NEWS: LG 2020 TVs regain access to BBC iPlayer

Great news for 2020 owners, just need the rest of them now.

About time. Ridiculous that TV’s starting from £1499, for the OLED’s, didn’t have the UK’s most popular catch up app from the get go. And is still missing some of course.

TBH all new released smart tv's should have all the catch up options plus streaming services too when they are launched otherwise they aren't that smart. I understand about licensing issues but a lot of people want stuff all in one place rather than having to use firesticks etc. Plus the LG 48 inch OLED will be a popular for people who cant fit a 55 inch tv in, but without catch up services its not as appealing.

There will certainly be an assumption by a lot of buyers that any smart TV will have access to 'everything'.

There will certainly be an assumption by a lot of buyers that any smart TV will have access to 'everything'.

I think 'everything' is probably over doing it. But it's reasonable to expect 'standard' streaming services such as BBC, ITV, Ch4, Channel Five to be available. Consumers may even consider Netflix to be 'standard' too. But I don't think there would be a blanket expectation that services like Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Disney+, Apple TV, Curzon Home Cinema etc. would be available on every Smart TV.

Regards,
James.

You have to remember that we're on an AV forum so we're not just Joe Public. People generaly walk into Currys or Argos or Tesco etc look at the screen size and price and that's it. It's only later that they realsie it doesn't cover the streaming services they want/like

You have to remember that we're on an AV forum so we're not just Joe Public. People generaly walk into Currys or Argos or Tesco etc look at the screen size and price and that's it. It's only later that they realsie it doesn't cover the streaming services they want/like

True, but just like every other aspect of life, people should realise they need to do some basic research, and establish what's important to them before making a purchase. It's just like buying a car - we don't all need to understand the finer details of a combustion engine, or clutch mechanism, but we should know want range we want to cover in an average journey, how many miles a year we expect to travel etc, and whether the models we're interested in have Apple CarPlay built-in or not ;-)

Regards,
James.

The public should realise a lot of things including common sense, but as we know it doesn't work like that :laugh:

It's too late for me, I really wanted to get a 65" CX/GX this year and tried to get the C9 but just missed out on them. I wasn't going to spend a few grand on a TV without the services and you can't trust companies nowadays to deliver on promises so I went for the Sony 65 A85 instead. The lack of DTS decoding also went against the LG's.

They really shot themselves in the foot this year and I really don't understand why? :facepalm:

True, but just like every other aspect of life, people should realise they need to do some basic research, and establish what's important to them before making a purchase. It's just like buying a car - we don't all need to understand the finer details of a combustion engine, or clutch mechanism, but we should know want range we want to cover in an average journey, how many miles a year we expect to travel etc, and whether the models we're interested in have Apple CarPlay built-in or not ;-)

Regards,
James.
I did some research for a relative before he bought his 2020 LGTV. Went to the LG content store to check whether the UK catch up apps we’re available and they were all prominenently displayed on the Homepage! Bought tv from John Lewis and no mention on their website about issues with 2020 LGTVs. I would say that would be basic research!

Does anyone know if the catch-up apps for the U.K. commercial channels will be made available.

Frustrating that my 2019 LG TV in the kitchen has apps (ITV Hub etc.) that my 2020 LG in the living room doesn’t. Spent five minutes scratching my head earlier this week when setting the new one up. Bizarre.

First time and frustrated poster here ! In July I wondered shall I buy a 2019 model or a 2020 model ?Fired up my new 2020 model and no Catchup services ! LG Support say still don't know when these services will be available. If this was a technical issue I could sort of understand it but its licencing - which is just a matter of money ! So back to Firestick and remote juggling which I had on my 13 year old LG.

Has anybody tried hassling John Lewis (from whom I purchased it) for a refund or recompense as LG Support suggested that I should do and 'nothing to do with LG' !

First time and frustrated poster here ! In July I wondered shall I buy a 2019 model or a 2020 model ?Fired up my new 2020 model and no Catchup services ! LG Support say still don't know when these services will be available. If this was a technical issue I could sort of understand it but its licencing - which is just a matter of money ! So back to Firestick and remote juggling which I had on my 13 year old LG.

Has anybody tried hassling John Lewis (from whom I purchased it) for a refund or recompense as LG Support suggested that I should do and 'nothing to do with LG' !

Don’t know how LG Support can say the lack of catch up apps is nothing to do with LG, it’s everything to do with them. Only they can make them available by doing licensing deals with the respective broadcasters.

Ah sorry I was not very clear. LG apologised but said that if I wanted some recompense I should contact John Lewis. Can't see that being very fruitful though and wondered if anyone had tried it ?

Not a John Lewis issue sadly, says clearly in the T&C's that smart TV features and available apps are not included in the guarantee. It would also be difficult to prove (if it was) that you were mis-sold on the fact that the tv came with the apps

Not a John Lewis issue sadly, says clearly in the T&C's that smart TV features and available apps are not included in the guarantee. It would also be difficult to prove (if it was) that you were mis-sold on the fact that the tv came with the apps

Your contract of sale is with the retailer, not LG. UK consumer law trumps any warranty.

You can claim that the TV is ‘not fit for purpose’. If you took them to the small claims court the judgement looks at was is a ‘reasonable’ expectation.

You could also check if those services were advertised when you made the purchase. Even if it says something vague like streaming or catch up services - that may be enough to claim false or misleading advertising - but I suspect LG were very careful in their wording (but JL may not have been so careful).

Write to John Lewis - customer complaints. Don’t do it via email and don’t argue with staff in the shop or on the ‘phone.

Layout your position and argument clearly in your letter and ask them to remedy the situation. See what they do. John Lewis are normally very fair.

Regards,
James.

Your contract of sale is with the retailer, not LG. UK consumer law trumps any warranty.

You can claim that the TV is ‘not fit for purpose’. If you took them to the small claims court the judgement looks at was is a ‘reasonable’ expectation.

You could also check if those services were advertised when you made the purchase. Even if it says something vague like streaming or catch up services - that may be enough to claim false or misleading advertising - but I suspect LG were very careful in their wording (but JL may not have been so careful).

Write to John Lewis - customer complaints. Don’t do it via email and don’t argue with staff in the shop or on the ‘phone.

Layout your position and argument clearly in your letter and ask them to remedy the situation. See what they do. John Lewis are normally very fair.

Regards,
James.
Of course, but John Lewis make no stipulation/promises as to what services are available at time of purchase.

The OS not working properly is clear cut, retailers problem. App availability is not - especially when stated in black and white. No advertising for any of the UK streaming services anywhere. Also, no secret when looking at reviews they're missing. There can't be an argument of 'fit for purpose', as the product works as advertised , and was never sold explicitly with the UK services available.

There is nowhere to go here - you might be lucky moaning at JL, but there is no case to be had here.

Thanks to all for the 'learned opinions' which I will take heed of and not bother complaining any more ! 'Lessons learned' as they say !

Trouble was that I got an 'ear bending' from my wife who was hoping we could have just one remote control. On that subject I am not impressed with the 'Magic' remote that was supplied with the set.

The trouble is that the the screen 'landing' areas are so small that it is easy to 'nudge' off the selected area when clicking the wheel. And, as others have posted it doesn't work very well with third party apps either.

What services are you talking about?

The only ones not available as far as catch up services go is itv, channel 4 and channel 5, do they even have one?
bbciplayer was added to the LG cx recently.

The only ones not available as far as catch up services go is itv, channel 4 and channel 5, do they even have one?

yes they do, they they don't have any sort of platform neutrality.
for example, ITV Hub and 5 have catchup apps available on the Android TV platform, but BBC and 4 don't. STV Player (the catchup for that region also isn't available on android TV).

so there are plenty of places where certain catchup apps are not available to the end-user.

Ah my LG 2020 Model No: 43UN73006LC purchased in July did not come with iPlayer, ITV, All4, CH5 apps !

A few days ago BBC iPlayer 'arrived' but alas not the other services and LG don't know when these will be available.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom