News: JVC unveils new NZ9, NZ8 and NZ7 laser projectors

That applies to any equipment, but bear in mind Sony and JVC are used to releasing new PJs with new features every single year, most Lumagen platforms have supported current displays easily over 5 years and more. Yes, If I'd bought an XS model just 1 year before the Pro came out with full 4K support, I might have been a bit miffed, but thats not really a Lumagen problem, its a consumer electronics/technology problem. Likewise, the availability of modular 9Ghz HDMI cards, that gave customers an option to move (gradually) to 18Ghz cards, I am sure you won't hear any Lumagen owners complaining about their 18Ghz upgrades, as if it was any other AV Manufacturer you've have been forced to buy/replace the whole thing over again. AIUI HDMI 2.1 features may also be possible on the 18Ghz cards, the only big-feature Lumagen wont support in the near future is 8K processing.
Buying Lumagen is a choice, its just not a cheap choice, and its not a lasting toy, lets say you started with the Lumagen HDQ, then you moved on to the Lumagen XS 3d, and from there you got the 2143, and then the Lumagen pro 9ghz, upgraded that to the 18ghz, and now we are pushing 48ghz, so they will have to come up with a solution for that if they want to stay in business.

Lumagen makes great processors, and great support, but its far from a one buy, and plug and play, just look at the firmware update list, to keep yourself in the loop of the latest and greatest on both hardware and software, it really cost a pretty penny and demands some attention.

Yes JVC used to bring out new models every year, but skipping 3 generations would not mean much compared to skipping 1 lumagen generation.

I still think Lumagen is for the few, and especially for those with very complex automated setups, for the average JVC owner, it wont make much sene to drop the money on a Lumagen and skip 2-3 projector upgrades.

Buying Lumagen is a choice, its just not a cheap choice, and its not a lasting toy, lets say you started with the Lumagen HDQ, then you moved on to the Lumagen XS 3d, and from there you got the 2143, and then the Lumagen pro 9ghz, upgraded that to the 18ghz, and now we are pushing 48ghz, so they will have to come up with a solution for that if they want to stay in business.

Lumagen makes great processors, and great support, but its far from a one buy, and plug and play, just look at the firmware update list, to keep yourself in the loop of the latest and greatest on both hardware and software, it really cost a pretty penny and demands some attention.

Yes JVC used to bring out new models every year, but skipping 3 generations would not mean much compared to skipping 1 lumagen generation.

I still think Lumagen is for the few, and especially for those with very complex automated setups, for the average JVC owner, it wont make much sene to drop the money on a Lumagen and skip 2-3 projector upgrades.
I managed to swap out the 9ghz to 18ghz hdmi board at no cost.

The firmware also makes no difference to any settings or calibration, so yes, it is plug and play.

I managed to swap out the 9ghz to 18ghz hdmi board at no cost.

The firmware also makes no difference to any settings or calibration, so yes, it is plug and play.
Could you share who swaps 9ghz to 18ghz cards for no cost please, think there will be a few here to jump on that one?

So you never had the HDQ, XS/XE, 20XX and 21XX series?

Could you share who swaps 9ghz to 18ghz cards for no cost please, think there will be a few here to jump on that one?

So you never had the HDQ, XS/XE, 20XX and 21XX series?
I had a xs a long time ago, but the Pro models have been out around 5 years, Jim has already said that they’ll contribute with the pro platform for some more years to come. Unless 8k becomes a normal thing, then the pro will last for many years yet.

This isn’t a lumagen thread so we’re miles off topic, but you do seem to question it all of the time without ever actually using one or seeing one in action (Pro I’m talking about here)

I had a xs a long time ago, but the Pro models have been out around 5 years, Jim has already said that they’ll contribute with the pro platform for some more years to come. Unless 8k becomes a normal thing, then the pro will last for many years yet.

This isn’t a lumagen thread so we’re miles off topic, but you do seem to question it all of the time without ever actually using one or seeing one in action (Pro I’m talking about here)
Im not questioning what it do, im discussing if its worth the money to those on a budget, and if they are better off buying a new 4K jvc projector with 48ghz hdmi support and tone mapping for HDR10/ HDR10+ built-in.
No doubt your lucky to have one, but as you said the JVC would only be 90% without the Lumagen, i would like to know what is those 10%?
And maybe you could share what kind of money it has cost you to own the Lumagen pro?

lets say you started with the Lumagen HDQ, then you moved on to the Lumagen XS 3d, and from there you got the 2143, and then the Lumagen pro 9ghz, upgraded that to the 18ghz
That's exactly what I did apart from I went from XS3D to Pro. Here Lumagen offered a really good trade-in offer to get Beta testers onto the Pro platform, another thing you do not often see from AV Manufacturers. This actually covers 20 years! I've had around 10 display devices and just as many Audio processors in that period, 3 sets of speakers, etc., and I don't think that's unusual with this hobby, and lets be clear - only a proper AV hobbyist ever gets to a JVC or Sony PJ in their home..

Ill not recommend running Autocal, as there is not much auto over it, you will need multiple meters, and different calibration software to check before and after performance, and do real calibration adjustments.
There is also quite a high chance that the autocal will mess up the projector.

Especially if using the Spyder X

Consider the autocal as a tool in the toolbox for calibration.

calibration really needs to be in your setting to best optimise for it and for your projection conditions :) its only 100s surely vs thousands spent on the projector.. well worth doing to get best from it :)

an autocal is not a calibration....it is not an auto either. i wouldnt class in the simple... there is a lot more to a calibration vs running an autocal.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like autocal is not the route for me, so glad I asked.

I've put in my order for the NZ7 this morning and opted for the offered calibration. It's not ideal not being in my space, but it's the only opportunity I really have at it being done professionally because of my location. I'll just have to make the best of it :)

I'm so excited to see my first ever JVC projector in person! I'm coming from a very old 1080P Epson 8500UB I bought over 10 years ago, so I'm expecting to see a massive improvement.

just prepare to spend 3 weeks with your nose in the manual, and following years finding out what your doing.

Or for a little extra get Gordon in to do all that for you. Being a laser that calibration should last you for years.

I’ll be posting later/over the weekend to give a subjective review of the now calibrated NZ9, which replaced my calibrated NX9, courtesy of Gordon and my Lumagen 5348. Gordon kindly supplied both…top man! For reference I’m using a Stewart Studiotech 130 G4 screen that is 123 inches wide. It’s a non standard ratio half way between 2.4 and 16.9….compromise works for me in my space. Room is 95% velvet bat cave with just a few painted/non velvet surfaces like sofa/skirting/window dressing and dark painted back walls and door.

As Gordon says earlier it looks pretty damn good!

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the Sony laser vs JVC bulb here Mark.
Not much in it to be honest, both have their strengths and both kick out stunning images.

Do you have a buyer for moving on one of them once you decide?
Potentially.

Honestly they’re so closely matched.

JVC wins on the following:

Black levels
Convergence and Focus - this is obvious with graphics, such as the Zappiti menu or subtitles.

Sony wins on the following:
Noise levels - It is much quieter, even with the jvc in low lamp
Throw ratio flexibility
Slightly better with noisier images - jvc seems to highlight mosquito noise more

Other than that, they literally look like the same image. Both giving stunning results. In fact, if I swapped the projectors round halfway through my open days, I don’t think anyone would actually notice other than the noise of the unit itself.

Potentially.

Black levels
Convergence and Focus - this is obvious with graphics, such as the Zappiti menu or subtitles.

Throw ratio flexibility
Slightly better with noisier images - jvc seems to highlight mosquito noise more

Other than that, they literally look like the same image. Both giving stunning results. In fact, if I swapped the projectors round halfway through my open days, I don’t think anyone would actually notice other than the noise of the unit itself.
Do you notice any ‘calmness’ between the two with one being laser based? How about fade to black?

Really gives me food for thought. I’d love an NX9 but it sounds like the Sony would be an equally great choice.

If you decide you’d like to move the NX9 on I’d be very interested, but appreciate you‘ve only just got it and may have other interest already 👍

Do you notice any ‘calmness’ between the two with one being laser based? How about fade to black?

Really gives me food for thought. I’d love an NX9 but it sounds like the Sony would be an equally great choice.

If you decide you’d like to move the NX9 on I’d be very interested, but appreciate you‘ve only just got it and may have other interest already 👍
I don’t use fade to black on my Sony as I don’t actually like it. Calmness of the noise maybe laser related, but also may just be Sony related.

Going to watch a couple of films before deciding what to do, but at the moment, I’m swaying towards keeping the Sony.

I don’t use fade to black on my Sony as I don’t actually like it. Calmness of the noise maybe laser related, but also may just be Sony related.

Going to watch a couple of films before deciding what to do, but at the moment, I’m swaying towards keeping the Sony.

I thought this might be the case.

Sony's noise levels, motion and picture processing are IMO severely underrated.

Potentially.

Black levels

Throw ratio flexibility

Hows your MPC levels set on the JVC?

So some initial thoughts on the NZ9…..
-it’s bright, like really bright. Far more so than the NX9. If you have a big screen then it’s a no brainier (like 4m wide)
-it has both lower black levels and higher perceived contrast than the NX9, it’s clear to see.
-The eshift system is improved and adds both a decent level of sharpness and depth to the image that the NX9 only hints at.
-This all adds up to a depth of clarity and detail to the picture that I’ve not seen bettered by anything. Period.
It doesn’t make the NX9 look bad by any means, it just betters it in most respects, building on its strengths.
Fan noise levels are imo unchanged from the NX9…high is similar to high and mid is similar to low. Maybe low on the NZ9 is slightly quieter but doubt anyone will use this setting except with a smaller screen. Mid enables the iris to be shut down a fair way to maximize contrast in SDR.
Clearly JVC can improve the software a little as there are a few bugs present, but nothing earth shattering.
You get the feeling that this is the pinnacle of projection technology. Indeed compared to where the technology was 15 years ago we are very lucky to have this image quality at home.
Beware the NZ9 reveals ruthlessly what’s on the disk. If it’s not perfect, you can see. SFX can look well, like SFX…
I doubt many people will want for more and I suspect that in time JVC will have improved the performance again through some software updates.
Would I rush to upgrade from x to z? Well that is a matter of personal choice. If you want that 20% extra that the law of diminishing returns brings then yes. It’s clear to see its better. I’d say unless your screen is at least 3m wide, you might not get the full benefit. In the context of a high end system, it’s the new king in town.
Thanks to Gordon for getting me the first….now we work together to get feedback to JVC and Lumagen to get the combo working at its best.
Anyone thinking about the Z series you are well placed with Gordon’s expertise in this space, and his knowledge of the range, especially if you have a Lumagen!

If I had the budget to buy a Z9 and a Lumagen I’d definitely get it calibrated professionally. Even if you wanted to go up another learning curve

Gordon’s calibrated at least one NZ9 this week

@IWC Dopplel just had a little viewing session with my NZ9, he knows my system well and spent plenty of time viewing the NX9. Sure he will share his thoughts….we are in agreement.

Okay, a very enjoyable 2hours watching a calibrated NZ9 at Adams place (all of 400 yards away !). Well I had quite big expectations and I have seen the NX9 in the same room same set up.

Crikey, quite a big step forward in my view. The most obvious thing that struck me just seeing the backdrop to the first film was the solidity to the image and even the set up screen looked impressive.

First up was the 2K Oblivion, a film I use as a reference for audio (mainly because I have played it to death and ofcourse its a good transfer). Bloody hell why do people crave 4k ?!? This looks so orgnanic and detailed, the image depth and punch along with realism and naturalness was really quite remarkable. Motion was also very impressive, in a way that underlines insight. I was left noticing things I have already seen, but in a blimey that looks real. The ability to look into a scene was I believe better than anything I have seen before, I cant A-B to the Z1 or some of the other PJ's that left a mark in the past. But at least for me this looks very special

The extra lumens and the ability to close down the iris and get the levels of contrast that you rarely see definitely helps. Dark merky scenes had an ease to see into and feel real, move out into the light and it reminds you of how you react in real life as your eyes adjust.

Colours look spectacular, not overblown or anything unnatural but beautifully real, again bringing you further, deeper into the film. I can here that Adams subs are running in nicely as the bass was even more visceral and effortless than the last time I heard them. Surely everyone should have a 24" sub !

If I was writing notes I'd say compare to the NX9

1. Better contrast
  2. Better motion
  3. More impact and punch
  4. even more stable and 'analogue'
  5. More dynamic range between dark scenes and bright scenes
  6. more natural colour
  7. Greater apparent image depth
  8. Even more detail
Overall the changes add up to what you would hope to be the case. Just much more real, a greater sense of being there. It's like someone cleaned the glass and you hadn't realised until now to was a little bit merky

I saw clips from numerous 2K and 4K films and each time I felt closer to being there, is it worth £25k ?

Well if your a film buff and have the cash I doubt you'd be disappointed.....Not something I often say about £25k on one item (unless its a car perhaps)

I'll add a few more comments later after revisiting the same scenes at home

Okay, a very enjoyable 2hours watching a calibrated NZ9 at Adams place (all of 400 yards away !). Well I had quite big expectations and I have seen the NX9 in the same room same set up.

Crikey, quite a big step forward in my view. The most obvious thing that struck me just seeing the backdrop to the first film was the solidity to the image and even the set up screen looked impressive.

First up was the 2K Oblivion, a film I use as a reference for audio (mainly because I have played it to death and ofcourse its a good transfer). Bloody hell why do people crave 4k ?!? This looks so orgnanic and detailed, the image depth and punch along with realism and naturalness was really quite remarkable. Motion was also very impressive, in a way that underlines insight. I was left noticing things I have already seen, but in a blimey that looks real. The ability to look into a scene was I believe better than anything I have seen before, I cant A-B to the Z1 or some of the other PJ's that left a mark in the past. But at least for me this looks very special

The extra lumens and the ability to close down the iris and get the levels of contrast that you rarely see definitely helps. Dark merky scenes had an ease to see into and feel real, move out into the light and it reminds you of how you react in real life as your eyes adjust.

Colours look spectacular, not overblown or anything unnatural but beautifully real, again bringing you further, deeper into the film. I can here that Adams subs are running in nicely as the bass was even more visceral and effortless than the last time I heard them. Surely everyone should have a 24" sub !

If I was writing notes I'd say compare to the NX9

1. Better contrast
  2. Better motion
  3. More impact and punch
  4. even more stable and 'analogue'
  5. More dynamic range between dark scenes and bright scenes
  6. more natural colour
  7. Greater apparent image depth
  8. Even more detail
Overall the changes add up to what you would hope to be the case. Just much more real, a greater sense of being there. It's like someone cleaned the glass and you hadn't realised until now to was a little bit merky

I saw clips from numerous 2K and 4K films and each time I felt closer to being there, is it worth £25k ?

Well if your a film buff and have the cash I doubt you'd be disappointed.....Not something I often say about £25k on one item (unless its a car perhaps)

I'll add a few more comments later after revisiting the same scenes at home
i dont like you anymore Adrian! :(

A few other comments : Sorry to Mark :thumbsdow !

I was thinking through how to describe how the additional contrast, the extra Lumens on HDR and the seemingly marginal improvements in a number of areas manifest themselves.

I suspect when its on the bench, they will show most of the observations that Adam noted and I could see. In some ways whether this is 5% better, 25% better or 50% better, kind of doesn't matter, what does 25% really mean ? We know that any sense that we as humans have are not linear and some things matter a great deal and some simply don't.

If I was describing what does the list of image improvements mean. I keep coming back to what I saw on familiar films. I was struck by the image stability and clarity, this was indeed like looking through clean glass, in a very analogue way. Not quite the same as an impressive 'sharp' flat panel screen. I didnt feel the urge to count facial hairs to check edge sharpness or anything else I was just struck by the insight to the film I now had. Take the scene on Lucy when the case is handcuffed to Scalett's wrist, its a second at most. That little 'snippet' felt very much like the glance down you have in real life, sure I'd seen that before, but what made it more impactful and real ? I suspect it was the processing speed and the marginally better motion handling, getting a few more things right.

I'm not a fan of the Greatest Showman and find some of the scenes a little 'dull' with what can often look soft and lacking dynamic range. What the NZ9 did here was allow you to see through that and feel more in the scene with, lower light - colours dulled and dynamic range limited but somehow you were still 'there' to a greater extent than I have seen before.

Another point that came across better than I can recall seeing before was image depth and the ability this has to draw you in and make the scene much, much more immersive. Watching the start of Blade Runner 2049, flying over California in 2049 was more interesting and immersive, the panoramic views in Oblivion drew you in and made more impact to the scene.

I dont want to be too over the top, hey its a projector, not an evening with Ms Johannson ! But I do feel this is far enough ahead of the NX9 in Adams room to put any film on and know you are watching a different projector. Also nice that the improvements over the NX9 seem to add to the film experience, not just prove a point. Does it make the NX9 look bad - No way, I can see why you would want to change (sorry Mark) as its a pace forward. Not like the older JVC upgrades where you really needed to wait for 2 or more model upgrades before trading up to be worthwhile. We all hope that when you spend £25k on one item it will be 'amazing' or transformational and often you walk away thinking, very nice but really for those who want the last 5% left on the table. On this occasion crazy numbers made more sense.

Again this is all very subjective. But I do think JVC appear to have lifted their game to match the price lift. Darn shame there aren't hundreds of thousands wanting a PJ of this calibre and they could lower manufacturing costs and get it much nearer to the £10k mark....

I'm looking forward to a few 'proper' reviews

I think it's time to sell the car and get the wife a push bike. She's always moaning about how she would like to lose weight 😏

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom