NEWS: KEF unveils LS50 Meta speaker and S2 Floor Stand

I Have the original LS50 as front left and right to my home cinema setup power by Marantz SR 7011, and I am really pleased with how they sound. If these new KEF LS50 Meta sounds much better then they must sound phenomenal.

£400 for those string bean stands??

I have every respect for Kef, but that’s a wilful outright theft.

...and, they had the chance to get rid of that orange driver... opportunity lost there.

"These Metas make the excellent R3s sound congested and ham-fisted in comparison, and that’s a real shock."

I reckon a pair of these and a small musical sub (such as a Gemini II) would be fabulous, and more than enough for most people and rooms.

The bass response number looks very poor. Looks like these are meant to be heard with a sub.

The bass response number looks very poor. Looks like these are meant to be heard with a sub.

Roughly the same as the old LS50. The video review I posted suggests the bass output is absolutely fine though.

They’re a small standmount. I’d expect nothing less if you’re after a full range.

Roughly the same as the old LS50. The video review I posted suggests the bass output is absolutely fine though.
Law of physics suggest little bass below 80Hz just like the old ones. Unless they now have a LS50 Tardis speaker. R3/R300 is alway going to be a more rounded speaker, while the LS50 works will in a sub-sat config which configuration wise put's it in another price bracket.

I have R700 and LS50 (driven from a 400w stereo amp) and I know which I would happen listen too without a sub. LS50+Paradigm seismic sub (has bass management) sounds wonderful but is going to set you back £2300 speakers and £1500+ amp, other vendors available of course.

These speakers probably suit people who doesn’t necessarily cares about deep bass, but imaging, and sound resolution that small stand mounted speakers can achieve vs big floor standing speakers.

What would be a good center channel to go with these? KEF used to sell the LS50c which I'm not sure if it was a different speaker or just labeled that way because it could be purchased as a single speaker: KEF LS50C Center channel speaker at Crutchfield

Would the previous LC50c sound alright with these? Sucks it wouldn't match exactly color wise.

The R2C would be nearest.
However if it were me I would buy another pair then sell one on as I am sure that you would get a good price for one

I can wholeheartedly recommend using a sub with the meta’s, I’m using the REL T5i in a medium size room and the pairing is phenomenal.

I can wholeheartedly recommend using a sub with the meta’s, I’m using the REL T5i in a medium size room and the pairing is phenomenal.
If so, is the sound difference much better then the regular KEF LS50 speakers? REL T5i, fabulous subwoofer👍. How do they cope with out a subwoofer? Many thanks.

Very intrigued to try and get a listen of these in the near future. I've owned my LS50's for a few years now and paired with my Lyngdorf tdai and pair of subs, absolutely love what they can do!
Convinced myself I had no need to upgrade unless one day I could afford a pair of
Kef Reference 1's !! 😍
These new LS50's have certainly piqued my interest though!

The metas sound very interesting and, if the reviews are to be believed, make them a bit of a no brainer for stand mounts in smaller rooms. I have a pair of original LS50s in a second system in my study and find the bass response in my particular room excellent. I have no hankering for a sub but in a bigger room I can see it being useful. In my main system I have a pair of large Zingali floor standers and twin BK subs so I can appreciate deep bass but what the old LS50s sacrifice in outright bass extension they make up for in bass quality. I have no choice but to have them relatively close to a wall (25cm) so use the partial port bungs. The quality of the LS50s for the price is astonishing and I got the limited all black anniversary edition reduced as "open box". They weren't open box given the company had to order them in as they were not in stock. Maybe they had to say that to justify the discount.

I figured KEF would move on from the current LS50 with a complete new design but I'm impressed they are upgrading an already great speaker.

@Paul7777x,
have a pair of KEF LS50's (with the orange drivers) sitting either side of my T.V. and two different friends (non hi-fi enthusiasts) have mentioned how much they liked the look of the speakers.

So who’s going to be the first recipient of these Metas? Looking forward to hearing about them.

So who’s going to be the first recipient of these Metas? Looking forward to hearing about them.

I am waiting on the colour I want arriving into stock and confirmation that I can get 3. As soon as that happens then me! Will be phoning round a few local dealers in the morning to see if I can get it sorted.

I am waiting on the colour I want arriving into stock and confirmation that I can get 3. As soon as that happens then me! Will be phoning round a few local dealers in the morning to see if I can get it sorted.
Looking forward to hearing your findings 👍

@Paul7777x,
have a pair of KEF LS50's (with the orange drivers) sitting either side of my T.V. and two different friends (non hi-fi enthusiasts) have mentioned how much they liked the look of the speakers.

:D

It‘s all a question of personal taste sir.

I think all black ones would have looked first class with a satin silver/aluminium cone.

I called KEF and they said there are no immediate plans to sell single LS50 metas. The person I spoke to said he thought it would be at least a year or maybe 2 before they would package them individually.

I also was surprised to find out KEF does not charge sales tax when shipping to california which is rare these days.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom