NEWS: LG 2020 TVs regain access to BBC iPlayer

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Great news for 2020 owners, just need the rest of them now.

FevreDream

About time. Ridiculous that TV’s starting from £1499, for the OLED’s, didn’t have the UK’s most popular catch up app from the get go. And is still missing some of course.

snooper

TBH all new released smart tv's should have all the catch up options plus streaming services too when they are launched otherwise they aren't that smart. I understand about licensing issues but a lot of people want stuff all in one place rather than having to use firesticks etc. Plus the LG 48 inch OLED will be a popular for people who cant fit a 55 inch tv in, but without catch up services its not as appealing.

rpr

There will certainly be an assumption by a lot of buyers that any smart TV will have access to 'everything'.

THX1138UK

There will certainly be an assumption by a lot of buyers that any smart TV will have access to 'everything'.
I think 'everything' is probably over doing it. But it's reasonable to expect 'standard' streaming services such as BBC, ITV, Ch4, Channel Five to be available. Consumers may even consider Netflix to be 'standard' too. But I don't think there would be a blanket expectation that services like Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Disney+, Apple TV, Curzon Home Cinema etc. would be available on every Smart TV.

Regards,
James.

rpr

You have to remember that we're on an AV forum so we're not just Joe Public. People generaly walk into Currys or Argos or Tesco etc look at the screen size and price and that's it. It's only later that they realsie it doesn't cover the streaming services they want/like

THX1138UK

You have to remember that we're on an AV forum so we're not just Joe Public. People generaly walk into Currys or Argos or Tesco etc look at the screen size and price and that's it. It's only later that they realsie it doesn't cover the streaming services they want/like
True, but just like every other aspect of life, people should realise they need to do some basic research, and establish what's important to them before making a purchase. It's just like buying a car - we don't all need to understand the finer details of a combustion engine, or clutch mechanism, but we should know want range we want to cover in an average journey, how many miles a year we expect to travel etc, and whether the models we're interested in have Apple CarPlay built-in or not ;-)

Regards,
James.

rpr

The public should realise a lot of things including common sense, but as we know it doesn't work like that :laugh:

CaptainNick

Standard Member
It's too late for me, I really wanted to get a 65" CX/GX this year and tried to get the C9 but just missed out on them. I wasn't going to spend a few grand on a TV without the services and you can't trust companies nowadays to deliver on promises so I went for the Sony 65 A85 instead. The lack of DTS decoding also went against the LG's.

They really shot themselves in the foot this year and I really don't understand why? :facepalm:

Hallix

Standard Member
True, but just like every other aspect of life, people should realise they need to do some basic research, and establish what's important to them before making a purchase. It's just like buying a car - we don't all need to understand the finer details of a combustion engine, or clutch mechanism, but we should know want range we want to cover in an average journey, how many miles a year we expect to travel etc, and whether the models we're interested in have Apple CarPlay built-in or not ;-)

Regards,
James.
I did some research for a relative before he bought his 2020 LGTV. Went to the LG content store to check whether the UK catch up apps we’re available and they were all prominenently displayed on the Homepage! Bought tv from John Lewis and no mention on their website about issues with 2020 LGTVs. I would say that would be basic research!

Rik B

Frustrating that my 2019 LG TV in the kitchen has apps (ITV Hub etc.) that my 2020 LG in the living room doesn’t. Spent five minutes scratching my head earlier this week when setting the new one up. Bizarre.