News: JVC unveils new NZ9, NZ8 and NZ7 laser projectors

MickB

I think it's time to sell the car and get the wife a push bike. She's always moaning about how she would like to lose weight 😏
when she kills you when you 'suggest' this, can you leave some of your kit to me in your will please? ;)

Apollo

A few other comments : Sorry to Mark :thumbsdow !

I was thinking through how to describe how the additional contrast, the extra Lumens on HDR and the seemingly marginal improvements in a number of areas manifest themselves.

I suspect when its on the bench, they will show most of the observations that Adam noted and I could see. In some ways whether this is 5% better, 25% better or 50% better, kind of doesn't matter, what does 25% really mean ? We know that any sense that we as humans have are not linear and some things matter a great deal and some simply don't.

If I was describing what does the list of image improvements mean. I keep coming back to what I saw on familiar films. I was struck by the image stability and clarity, this was indeed like looking through clean glass, in a very analogue way. Not quite the same as an impressive 'sharp' flat panel screen. I didnt feel the urge to count facial hairs to check edge sharpness or anything else I was just struck by the insight to the film I now had. Take the scene on Lucy when the case is handcuffed to Scalett's wrist, its a second at most. That little 'snippet' felt very much like the glance down you have in real life, sure I'd seen that before, but what made it more impactful and real ? I suspect it was the processing speed and the marginally better motion handling, getting a few more things right.

I'm not a fan of the Greatest Showman and find some of the scenes a little 'dull' with what can often look soft and lacking dynamic range. What the NZ9 did here was allow you to see through that and feel more in the scene with, lower light - colours dulled and dynamic range limited but somehow you were still 'there' to a greater extent than I have seen before.

Another point that came across better than I can recall seeing before was image depth and the ability this has to draw you in and make the scene much, much more immersive. Watching the start of Blade Runner 2049, flying over California in 2049 was more interesting and immersive, the panoramic views in Oblivion drew you in and made more impact to the scene.

I dont want to be too over the top, hey its a projector, not an evening with Ms Johannson ! But I do feel this is far enough ahead of the NX9 in Adams room to put any film on and know you are watching a different projector. Also nice that the improvements over the NX9 seem to add to the film experience, not just prove a point. Does it make the NX9 look bad - No way, I can see why you would want to change (sorry Mark) as its a pace forward. Not like the older JVC upgrades where you really needed to wait for 2 or more model upgrades before trading up to be worthwhile. We all hope that when you spend £25k on one item it will be 'amazing' or transformational and often you walk away thinking, very nice but really for those who want the last 5% left on the table. On this occasion crazy numbers made more sense.

Again this is all very subjective. But I do think JVC appear to have lifted their game to match the price lift. Darn shame there aren't hundreds of thousands wanting a PJ of this calibre and they could lower manufacturing costs and get it much nearer to the £10k mark....

I'm looking forward to a few 'proper' reviews
Don’t envy you making a decision on what comments to write with your knowing both Adam and Mark. More difficult than my commenting on Marks new aquisition, albiet having to be a bit careful as only one will be staying long term!

Didn’t stop you giving one of them a metaphorical shoeing though :D

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Don’t envy you making a decision on what comments to write with your knowing both Adam and Mark. More difficult than my commenting on Marks new aquisition, albiet having to be a bit careful as only one will be staying long term!

Didn’t stop you giving one of them a metaphorical shoeing though :D

Its definitely not that the NX9 is bad as we know its very, very good indeed and always will be, its just that the NZ9 is the new king. :)

Lets not forget an audio com modded Pioneer 800, a 5348 Lumagen and a Stewart screen are in the mix, perhaps the gap would be smaller in a lesser set up

Apollo

Its definitely not that the NX9 is bad as we know its very, very good indeed and always will be, its just that the NZ9 is the new king. :)

Lets not forget an audio com modded Pioneer 800, a 5348 Lumagen and a Stewart screen are in the mix, perhaps the gap would be smaller in a lesser set up
The NZ9 sounds exceptional to be noticeably better than the NX9 image I was seeing yesterday. Can’t wait to see one at some point :thumbsup:

Only issue with the NZ series is the law of diminishing returns is beginning to bite very hard due to the price hikes. When I’m sitting here looking at what is IMO an image I’d rate very conservatively at 90% for SDR and 80% for HDR of the Sony 760 or NX9 for a third the cost of either it puts some perspective on the hobby we enjoy.

CaroleBaskin

Distinguished Member
The NZ9 sounds exceptional to be noticeably better than the NX9 image I was seeing yesterday. Can’t wait to see one at some point :thumbsup:

Only issue with the NZ series is the law of diminishing returns is beginning to bite very hard due to the price hikes. When I’m sitting here looking at what is IMO an image I’d rate very conservatively at 90% for SDR and 80% for HDR of the Sony 760 or NX9 for a third the cost of either it puts some perspective on the hobby we enjoy.
Hi, which projector is that? Apologies if it’s in your signature, I’m on mobile site.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Hi, which projector is that? Apologies if it’s in your signature, I’m on mobile site.
He was viewing both the nx9 and 760 at mine yesterday.

adamleon

I’d say the NZ9 offers an improvement relative to its cost, not taking in any account of diminishing returns. However it’s all relative to how much time you spend watching it, how sensitive you are and what else you could spend the money on. I use the wife test….could she (who cares less) see/hear the difference if she didn’t know anything had changed? Well with most upgrades like new speakers, amps, processors, cables and god knows what else the answer is probably no. With the NZ9 compared to the NX9 the answer would be yes. However, I suspect she’d rather spend the difference on shoes, dresses and bags and suggest that was a far better investment!! 🤷🏻‍♂️😊

Apollo

Sony VW360ES + Lumagen Pro 4242 on a Seymour UF screen, calibrated by Gordon.

A bit short on Lumens compared to the 760 (very short to NX9 in high lamp) for HDR hence probably only 80% of the pop and HDR’ness. For SDR given the same panels, processing and lens and as the 760 I‘m maybe selling it short but need to be humble in this company!

Film looks like film so that’s job done as far as I am concerned :)
…still wouldn’t say no to a NZ if I could though!

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
while I wait to be able to demo one of these, in order to either rationalise an upgrade or persuade myself it's unnecessary (but probably the former....) I knocked up a little spreadsheet using some the measurements that have been posted on avs + published specs in order to work out how much light one or the other model will produce, whether it meets my target (and at what iris level) & how long that will last if it does. I guess it might be useful to someone else so thought I'd post it, assume you can then copy it and play around with the numbers

the screen gain numbers + iris losses + measured (calibrated) output are taken from various recent avs threads but obviously you can change these as you like. The white cells are intended to meant to be editable so you can twiddle the various knobs that influence lumens requirement & pj capability.

View attachment 1637790

sadly for my wallet, doing this suggests I should really get the NZ9... probably I need to think harder about my nits target :) anyway the cals seem accurate to me but no guarantees provided!

mb3195

Distinguished Member
while I wait to be able to demo one of these, in order to either rationalise an upgrade or persuade myself it's unnecessary (but probably the former....) I knocked up a little spreadsheet using some the measurements that have been posted on avs + published specs in order to work out how much light one or the other model will produce, whether it meets my target (and at what iris level) & how long that will last if it does. I guess it might be useful to someone else so thought I'd post it, assume you can then copy it and play around with the numbers

the screen gain numbers + iris losses + measured (calibrated) output are taken from various recent avs threads but obviously you can change these as you like. The white cells are intended to meant to be editable so you can twiddle the various knobs that influence lumens requirement & pj capability.

View attachment 1637790

sadly for my wallet, doing this suggests I should really get the NZ9... probably I need to think harder about my nits target :) anyway the cals seem accurate to me but no guarantees provided!

Can’t make out the whole spreadsheet from my phone, but as point of reference, the second hand NX9 that I’ve just picked up with 800 hours on the bulb is currently kicking out 1797 lumens on high lamp and 1316 on low lamp (using auto iris). Be interesting to see what a new bulb will do, but looks like there isn’t much light loss on these projectors with bulbs below 1000 hours as I’m not expecting my of an increase on that.

Last edited:

rigman

Enjoying the write ups and reviews of the new JVC's. The Z9 sounds like it is a stunning unit which if it manages to be reliable could be good enough for many many years.

I currently dont have a projector though I had many JVC's and others over the years selling my last one a JVC X900 in 2017. I keep flirting with going back before I get too old.

I noticed the prices have risen dramacally though I remember paying £8500 for a secondhand Barco 808G with Taw Rock processor in 2002. I put that into a inflation calculator and it comes out at over 14k so considering that todays projector are night and day better the price seems quite reasonable really.
The difference being though in them days the best TV,s were CRT and 36. Now with very large screens available with stunning pq make it a harder choice.

Keep up the good work guys :)

adamleon

I’m not sure cheap is a word that springs to mind….but compared to my Sony G90 with Faroudja Quad I guess it’s the bargain of the century…!!!!

adamleon

In referring to 1997 btw!

I knew I would get no reasonable information, but just for sh*ts and giggles, I emailed JVC to ask if there was any information available about VRR potentially being added to the NZ line via firmware.

The reps response was that these are high end home theatre projectors not designed for gaming and that if that was what I wanted I should have bought a different projector... interesting response considering the heavy 4k120 marketing and that only ever being beneficial to gamers.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I knew I would get no reasonable information, but just for sh*ts and giggles, I emailed JVC to ask if there was any information available about VRR potentially being added to the NZ line via firmware.

The reps response was that these are high end home theatre projectors not designed for gaming and that if that was what I wanted I should have bought a different projector... interesting response considering the heavy 4k120 marketing and that only ever being beneficial to gamers.

Are you serious? Isn't that a bit rude?

The achilles heel of the NZ-line is no EARC and no VRR: two integral HDMI 2.1 features.

Fine not to offer them, but well within reason for a customer to ask if there is any scope for them to be added at a later date if possible.

As you said, if this is just a HT projector when they start showing off 4K, 120hz and people gaming on them all the time?

Are you serious? Isn't that a bit rude?

The achilles heel of the NZ-line is no EARC and no VRR: two integral HDMI 2.1 features.

Fine not to offer them, but well within reason for a customer to ask if there is any scope for them to be added at a later date if possible.

As you said, if this is just a HT projector when they start showing off 4K, 120hz and people gaming on them all the time?
Definitely, it came across quite rude and dismissive the way it was phrased, especially since I'd disclosed I'd already paid for an NZ7. I didn't expect much anyways, but I thought it was reasonable to ask after dropping almost 14k cdn. At best I thought I might get something like a "it's being looked at internally to see if it can be added", like some will disclose.

The fact is that 4k120 only has relevance to gaming, so if they're marketing that feature, they're marketing the gaming aspect. Unless I'm missing some other 4k120 source material out there, but I don't believe there is any.

Maybe I had it coming for even bothering lol.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Definitely, it came across quite rude and dismissive the way it was phrased, especially since I'd disclosed I'd already paid for an NZ7. I didn't expect much anyways, but I thought it was reasonable to ask after dropping almost 14k cdn. At best I thought I might get something like a "it's being looked at internally to see if it can be added", like some will disclose.

The fact is that 4k120 only has relevance to gaming, so if they're marketing that feature, they're marketing the gaming aspect. Unless I'm missing some other 4k120 source material out there, but I don't believe there is any.

Maybe I had it coming for even bothering lol.

Its because they probably know the 4K/120 has little relevance without VRR but can't correct it via hardware so therefore anyone that brings it up, they've been instructed to crack down on it hard to not draw attention to it.

Obviously it does does the former.

Did any review outlet actually ask JVC why they opted to not include VRR or EARC? And if they expect people to play videogames 4K/120hz vsync (whats the point in low latency mode with vsync) or if they expect their high end users who play games at 4K/120 with tearing all over the screen?

Its a simple design flaw. Just like Epson with the 11gbps HDMI ports and just like JVC throughout their entire X series where every 18-24 months they'd really a small update to the projector via a new model number to add a feature which should have been there (or the product should have been delated a couple of months to get it here).

I thought there would be a false promise too that they'd look into it. TBH, I kind of expected them to include it at a later date because its pretty vital. Otherwise the 120hz IMO is useless. I've tried doing 120 without vsync and the tearing is horrible when it occurs and the drops feel disgusting.

VRR or the lack of doesn't affect home theatre guys who only watch films but 120hz also doesn't improve their situation either. Its a feature that really does stick out as like ... uh.. ??

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Its because they probably know the 4K/120 has little relevance without VRR but can't correct it via hardware so therefore anyone that brings it up, they've been instructed to crack down on it hard to not draw attention to it.

Obviously it does does the former.

Did any review outlet actually ask JVC why they opted to not include VRR or EARC? And if they expect people to play videogames 4K/120hz vsync (whats the point in low latency mode with vsync) or if they expect their high end users who play games at 4K/120 with tearing all over the screen?

Its a simple design flaw. Just like Epson with the 11gbps HDMI ports and just like JVC throughout their entire X series where every 18-24 months they'd really a small update to the projector via a new model number to add a feature which should have been there (or the product should have been delated a couple of months to get it here).

I thought there would be a false promise too that they'd look into it. TBH, I kind of expected them to include it at a later date because its pretty vital. Otherwise the 120hz IMO is useless. I've tried doing 120 without vsync and the tearing is horrible when it occurs and the drops feel disgusting.

VRR or the lack of doesn't affect home theatre guys who only watch films but 120hz also doesn't improve their situation either. Its a feature that really does stick out as like ... uh.. ??
I poked around reviews and forums last night and couldn't find much of anything other than folks like us asking why it's not included and if it could be added. Guess we'll see.

I agree that it's a peculiar omission and a bit of a requirement with 120, but the new Epson seems to be doing the same, so maybe it's some sort of projector specific issue or they have some form of a workaround?

Sony had promised it for PS5 and still hasn't updated it after over a year, so it must be a challenging feature.

Is the 4K 120 input capable of 8K 60? If it is, that makes some sense outside of gaming for the future.
Yes it does and good point that I'd realized but didn't speak to. I still think they have marketed 4k120 quite a bit on these and that in particular is only relevant to gaming.

That is a typical JVC behavior sadly, they could have gotten around that in a much more welcoming and polite manner.

Just enjoy what you got, is the JVC motto.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp