NEWS: JVC to issue HDR update for D-ILA projectors

agreed Steve but the forum wouldn't exist if it wasn't for people obsessing over whether the third line up on the left side of the screen of the fox pattern could be a bit sharper at 12 " so maybe my lens is defective

as someone who returned to the JVC fold after having a Sony HW55ES and then an Epson 9300W I am delighted with the image thrown by the N5

I am very pleased with the serious upgrade coming on HDR and hope that JVC and other makers get out of the pointless replacement of models for little to no reason on an annual basis - we as consumers need to make this apparent to manufacturers don't we?

Just need to bring the price down now then - (we can all hope :))?!? I’m sure over the past year they’ve perfected and streamlined the manufacturing process and can pass on some of those savings to loyal customers yes?!?
and how much have Sony dropped their native 4K ranges on each annual replacement cycle? their still harping on that the latest stripped bare model is the only native PJ at £5k or so even though they have been using the same chassis for years now

is it realistic to demand more and more features whilst looking for 50% price drops? I mean sign me up for the first native 4K laser JVC with 5000 lumens and perfect DTM, WCG etc etc for £3000

I think these levels of performance from what are a very small niche product compared TV's are never going to be cheap

Ok serious question, out of all the PJs released in the past 5 years or so, how many get regular feature updates rather than new releases? Do we think this is JVC switching tactics to regularly do this, or do we think it’s a one off this year due to delays, issues or other factors? It’s a results either way, but I’m not convinced JVC or other manufacturers will be adopting this longer term, although I hope I’m wrong..

I hope you are wrong but who knows

I don't see Denon or Marantz stopping bringing out new ranges of receivers every year for what are marginal additional features

to some extent I think it cant be good for them as every year you can buy the gizmo mark 3 at 50% off as they have stocks of gizmo mark 4 to shift

I think JVC might find the annual model switch more difficult as it will be hard to say each year that our new model is more native 4K than the last one like they did with eshift models with v5 being way better than v4

but its probably a one off as they cant realistically replace a model that has only been selling for 6 months so a shiny new feature will keep the N range hot in the market for at least another 12months

and how much have Sony dropped their native 4K ranges on each annual replacement cycle? their still harping on that the latest stripped bare model is the only native PJ at £5k or so even though they have been using the same chassis for years now

is it realistic to demand more and more features whilst looking for 50% price drops? I mean sign me up for the first native 4K laser JVC with 5000 lumens and perfect DTM, WCG etc etc for £3000

I think these levels of performance from what are a very small niche product compared TV's are never going to be cheap
Agree with the sentiment, however the x7xxx series was quite a price, and it’s n7 replacement went up even further, making it very hard to justify going from an x7x00 to an n7, or maybe that’s just me?!? At the time I’m sure they justified the price of the x7x00 was right for the level of performance and they only made a gnats whisker on it, however when the n5/7 came out the x7900 miraculously dropped by 25% overnight despite nothing else changing.. I’m not asking for the world but just if they stretch a product over multiple years, there’s usually some saving realised that could be shared, but ironically there’s now mention of a price increase, I’m sure it doesn’t cost more to make now than last year... I know I’m reality it's not likely to happen and yes I did economics and fully understand supply an demand has little to do with actual cost and more to do with what they think the consumer is willing to pay, think Apple which I also love and have...

Also sorry if I sound cynical, I think it’s great news, it just ultimately the n7 I’m finding near impossible to justify right now (no matter how much I want it) may now become even more out of my minds reach..... :)

the price rise seems limited to the N7 only and is $1000 and as far as I know only in the USA

does seem an odd one

I agree the N range is a serious investment - I only went for the N5 and that meant spending twice as much as I have ever spent before

up to £8500 MSRP for an N7 is a LOT of money however you look at it

the price rise seems limited to the N7 only and is $1000 and as far as I know only in the USA

does seem an odd one
Not really, the N Series is made in Asia so I'm assuming that's a direct result of Trump's tariffs. Although since it only appears to be N7, it could be a bit of good old-fashioned supply and demand.

I think you are right about supply and demand and I suspect the new DTM feature wont slow down demand for the model most enthusiasts seem to want most

also in USA the sony middle range sells for $10k and the N7 for $8k so why sell a better PJ for 20% less? so maybe JVC are charging more for the N7 whilst still undercutting sony prices?

The JVC N7 is hands down the best 4K projector in terms of bang for buck. I know value is relative, but you get an amazing performance and state-of-the-art features with the N7 (and that's before you add DTM with the next firmware update).

Just need to bring the price down now then - (we can all hope :))?!? I’m sure over the past year they’ve perfected and streamlined the manufacturing process and can pass on some of those savings to loyal customers yes?!?
It's going the other way in the US - the N7 is getting $1000 price rise while the N5 and NX9 stay the same. Hopefully won't also happen here, Lord Flatulence is being blamed in part for getting into a spat with half the world...

Edit: wow, I'm so behind on the news these days... lol.

The JVC N7 is hands down the best 4K projector in terms of bang for buck. I know value is relative, but you get an amazing performance and state-of-the-art features with the N7 (and that's before you add DTM with the next firmware update).

tbh Steve

the N7 demand in the UK is outstripping the other 2 models put together i understand from distributors discussions, JVC themselves have stock of N5/9's but no 7's so that should tell us something

What is their on offer at its price point to compete?, nothing in my book can compare

Allan

tbh Steve

the N7 demand in the UK is outstripping the other 2 models put together i understand from distributors discussions, JVC themselves have stock of N5/9's but no 7's so that should tell us something

What is their on offer at its price point to compete?, nothing in my book can compare

Allan
When JVC launched the N Series at IFA last year, I did tell them that the N7 was going to sell like hot cakes! However if they're having trouble meeting orders I'm happy to swap my N7 for an NX9...

It’s good to see JVC utilising the ability of the N series for f/w updates, what with this speculated price increase of the N7 I will not be upgrading from my X7900 now, something I was hoping to do in the near future. Instead I shall carry on saving for the next gen native 4K series from JVC unless in the meantime passive 3D makes a return to oled TV’s then I will ditch projection.

When JVC launched the N Series at IFA last year, I did tell them that the N7 was going to sell like hot cakes! However if they're having trouble meeting orders I'm happy to swap my N7 for an NX9...

give me a ring ;)

Martin theres always the new 88" LG Oled

but you can have an N7 and an NX9 for the price of one of those

had an email from LG this am with a link to the page for the 88" - lots of glossy info but no price that I saw - and my nearest stockist is Currys - not seeing myself paying over £25k for a TV and from Currys ...

those days of the cheap 100" OLED are clearly just around the corner

also isn't the N7 rise only in USA?

Martin theres always the new 88" LG Oled

but you can have an N7 and an NX9 for the price of one of those

had an email from LG this am with a link to the page for the 88" - lots of glossy info but no price that I saw - and my nearest stockist is Currys - not seeing myself paying over £25k for a TV and from Currys ...

those days of the cheap 100" OLED are clearly just around the corner

also isn't the N7 rise only in USA?

I haven’t looked into that LG Tim, i doubt it has 3D ?. I didn’t realise the N7 rise was just for the USA.

Having just read Gordon’s comment about possible brightness pumping with frame by frame mapping it will be interesting to see yours and others comments on it once it’s rolled out. Hopefully it’s all good, funny thing is because I’m into 3D and with the amount of releases so far this year I can’t remember the last time I watched a 4k Blu ray...

seems odd to speculate before release but hey happens all the time on here

steve as you have seen the firmware in operation at IFA any comments on the comments Gordon at convergent posted? - below

"I look forward to seeing how the new firmware works in practice but i'd mention that doing frame by frame tone mapping is not ideal. There will be cases where you will see obvious pumping of image brightness. I had not realised that myself until i saw it on an LG OLED with that feature.. it took me a while to work out what was going on. It's very distracting when you see it...but of course you don't see it all the time...That is why Lumagen and MADvr analyse the frames to do scene analysis so you don't see those sort of artefacts "

as you saw different scenes from Aquaman - did you see what Gordon is describing on an LG set? I don't think I have that feature on my 65B7

I like 3D Martin and do have the Kit and the N5 is the best ghost free 3D I have ever seen

personal preference but for me much prefer the UHD disks and like Alita they seem to save atmos/ dts x for the uhd disks and I do like the 3D sound

horses for courses

That's right Tim, I refuse to buy 3D and 4k of the same movie though unless of course it's like Alita with the Combo.

I think it stinks not having 3D audio alongside the visuals though, some with the kit and knowledge are remuxing the Atmos to 3D titles but I have no idea how to do that, it seems like a chore to.

I am lazy - I just want to switch on my oppo or my apple 4K box and watch a movie in the video and sound format I like so no ripping and re-mixing for me

3D video and audio seems obvious doesn't it?

I rip all my films BD & UHD the day I get them, once done I can be even lazier then as don’t need to get up to put a different disc in, just fire up Plex and get an unmolested full rate picture and sound (Atmos/DTS:X etc)?! :)

understand the logic and I know its not that hard to do and I have seen set ups with that functionality and look super cool and convenient but I just don't think its for me

No worries appreciate that, although it’s not much different to ripping your CDs to FLAC/WAV etc...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom