to broadcast it is another question. I'd surmise that you are seeing such announcements from the likes of LG, Sony and Panasonic in a run up to the 2020 Olympics and 8K TV broadcasts as opposed to the movie industry being interested in providing some if any content that will exploit such TVs. It will cater more to TV users interested in sports as opposed to movie enthusiasts. HDMI version 2.1 is already possivle vis most of the current TVs. HDMI org are the party preventing the TV manufacturers from stating this.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018