NEWS: JVC to issue HDR update for D-ILA projectors

Thatsnotmynaim

Presume this confirms what has been mentioned befoe elsehere that there will be no new JVC N5, 7 or 9 replacements soon

Abacus

They have only just come out (About 6-9 months) so why would anyone expect them to be replaced.

Bill

Thatsnotmynaim

I think (and may be wrong) that in previous years, e.g. the x5000, x5500 & x5900 release cycles, JVC have tended to release updated new versions each year... It's been debated and speculated before but I don't think anyone from JVC has ever officially said it will or won't with the nX series.. I know the nX was delayed and understand why it 'probably' won't, but then again there's the argument that any development and production is initiated long before it goes live, so the go / no go of subsequent models can arguably be set in motion 9-12 months ahead..

jakimp

very happy with HDR on my N5 but can be a bit frustrating when the metadata is missing to allow auto tone mapping to work

personally very excited about this as if they can pull off hdr optimisation even on a scene by scene basis let alone frame by frame even if there is no metadata that should be a significant gain

personally never thought a new range would come out this year in any event - i'm not sure if going forward a new/tweaked model every year makes much sense -at the cost of these new models I am not sure if buyers are going to swap frequently. also the main selling point was the e shift v5 was so much better than v4 that it was worth a swap cos it was more 4K like but once you have gone native 4K will that work. I also think that showing you will support these models with real updates in performance will push some fence sitters into buying the range that is available now rather than waiting for what might come down the line

Xenofin

Standard Member
very happy with HDR on my N5 but can be a bit frustrating when the metadata is missing to allow auto tone mapping to work
This is so very true. Just lately I have noticed with my Pana 820 and N5 I have to manually change Dynamic Optimizer on/off/on to get it work with discs without metadata. I am also using JVC+Pana Basic Luminance picture mode for projectors.
I really hope this Frame Adapt HDR performs well with those discs.

stevos

I kinda feel i made a mistake in upgrading to the x9900 (2nd hand) this year, instead of waiting another year.

Adaptive HDR is for sure needed in projectors.

It's a shame there is not a 3rd party tool that could sit between the AVR and the projector and provide this capability.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
The Lumagen has already got the DTM update available (for free) and there have been a number of fine tuning tweaks based on customer feedback, so it is still being further refined. Haven't tested it out much myself as I don't tend to us my projector in the Spring/summer, but very positive feedback over on the Lumagen thread on AVS.

Perhaps an X9900 plus a 'Pro (or the Envy) might give an NX7 a run for it's money, plus I just have a feeling that Lumagen/MadVR owners will continue to get free updates and support much more than JVC. You'll be able to use the Pro/Envy with your next projector: Certainly with the Pro you can use the spare memories/HDMI splitter to feed your TV too, I even use it to convert 4K/HDR to 1080p/SDR into my TV for Netflix as this seems to give a better result than watching the 1080p stream.

Russ 66

It’s good to see JVC are actually supporting these with firmware updates rather than just rolling out new models.
I was close to getting an N5 last year but lost interest when JVC took forever to release them. I might have to have another look with these new updates.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
As the proud owner of an N7, I'm delighted that JVC isn't releasing a new range and is instead releasing a major firmware update for existing N Series owners. I had a demo of the new dynamic tone mapping feature at IFA and it makes a big difference compared to the Auto Tone Mapping because it's analysing the image rather than simply relying on the static metadata.

jakimp

thanks Steve - that is what the thread has desperately needed - an N7 owner who knows how it works at the moment and has seen the new feature in action

even more excited for the firmware now

jakimp

steve

can you update us on your time with your N7?

jakimp

someone on the US forum saw the IFA demo and is positive on the benefits

"So we saw new firmware of JVC on IFA in Berlin and there is a new profile called "Frame by frame" without possibility of settings of gamma.
They show Aquaman movie in dark and bright scenes on NX9 before and after and in my opinion there is really improvement. "

Steve Withers

Reviewer
someone on the US forum saw the IFA demo and is positive on the benefits

"So we saw new firmware of JVC on IFA in Berlin and there is a new profile called "Frame by frame" without possibility of settings of gamma.
They show Aquaman movie in dark and bright scenes on NX9 before and after and in my opinion there is really improvement. "
I saw exactly the same demo, the Frame By Frame mode is what JVC are calling the dynamic tone mapping feature.

stevos

The Lumagen has already got the DTM update available (for free) and there have been a number of fine tuning tweaks based on customer feedback, so it is still being further refined. Haven't tested it out much myself as I don't tend to us my projector in the Spring/summer, but very positive feedback over on the Lumagen thread on AVS.

Perhaps an X9900 plus a 'Pro (or the Envy) might give an NX7 a run for it's money, plus I just have a feeling that Lumagen/MadVR owners will continue to get free updates and support much more than JVC. You'll be able to use the Pro/Envy with your next projector: Certainly with the Pro you can use the spare memories/HDMI splitter to feed your TV too, I even use it to convert 4K/HDR to 1080p/SDR into my TV for Netflix as this seems to give a better result than watching the 1080p stream.
Lumagen cost in the £10k range dont they?

Thatsnotmynaim

Yes the Lumagen is quite pricey, but arguably not much more than an n7 pj upgrade and may have more/better benefits. I do find it hard to justify, however a video processor may last you 2-3 PJs and can also process for multiple devices, say PJ & TV and does MUCH more than just DTM. The MadVR may also be alternative when released that is significantly cheaper than £4-5k new. I’ve also seen Lumagen Rad Pro go for circa £2k on here after some haggling..:)

IWC Dopplel

Lumagen Pros are £4K and up depending on hdmi numbers needed. The good news is they are continually being upgraded via software

As 8k is an utter waste of time, getting amazing 4K and great 2>4K is where it’s at for me in reality, so expecting to keep the Lumagen for some time. I am interested in a jvc but will wait until the N7** is LED and as good as the Z1. Expect the 4K Lumagen will be in service for 10 years plus. I think it’s very overpriced if you take the top off and look inside......

IWC Dopplel

I think (and may be wrong) that in previous years, e.g. the x5000, x5500 & x5900 release cycles, JVC have tended to release updated new versions each year... It's been debated and speculated before but I don't think anyone from JVC has ever officially said it will or won't with the nX series.. I know the nX was delayed and understand why it 'probably' won't, but then again there's the argument that any development and production is initiated long before it goes live, so the go / no go of subsequent models can arguably be set in motion 9-12 months ahead..
Yes, it’s that nice warm feeling you get every year as the nights draw in, “ I wonder what Mainline projectors JCV will release this autumn “

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Blimey you lot are hard to please! If you're not moaning about a lack of new projectors, you're considering dropping four grand on a processor instead. Given that JVC are struggling to meet demand for the N Series, and the fact that these projectors are already superbly specified, why bother with a new line-up? Personally I'm delighted that rather than a new range that would leave me wondering whether I should upgrade, instead JVC has made my N7 even better without needing to buy an expensive processor. I think JVC will find it even harder to meet demand now.

Thatsnotmynaim

Just need to bring the price down now then - (we can all hope :))?!? I’m sure over the past year they’ve perfected and streamlined the manufacturing process and can pass on some of those savings to loyal customers yes?!?

jakimp

agreed Steve but the forum wouldn't exist if it wasn't for people obsessing over whether the third line up on the left side of the screen of the fox pattern could be a bit sharper at 12 " so maybe my lens is defective

as someone who returned to the JVC fold after having a Sony HW55ES and then an Epson 9300W I am delighted with the image thrown by the N5

I am very pleased with the serious upgrade coming on HDR and hope that JVC and other makers get out of the pointless replacement of models for little to no reason on an annual basis - we as consumers need to make this apparent to manufacturers don't we?

jakimp

Just need to bring the price down now then - (we can all hope :))?!? I’m sure over the past year they’ve perfected and streamlined the manufacturing process and can pass on some of those savings to loyal customers yes?!?
and how much have Sony dropped their native 4K ranges on each annual replacement cycle? their still harping on that the latest stripped bare model is the only native PJ at £5k or so even though they have been using the same chassis for years now

is it realistic to demand more and more features whilst looking for 50% price drops? I mean sign me up for the first native 4K laser JVC with 5000 lumens and perfect DTM, WCG etc etc for £3000

I think these levels of performance from what are a very small niche product compared TV's are never going to be cheap

Thatsnotmynaim

Ok serious question, out of all the PJs released in the past 5 years or so, how many get regular feature updates rather than new releases? Do we think this is JVC switching tactics to regularly do this, or do we think it’s a one off this year due to delays, issues or other factors? It’s a results either way, but I’m not convinced JVC or other manufacturers will be adopting this longer term, although I hope I’m wrong..

jakimp

I hope you are wrong but who knows

I don't see Denon or Marantz stopping bringing out new ranges of receivers every year for what are marginal additional features

to some extent I think it cant be good for them as every year you can buy the gizmo mark 3 at 50% off as they have stocks of gizmo mark 4 to shift

I think JVC might find the annual model switch more difficult as it will be hard to say each year that our new model is more native 4K than the last one like they did with eshift models with v5 being way better than v4

but its probably a one off as they cant realistically replace a model that has only been selling for 6 months so a shiny new feature will keep the N range hot in the market for at least another 12months

Thatsnotmynaim

and how much have Sony dropped their native 4K ranges on each annual replacement cycle? their still harping on that the latest stripped bare model is the only native PJ at £5k or so even though they have been using the same chassis for years now

is it realistic to demand more and more features whilst looking for 50% price drops? I mean sign me up for the first native 4K laser JVC with 5000 lumens and perfect DTM, WCG etc etc for £3000

I think these levels of performance from what are a very small niche product compared TV's are never going to be cheap
Agree with the sentiment, however the x7xxx series was quite a price, and it’s n7 replacement went up even further, making it very hard to justify going from an x7x00 to an n7, or maybe that’s just me?!? At the time I’m sure they justified the price of the x7x00 was right for the level of performance and they only made a gnats whisker on it, however when the n5/7 came out the x7900 miraculously dropped by 25% overnight despite nothing else changing.. I’m not asking for the world but just if they stretch a product over multiple years, there’s usually some saving realised that could be shared, but ironically there’s now mention of a price increase, I’m sure it doesn’t cost more to make now than last year... I know I’m reality it's not likely to happen and yes I did economics and fully understand supply an demand has little to do with actual cost and more to do with what they think the consumer is willing to pay, think Apple which I also love and have...

Trending threads

Latest news

Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Huawei launches Google-less Mate 30 and Mate 30 Pro phones