NEWS: KEF unveils performance enhancing Uni-Core technology

It would be interesting to see if there will be higher performance in the same size or the same performance in a smaller size or both.

Not everyone has space for huge subs and speakers so there i can see it's used for both.

Well I suppose they could do a range of sizes, like most companies do. A head to head of a kef v another bigger sub would be interesting to see if its working. With some measurements rather than adjectives.

How much is marketing spiel compared to actual real improvement.

I'm sure many wives would like manufacturers to make great sounding matchbox size subs, some posters might too.

It's quite difficult to seek a large box into the lounge and protest its always been there or that you have moved it out of the garage.

Well, I've already had a premium Martin Logan dual opposing sub I loved for years, yet replaced it with two much larger DIY ones and am much happier :)
Size does matter in this space no matter tech IMO.

I still have my ML triple driver force cancelling subwoofer. I bought the Depth i (3 x 8" drives) rather than the Descent i (3 x 10" drives) for the simple reason that the Depth i was some 43 cm across, as opposed to the Descent i's 52cm, and that extra size made it harder to place (and meet the WAF).

KEF's ""concentrically arranged, overlapping voice coils", with its "significant reduction in the volume of the speaker or subwoofer cabinet" sounds very interesting.

Sounds insteresting but after experiencing the move from a prium brand's "compact" 10" ML Balanced Force technology I realised that size really does matter. One of my my subs is now a 4KW monster running at approx 10-20% perfromance maximum and the effortless performance really comes across. Its hard to explain but there is a real difference. However I am really courios as to what this iteration of the tech can achieve in limited spaces.

What speaker range is next in the lineup for a refresh?

“a single motor system can energise both cones.”

That could imply that its ability to stop and start the driver is blunted, and could lead to poor timing. Something to watch out for in any final product.

By contrast the SVS SB3000 Pro uses dual motors for one driver. I’ve not heard the sub, but the reviews seem to extoll its precision and timing.

KC62 Subwoofer

Even smaller than the KF92! The specs look similar, but the max output is apparently approximately half (SPL of 105dB Vs 110dB).

Interestingly they still mention 'dual' drivers with 2 X 500w.

Not cheap though at £1400 💰

KC62 Subwoofer
Interestingly they still mention 'dual' drivers with 2 X 500w.
Well, that is the idea of the Uni-core technology - packing dual drivers into a small space. The picture in your link shows it.

I'm interested to know how the technology performs in a "larger" model (larger room / SPL).

The woofer looked very small (about the size of a class 5 football was being mentioned) indeed, I think in addition to the Uni-Core Driver, what really differs is the drivers are not conventional both using P-Flex surround (which was inspired by Origami Kef say). This allows for more traversing travel which should as Kef say "resist the internal air pressures without adding excessive mass" (which the rubber reminded of an exaggerated T-Series driver surround) plus greatly increase timing (being taken control of by new Music Integrity Engine which processes which if I understood correctly in layman's terms, controls the driver before the signal is passed allowing for even greater control)

Sadly I didn't get to hear one as the trade-show was a webinar (as you would expect with CoVID restriction in place), but it did look like a neat solution with plenty of connectivity. The other side is the Kef KC62 is also designed to work with the other wireless products meaning you could create a wireless 2.1 streaming device without even owning a piece of high other than those three components and we know regarding the sound quality of the Kef's LS and LSX that musically they are one of the companies at the top of the pack for this type of solution

I did hear something which Kef are going to try with the new Kef KC62 which will be very special in this sector to although I'm not able to comment as I feel it was a passing comment which is currently being played around with, even though they were all excited about this option

This Subwoofer will also pave the way for a new era in Kef woofers going forward and who know what their line-up will look like in five years time :)

Last edited:
Well, that is the idea of the Uni-core technology - packing dual drivers into a small space. The picture in your link shows it.

I thought it would be, my comment was referring to:
“a single motor system can energise both cones.”

I don't think a KC62 is meant to compete in larger rooms with something like an SB3000 Pro.
I'm interested to know how the technology performs in a "larger" model (larger room / SPL).
Some of the KF92 reviews say it doesn't cope as well in larger rooms. KEF specify for rooms 10-100m², and the new KC62 as 10-50m².

I've never had any issue with volume on my KF92 in my relatively small 18-20m² room, the gain is set to about 1/3 and it's more than enough.

I don't have space for a second KF92, but I might be able to fit a KC62 to balance out the room modes/nulls.

I still have my ML triple driver force cancelling subwoofer. I bought the Depth i (3 x 8" drives) rather than the Descent i (3 x 10" drives) for the simple reason that the Depth i was some 43 cm across, as opposed to the Descent i's 52cm, and that extra size made it harder to place (and meet the WAF).

KEF's ""concentrically arranged, overlapping voice coils", with its "significant reduction in the volume of the speaker or subwoofer cabinet" sounds very interesting.

That's the Kate Beckinsale of sub woofers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom