News: JVC unveils new NZ9, NZ8 and NZ7 laser projectors

Mental.

Laser
HDMI 2.1
8K E-Shift
4K 120hz
HDR10+
Entry £9,999 (or less hopefully)
Massive lumen boost 2200 base model (biggest jump since X5000 series jump)

God damn insane specs; literally this is the entire list of specs most people wanted prior to release. Only wish the price was a little lower.

JVC have delivered and are truly turning into a brand which is realising a ridiculously high level of quality releases. This new release must have a 3-5 year lifespan before needing a refresh.

Puts companies like Epson & Sony to shame

While I appreciate the price is quite expensive, when you consider all you're getting and when you compare it to the Sony laser projectors, it's actually surprisingly competitive. Compared to JVC's current line-up the Sony's weren't in the same ballpark, but with this new range they're not even playing the same sport!

While I appreciate the price is quite expensive, when you consider all you're getting and when you compare it to the Sony laser projectors, it's actually surprisingly competitive pricing. Compared to JVC's current line-up the Sony's weren't in the same ballpark, but with this new range they're not even playing the same sport!

Steve any news on UK pricing? Do you think we'll get shafted with a straight swap the dollar sign for a £ sign or can we expect some form of adjustment in our favour?

Steve any news on UK pricing? Do you think we'll get shafted with a straight swap the dollar sign for a £ sign or can we expect some form of adjustment in our favour?
I honestly don't know at the moment, but I think we'll find out the actual pricing towards the end of next week.

I honestly don't know at the moment, but I think we'll find out the actual pricing towards the end of next week.
Will you be upgrading your N7?

Highly likely, as this is the way it has always been, but to be confirmed.
Hoping it will be before then ;)

Any info in regards to the input lag?

Did the video say it still takes 40 seconds for NZ7 to produce picture from startup? I thought laser was like turning on a tv?

Hopefully they won't have the poor black levels as reported in your review of the JVC Z1 or I'll be hanging on to my N7

Hopefully they won't have the poor black levels as reported in your review of the JVC Z1 or I'll be hanging on to my N7
That's the million dollar question. The N7 delivers 80,000:1 on a peak brightness of 1,900 lumens, and the NZ8 delivers the same contrast at a peak brightness of 2,500 lumens. If the two had the same black floor the contrast ratio on the NZ8 should be higher due to the increased brightness.

Did the video say it still takes 40 seconds for NZ7 to produce picture from startup? I thought laser was like turning on a tv?
That's a bit of a fallacy, and one that I'm guilty of perpetuating. Laser projectors boot up faster than lamp projectors, but they still take a while. They do shut down much faster though, because there's no lamp to cool down first.

That's a bit of a fallacy, and one that I'm guilty of perpetuating. Laser projectors boot up faster than lamp projectors, but they still take a while. They do shut down much faster though, because there's no lamp to cool down first.
Yes, it takes my LS10000 about 20 seconds from switching on to producing a useable picture. It comes on faster than that, and displays the Epson logo - but almost exactly 20 seconds for it to finish booting and display the input image. (sad I know, but I've just timed it to confirm)!

The lower end of these is probably the only thing that could tempt me away from the Epson - better start saving!

Am I right though in saying these don't have a motorised lens cover? Does anyone without these find that an issue - I've been spoilt with the Epson.

Yes, it takes my LS10000 about 20 seconds from switching on to producing a useable picture. It comes on faster than that, and displays the Epson logo - but almost exactly 20 seconds for it to finish booting and display the input image. (sad I know, but I've just timed it to confirm)!

The lower end of these is probably the only thing that could tempt me away from the Epson - better start saving!

Am I right though in saying these don't have a motorised lens cover? Does anyone without these find that an issue - I've been spoilt with the Epson.
I guess it depends on how dusty your environment is, but I haven't had any issues with my N7 and that doesn't have a motorised lens cover.

I guess it depends on how dusty your environment is, but I haven't had any issues with my N7 and that doesn't have a motorised lens cover.
So you don’t bother covering the lens at all? Or you cover it manually each time?

If it remains clear without needing a cover, then that‘s good news - I had always assumed that because the Epsons have motorised covers that a cover was a necessity - if it isn’t needed, then that’s great. :smashin: It leaves me reassured that the JVCs not having a cover isn’t an issue.

So you don’t bother covering the lens at all? Or you cover it manually each time?

If it remains clear without needing a cover, then that‘s good news - I had always assumed that because the Epsons have motorised covers that a cover was a necessity - if it isn’t needed, then that’s great. :smashin: It leaves me reassured that the JVCs not having a cover isn’t an issue.
No I don't, mainly because the lens cap is tricky to get on and off. Epson's LCD projectors don't have a sealed light path, so keeping out dust is important. It's not really an issue with LCoS projectors like the N7 and LS10000.

That's the million dollar question. The N7 delivers 80,000:1 on a peak brightness of 1,900 lumens, and the NZ8 delivers the same contrast at a peak brightness of 2,500 lumens. If the two had the same black floor the contrast ratio on the NZ8 should be higher due to the increased brightness.

with lumens just a point on this though is the p3 filter ... with filter applied and losses of 10% is only what am seeing on my N7 vs 25-20% they are saying for the Nz8/9 with p3 applied... so in reality then with p3 filter there is only about 50 lumens difference between these in peak luminance ? :D

with lumens just a point on this though is the p3 filter ... with filter applied and losses of 10% is only what am seeing on my N7 vs 25-20% they are saying for the Nz8/9 with p3 applied... so in reality then with p3 filter there is only about 50 lumens difference between these in peak luminance ? :D

A fair point. Although I would always have been turning off the filter with an N7 to get all the lumens possible and after doing a few demos comparing on and off, would have been OK with that. It also seems standard for the RS4500/Z1 to be run without the filter and ppl still picking that over an NX9. The next few weeks/months will be interesting!

t also seems standard for the RS4500/Z1 to be run without the filter and ppl still picking that over an NX9. The next few weeks/months will be interesting!
thats only because the Z1 takes a massive 40% off peak lumens :D thats why they switch it off :D thank goodness they have been able to optimise the filter/laser on the Nz8/9 to get down to 25-30% loss

A fair point. Although I would always have been turning off the filter with an N7 to get all the lumens possible and after doing a few demos comparing on and off, would have been OK with that.
I run with the filter myself and its pro calibrated doing an excellent job... with the dynamic tone mapping you can run at quite low peak luminance too as low as 22 FL for HDr.. though appreciate if need every FL you can get and run sans filter to give up full p3 :)

thats only because the Z1 takes a massive 40% off peak lumens :D thats why they switch it off :D thank goodness they have been able to optimise the filter/laser on the Nz8/9 to get down to 25-30% loss
I meant they choose the results of the Z1 without the filter over the NX series with, so it's not the end of the world. I did see some benefit to the filter in demos, but it wasn't a big deal/selling point to me. Especially as bulbs dim and lumens become all the more important. Ironically it's more attractive with laser due to greater lumen stability and I definitely won't be using it with one.

I run with the filter myself and its pro calibrated doing an excellent job... with the dynamic tone mapping you can run at quite low peak luminance too as low as 22 FL for HDr.. though appreciate if need every FL you can get and run sans filter to give up full p3 :)
Good to hear! I'm aiming at around 25 as the laser dims and good to know it still looks good.

HDR10+ but not Dolby Vision? <Facepalm>

A fair point. Although I would always have been turning off the filter with an N7 to get all the lumens possible and after doing a few demos comparing on and off, would have been OK with that. It also seems standard for the RS4500/Z1 to be run without the filter and ppl still picking that over an NX9. The next few weeks/months will be interesting!

Choosing between 7% more coverage of P3 and more lumens for increased dynamic range in HDR content is really an easy choice - I'd pick lumens every single day.

HDR, especially in projector world, is where we need as much lumens as possible. Even if the P3 filter only cut away 10%, I'd personally still be inclined to leave it off to get the brightest, punchiest image with the best perceived specular highlights possible and reachable peak display luminance.

JVC's tone mapping and colour mapping is likely the best in the projector world anyway.

No doubt its annoying they're still using a P3 filter but that suggests to me EVERYONE will be this generation then.

Even with the P3 filter, due to the lumen bump, the NZ is STILL brighter, and its going to be THAT bright for longer.

An NX7 with a P3 filter is always going to be dimmer than an NZ with a P3 filter after 500-1000 hours due to the bulb dimming anyway, which will normally mean NX7 users if they want the same lumen output will veentually need to get rid of the P3 filter.

I'm totally in agreement with you that running without a filter for HDR content is probably the way to go anyway. PJs aren't exactly light cannons and they need every single lumen possible to extract the best possible image.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom