NEWS: Leeds chosen as venue for second UK Dolby Cinema

'Leicester Square packs 400 speakers into the auditorium' :cool:

Zigourney's house packs 5.1.2 speakers into the lounge :rotfl:

On a serious note I love the cinema for big action packed movies and would consider myself lucky if Dolby opened one up near me!

Thanks to Andy for another informative article.

Last edited:
I should imagine it will be around £20 a pop, thats a lot of money for a watch once when a Blu or 4K disc is roughly the same price.

So slightly smaller than the Imax at Bradford and will probs cost more hmmm think I will stick to watching my films at Imax

Happy to hear that Leeds will be the second venue for Dolby Vision cinema in the UK. Leeds is a fairly easy drive for me.

I’m seeing ‘Captain Marvel’ (2D) on Friday 8th March at the Odeon Leicester Square (£35 per ticket). First visit to the venue since 2014. Really looking forward to it.

I recently saw ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ (£17.50) at the BFI IMAX in 3D. I would have preferred to see it in 2D, but the presentation was very good, and the 3D (mostly) worked well.

Only the 2nd IMAX 3D presentation I’ve seen, having previously seen ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ in 3D IMAX.

I prefer the Dolby Vision experience to IMAX for feature films (unless it’s proper 70 mm IMAX).

It’ll be interesting to see if the public at large have an appetite for prestigious (and expensive) Dolby Vision presentations as facilities start to get rolled out across more venues in the UK. I wonder what they will charge in Leeds - hopefully not West End prices?

Regards,
James.

The place will be deserted as everyone will be stuck trying to get off the one way system

Lived in Leeds my whole life. Never heard of "The Springs" retail and leisure park. Had to google it, didn't even know that existed.

You'll still get people talking through the movie, messing with phones and eating 'loud' food. I'll stick to my movie room :)

...I’m seeing ‘Captain Marvel’ (2D) on Friday 8th March at the Odeon Leicester Square (£35 per ticket). First visit to the venue since 2014. Really looking forward to it.
I should be there as well although earlier in the day so the ticket prices are cheaper. I also intend to see it at the IMAX on Monday for comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll still get people talking through the movie, messing with phones and eating 'loud' food. I'll stick to my movie room :)
Not at the BFI you don't (so far). I haven't experienced a full Dolby Cinema yet since I went to a mid week evening show.

Holy crap, THX1138UK is that £35 a ticket for the Dolby showing?

I just booked IMAX Printworks Manchester showing for the morning of the 8th for £12.24 and that is for a posh seat too.

Damn, London prices.

Holy crap, THX1138UK is that £35 a ticket for the Dolby showing?

I just booked IMAX Printworks Manchester showing for the morning of the 8th for £12.24 and that is for a posh seat too.

Damn, London prices.
He must be going to see it within peak hours. My royal box ticket costs much less than that but then I'm going in the afternoon.

I live in Leeds so that should deter some from wanting to visit :hiya:

Lived in Leeds my whole life. Never heard of "The Springs" retail and leisure park. Had to google it, didn't even know that existed.

I know of it because I once had to attend an endoscopy clinic located on the site. I didn't have to pay anything and it was free! :clap: There's also a Greggs :lesson:

Last edited:
Looking forward to it. Not too far from where I live. Will definitely check it out but I don’t think Odeon show 3D movies any more so won’t be giving up my Cineworld pass anytime soon.

Crikey £35 for a seat in a cinema. You can buy a house for that in Leeds

Last edited:
So slightly smaller than the Imax at Bradford and will probs cost more hmmm think I will stick to watching my films at Imax

Happy to hear that Leeds will be the second venue for Dolby Vision cinema in the UK. Leeds is a fairly easy drive for me.

I’m seeing ‘Captain Marvel’ (2D) on Friday 8th March at the Odeon Leicester Square (£35 per ticket). First visit to the venue since 2014. Really looking forward to it.

I recently saw ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ (£17.50) at the BFI IMAX in 3D. I would have preferred to see it in 2D, but the presentation was very good, and the 3D (mostly) worked well.

Only the 2nd IMAX 3D presentation I’ve seen, having previously seen ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ in 3D IMAX.

I prefer the Dolby Vision experience to IMAX for feature films (unless it’s proper 70 mm IMAX).

It’ll be interesting to see if the public at large have an appetite for prestigious (and expensive) Dolby Vision presentations as facilities start to get rolled out across more venues in the UK. I wonder what they will charge in Leeds - hopefully not West End prices?

Regards,
James.
Have the National Media Museum or Waterloo announced when they’ll finally be upgrading their IMAX 2K Digital projectors to the new 4K with Laser system?

I used to frequent the BFI back when IMAX would release movies on 15-perf 70mm celluloid but haven’t bothered in recent years, what with them showing the same 2K version as my local Cineworld which I only have to pay a fiver Unlimited uplift for; the smaller screen making the screen door effect less distracting at least.

Shall have to check out Leicester Square’s 4K Dolby Cinema this summer to see how much better it is now than when I watched V for Vendetta there; never bothered to return after I discovered that the screen in that vast auditorium was no bigger than Screen 1 at my local fleapit o_O

Have the National Media Museum or Waterloo announced when they’ll finally be upgrading their IMAX 2K Digital projectors to the new 4K with Laser system?

I used to frequent the BFI back when IMAX would release movies on 15-perf 70mm celluloid but haven’t bothered in recent years, what with them showing the same 2K version as my local Cineworld which I only have to pay a fiver Unlimited uplift for; the smaller screen making the screen door effect less distracting at least.

Shall have to check out Leicester Square’s 4K Dolby Cinema this summer to see how much better it is now than when I watched V for Vendetta there; never bothered to return after I discovered that the screen in that vast auditorium was no bigger than Screen 1 at my local fleapit o_O

You mean the people who purposefully keep trying to block new IMAX theatres being built in Yorkshire out of fear that they'll lose customers? I've no idea why they think that they've a right to dictate to other commercial cinemas just because they've been made a museum which they cannot afford to fund?

Leeds cinema squabble is a tale of two cities

Can anyone give me a postcode for this cinema in Leeds?
Is this the one in BD3 next to the Aagrah Indian restaraunt?

You mean the people who purposefully keep trying to block new IMAX theatres being built in Yorkshire out of fear that they'll lose customers? I've no idea why they think that they've a right to dictate to other commercial cinemas just because they've been made a museum which they cannot afford to fund?

Leeds cinema squabble is a tale of two cities

You’d think that the NMM would be even keener to upgrade to the new IMAX with Laser system, now that the White Rose IMAX has a bigger screen than them (24 x 14 metres Vs 20 x 16.5 metres) whilst Odeon has this new fangled Dolby Cinema to lure cinema aficionados from the area to them.

I’d consider resubscribing to Odeon’s Limitless scheme if they’d install a Dolby Cinema at their Milton Keynes multiplex and it proved superior to Watford Cineworld’s IMAX with Laser.

Can anyone give me a postcode for this cinema in Leeds?
Is this the one in BD3 next to the Aagrah Indian restaraunt?

The Springs,
Thorpe Park View,
Leeds
LS15 8GH

ODEON Luxe Cinema in Leeds | The Springs, Leeds

40322281_2137008323000574_116970414961525096_n.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom