NEWS: KEF unveils LS60 Wireless speaker system

fordster

I think these are a nice idea but personally not overly fond of the design (not a fan of most Kefs to be fair). What does surprise me is that they can’t do 192/24 without being wired. How come plenty of streamers manage to do this wirelessly? Of course you could argue that 192/24 is irrelevant!

gava

KEF GB

Novice Member
AVForums Sponsor
Does anyone know the dimensions of these? I can't seem to find this info online
Hi there, Here are the dimensions of the LS60 Wireless...

1090 x 212 x 394 mm (42.9 x 8.3 x 15.5 in.) with plinth
1042 x 130 x 321 mm (41.0 x 5.1 x 12.6 in.) without plinth

There are more details on the spec here: LS60 Wireless

Thanks,

KEF Team

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Hi there, Here are the dimensions of the LS60 Wireless...

1090 x 212 x 394 mm (42.9 x 8.3 x 15.5 in.) with plinth
1042 x 130 x 321 mm (41.0 x 5.1 x 12.6 in.) without plinth

There are more details on the spec here: LS60 Wireless

Thanks,

KEF Team
Is there a speaker cover option, I love the LS50’s but couldn’t keep them due to kids and the drivers looking so intriguing and being aluminium get dented far easier than traditional cones. I’ve had 3 sets of R100’s damaged due to taking the covers off and forgetting to put them back on!! :facepalm: I simply never remove the covers of my R7’s & R5’s now…

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
@Thatsnotmynaim quick look at the manual and it does not show a front cover/grill in the list of stuff you get in the box.

Also it says that you need at least 7.5cm from the rear wall which puts the front nearly 0.5m into the room, these are very deep.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
@Thatsnotmynaim quick look at the manual and it does not show a front cover/grill in the list of stuff you get in the box.

Also it says that you need at least 7.5cm from the rear wall which puts the front nearly 0.5m into the room, these are very deep.

Ok cheers, suspected so on the covers. The depth on these will be no more of an issue than with my R7’s I suspect which are sat either side of the tv so need to sit out a bit anyway.. One of Kef’s own pictures of the LS60’s shows the plinth virtually touching the wall so a bit misleading..

C1A2F351-723D-4BAB-8081-94EBB71926C2.jpeg

password1

Distinguished Member
Nice slim floorstanders but not quite as good looking as the blades. A passive version is needed.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Nice slim floorstanders but not quite as good looking as the blades. A passive version is needed.
I think they would struggle to produce a passive version. I suspect the four woofers in a small box has a pretty heafty Linkwitz transform to boost the bass which is enabled by the drivers likely having a long throw and a surplus of power. Without the power on tap and bass boost a passive version would either have limited bass, low efficiency or need a bigger cabinet (and porting), pick two of three (Iron’s law). But we can still hope.

password1

Distinguished Member
I think they would struggle to produce a passive version. I suspect the four woofers in a small box has a pretty heafty Linkwitz transform to boost the bass which is enabled by the drivers likely having a long throw and a surplus of power. Without the power on tap and bass boost a passive version would either have limited bass, low efficiency or need a bigger cabinet (and porting), pick two of three (Iron’s law). But we can still hope.
The ls50 came in a passive version and there are other floorstanders with multiple drivers so I don't see why a passive version is not possible. Perhaps passive radiators like the Q550..

gava

The ls50 came in a passive version and there are other floorstanders with multiple drivers so I don't see why a passive version is not possible. Perhaps passive radiators like the Q550..
If you watch the KEF interview here:

Skip to 2.00 mark to get the exact quote...

To paraphrase - this speaker could only be made active. Without the DSP and onboard amps a passive version of this size couldn't be made - it simply wouldn't perform.

Each speaker has 700W of amplification.

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member

So a totally different speaker then?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
So a totally different speaker then?
Yep -

LS50wII / LS50meta has a 5.25" coaxial, LS60 has a 4" coaxial+4x5.35" subwoofer units (well 2x double back to back units). The KC62 has two 6.5" subwoofers in back to back arrangement.

So all similar families but not the same drivers.

As already said the issue is making the four 5.25" subwoofers work passively as I suspect they are getting lots of help from DSP to boost the lower frequencies, the long throw allowing this which can't be done passively.

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Yep -

LS50wII has a 5.25" coaxial, LS60 has a 4" coaxial+4x5.35" subwoofer unites (well 2x double back to back units). the KC62 has two 6.5" subwoofers in back to back arrangement.

So all similar families but not the same drivers.

As already said the issue is making the four 5.25" subwoofers work passively as I suspect they are getting lots of help from DSP to boost the lower frequencies, the long throw allowing this which can't be done passively.

Indeed sir 👍 I can’t imagine what a mess would leak from these trying to use a passive version with even a monster amp. The signal shaping from the dsp must be prodigious.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
For the same price there are the new Dynaudio Focus 30s to consider.

They do all the stuff the Kefs do, and use Pascal amplifiers.

Plus Dirac live is an optional extra. 🤩🤩

Actives, and room correction coming thick and fast.

It’s the future. 🥳

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom