News: JVC unveils new NZ9, NZ8 and NZ7 laser projectors

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
OK ranty mode engaged!!!

sorry JVC and their distributors but £11,500 is a price point where it makes zero sense to me as an upgrade path from being an N5 owner for over 2.5 years

i just do not see the value proposition at all at those prices - i wont use hdmi 2.1 features and laser alone and a few more lumens in what sounds like it might not be a huge picture upgrade over my N5 is not enough.

really would have the same view were I an N7 owner - how good does NZ8 need to be to be worth double the price of an N7?

i know in relative terms these will be in demand but its a piece on consumer electronics with limited resale value after all. it aint a Rolex watch fellas. it looks to me like they are setting a "pandemic" price.

i think someone from JVC needs to explain the price point compared to EU pricing if they actually care about their customer base as on the face of it looks like a rip off.

i might also want some "guarantee" that the dila panels as well as the light source are good for 20,000 hours

we can wait for the reviews but omg they will have to be amazing to get my debit card out

and that ignores the annoyance at the prices relative to europe - if i had pre ordered i would have cancelled on a point of principle

fast forward one year

jakimp proud owner of JVC NZ7.

I agree with everything you're saying TBH. I think the big draw might be that JVC are now sparingly updating their projectors so buying now should see a customer set with a cutting edge projector for 3+ years or so.

I'm completely in agreement with you, except the 'few lumens'. I think the lumen jump is the biggest and most impressive feature of these new JVCs and a clear generational leap in light output which is very interesting to everyone; even people with dedicated blacked out rooms because the HDR tone mapping can extract the potential of every lumen.

For those that can afford one, I think it'll be amazing but the price point is already very high, and then the typical UK price-gouge is just insane.

We saw this last year though. Italy has an INSANE JVC sale that we in the UK never got. Some people upgraded their projectors from it. If people felt so passionately, we should have thrown arms up in the air then; when all the EU countries were getting cut price JVCs and we were still paying full RRP or close enough.

alebonau

OK ranty mode engaged!!!

sorry JVC and their distributors but £11,500 is a price point where it makes zero sense to me as an upgrade path from being an N5 owner for over 2.5 years

i just do not see the value proposition at all at those prices - i wont use hdmi 2.1 features and laser alone and a few more lumens in what sounds like it might not be a huge picture upgrade over my N5 is not enough.

really would have the same view were I an N7 owner - how good does NZ8 need to be to be worth double the price of an N7?
try 3 x for the scary prices being mentioned where we are :D definitely not worth twice the amount let alone 3 times :D

the problem wiht the hdmi 2.1 features ... is its also non existent.. there are NONE of the enhanced gaming feature set of hdmi 2.1 surported

so no VRR (not even via future update, no QMS, no ALLM

there is literally not even other hdmi 2.1 features supported like earc, hdmi cable power for for matter even CEC :D

I beleive all thats supported is 4k 120/8k in format and QSC thats it ...

agree too...just what are you getting ? the lumen jump is indeed lot less than folk realise especially once calibrated (Italian review showed this) and who is going to spend so much dosh on a projector and not calibrate to get best from.

i know in relative terms these will be in demand but its a piece on consumer electronics with limited resale value after all. it aint a Rolex watch fellas. it looks to me like they are setting a "pandemic" price.

so what happens in 2 years time when they bring it out with the updated hdmi card that actually supports the hdmi 2.1 set ? watch the value of these plummet !

i might also want some "guarantee" that the dila panels as well as the light source are good for 20,000 hours
never going to get that ...panel degrading is a thing some folks think.. so matter light source might not wear out the panels do... I have come across flogged out jvc x35 and scratching my head.. only thing i can put down to...as lamp was apparently new ...

i think someone from JVC needs to explain the price point compared to EU pricing if they actually care about their customer base as on the face of it looks like a rip off.
I really dont understand this such extremes in disparity in pricing.. its only thing holding back our pricing being announced I think ... the sheer shock factor its going to have given the obscene nature with leaked prices we have seen :D

Last edited:

drillo

OK ranty mode engaged!!!

I agree and doubtless others will too. Good chance then there will be a cohort of an N5 & N7 owners who can't see the point in upgrading because the value proposition is insurmountable.

AND there might well be some owners like me with eshift models from any of the last 2 or 3 generations, who are also unconvinced because the feature proposition requires a trade off in contrast we desperately don't want to make.

Some of us (myself included) may have considered proceeding regardless cause it's fun changing and because fricken lasers man, but are dissuaded the bracket creep and the overt gouging on the lower end compared to other markets.

Since that accounts for a chunk of enthusiasts, it leaves me wondering how many projectors are sold to upgraders versus first time projector owners.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I agree and doubtless others will too. Good chance then there will be a cohort of an N5 & N7 owners who can't see the point in upgrading because the value proposition is insurmountable.

AND there might well be some owners like me with eshift models from any of the last 2 or 3 generations, who are also unconvinced because the feature proposition requires a trade off in contrast we desperately don't want to make.

Some of us (myself included) may have considered proceeding regardless cause it's fun changing and because fricken lasers man, but are dissuaded the bracket creep and the overt gouging on the lower end compared to other markets.

Since that accounts for a chunk of enthusiasts, it leaves me wondering how many projectors are sold to upgraders versus first time projector owners.
They will probably be sold out sadly lol

panman40

Distinguished Member
fast forward one year

I agree with everything you're saying TBH. I think the big draw might be that JVC are now sparingly updating their projectors so buying now should see a customer set with a cutting edge projector for 3+ years or so.

I'm completely in agreement with you, except the 'few lumens'. I think the lumen jump is the biggest and most impressive feature of these new JVCs and a clear generational leap in light output which is very interesting to everyone; even people with dedicated blacked out rooms because the HDR tone mapping can extract the potential of every lumen.

For those that can afford one, I think it'll be amazing but the price point is already very high, and then the typical UK price-gouge is just insane.

We saw this last year though. Italy has an INSANE JVC sale that we in the UK never got. Some people upgraded their projectors from it. If people felt so passionately, we should have thrown arms up in the air then; when all the EU countries were getting cut price JVCs and we were still paying full RRP or close enough.
What I'm waiting to find out is if the drop in "calibrated lumens" of an NZ7 is similar to the drop in calibrated lumens as a typical N5 is.
If it is then 400 more lumens would be very useful...sadly at these prices I simply can't afford it.

Superhans

They will probably be sold out sadly lol
They have clearly identified that demand is inelastic especially at the moment but I think that these prices will affect their branding over the medium term.

I've been holding out on upgrading from my trusty X7000 for a few years waiting for 'a solution from JVC'. Now its finally here and I just feel like I would be an absolute idiot to jump in at these prices; I would absolutely feel taken advantage of. The NZ7 at anything over £10k is just ridiculous.

So I'll save the cash and throw it into my dedicated room budget for next year. A proper soundproofed, blacked out and lightly acoustically treated room is going to get me better value. I won't be hanging on waiting for 'a solution from JVC' in the future. None of what they have done is particularly innovative; they have just muscled in a few expected features at a premium price.

alebonau

What I'm waiting to find out is if the drop in "calibrated lumens" of an NZ7 is similar to the drop in calibrated lumens as a typical N5 is.
If it is then 400 more lumens would be very useful...sadly at these prices I simply can't afford it.
we already have some indication from the italian review...

markymiles

Distinguished Member
Yep you can imagine the strategy meeting. What will happen if we charge much more for the new range. Answer umm nothing they will still be sold out. Ok lets do that then. Marketing department can you market us as high end please so we can charge over inflated prices.

alebonau

Yep you can imagine the strategy meeting. What will happen if we charge much more for the new range. Answer umm nothing they will still be sold out. Ok lets do that then. Marketing department can you market us as high end please so we can charge over inflated prices.
its more like...

whats the opposition charge for them things ?

oh so if we charge a tad less we will make a killing ?

oh yeah...

oh well...lets do that then :D

markymiles

Distinguished Member
Or, these guys are film buffs and it's got the word laser in it. They'll pay anything!!!! . All we need now is the Red laser Dark Side model..............:D

jakimp

Distinguished Member
fast forward one year

honestly i just dont see that happening

before the N5 i had never spent more than £3000 on a PJ so getting my head around the extra spend required for the N5 was not straightforward. to go again at nearly twice as much for the NZ7 just wont happen unless the pricing in the real world is a lot less.

the italian sale example is a fair point. suppose in a year you get and NZ7 for 9k euro and that should be reduced by VAT at source to say less than 8K euros inc carriage. apply exchange rate say 1.15 to pound and VAT 20% on import - i am not doing the math but you end up with an NZ7 at lss than £9k i think. warranty issues accepted as well as duration but if you can save that much over UK RRP i think many will be tempted.

alebonau

Or, these guys are film buffs and it's got the word laser in it. They'll pay anything!!!! . All we need now is the Red laser Dark Side model..............:D

never know... they painted an X series red once to sell it for twice the amount .. so anything is possible :D

1631625633915.png

panman40

Distinguished Member
we already have some indication from the italian review...

I did see that a few times, I will be looking for official reviews from the usual sources 👌

alebonau

I did see that a few times, I will be looking for official reviews from the usual sources 👌
oh definitely ! that one is a quick 2 hour, does give some insights.. but yes only brief no doubt even compared to say calibration on mine that took some ~5 hours just and we will no doubt hear from ,usual suspects... :) all in good time.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Think it's still a bit fluid, only prices I can see are below, not sure if speculative or fixed, I seem to remember previous JVC's a few years ago having pricing 'tested' and then when it came out changed a bit :-

panman40

Distinguished Member
I think they should of been called ..

NZ11
NZ16
NZ25

Stridsvognen

Think it's still a bit fluid, only prices I can see are below, not sure if speculative or fixed, I seem to remember previous JVC's a few years ago having pricing 'tested' and then when it came out changed a bit :-

Only comparison i have is the NZ8, so you pay 10% more than the list price in Denmark, and 30% more than we actually pay for it.

MickB

drillo

Only comparison i have is the NZ8, so you pay 10% more than the list price in Denmark, and 30% more than we actually pay for it.
So your NZ8 street pricing (basically £11k) is below our (unconfirmed) NZ7 list pricing!
Are we able to say what was the typical street discount % on the NX series vs list?

Stridsvognen

So your NZ8 street pricing (basically £11k) is below our (unconfirmed) NZ7 list pricing!
Are we able to say what was the typical street discount % on the NX series vs list?
The normal street price of the N7 is 5732£ and the cheapest i seen is 5500£ including an extra lamp.

The list price is 6880£ all including 25% Danish vat.

Last edited:

drillo

The normal street price of the N7 is 5732£ and the cheapest i seen is 5500£ including an extra lamp.

The list price is 6880£
Thx
Apologies I was unclear - I meant in the UK (I presume you are reporting GBP equivalent of your Krone pricing?)
Nonetheless interesting you are reporting a 17% discount is normal and cheapest you'd seen was 20% off. So you are expecting/getting about the same discount on the new range.
Interesting also that you get the 'good' pricing even though you dont have the Euro unlike us, if the above pricing is accurate.

Stridsvognen

Thx
Apologies I was unclear - I meant in the UK (I presume you are reporting GBP equivalent of your Krone pricing?)
Nonetheless interesting you are reporting a 17% discount is normal and cheapest you'd seen was 20% off. So you are expecting/getting about the same discount on the new range.
Interesting also that you get the 'good' pricing even though you dont have the Euro unlike us, if the above pricing is accurate.
The above prices are calculated from today's value of the £ from DKR.

Here is the danish list prices.

I know of 1 NZ8 sold on preorder at with a 15% discount on the list price, so ill expect it to be possible to negotiate around 20%

You should also factor in that if you buy a JVC from Denmark/ import it to UK to a company, you will buy it without the 25% danish vat, and you then have to apply 20% UK vat.

Last edited:

Russ 66

So the JVC entry laser price is £11,500, wow you either have to have some very deep pockets or really, really be into AV.
I would imagine the vast majority of these will go in custom installs, in white walled "cinemas" in London where they are never used. Just a box ticked on your house that you have a home cinema.
I'm just jealous that I can't really justify dropping that much on one :(

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp