NEWS: JVC LX-UH1 4k DLP Projector announced

think a lot were waiting on JVC to announce a true 4k projector at less than $10k(versus the $30k on their current one), not sure this is what they were expecting

I've been really underwhelmed by the state of Lower to mid range 4K pj's out there. I know even a lot of TV manufacturers are struggling to meet the likes of 4000 nits, so the chances of a pj hitting that anytime soon seem remote at best. It's just the lack of genuine WCG support more than anything that's left me flat. "All I want" is a sub £2K pj that has a decent black floor, and can meet at least a fair amount of the P3 subset. The closest so far seems to be the Epson Tw7300, I'd be interested to see how this pj stacks up against the Epson.

Now this is interesting indeed, will be very very interested to see how the real contrast figures and black levels turn out and more importantly how it compares to the D-ILA line up.

Last edited:
True 4K or magic pictures? Lol.

Have dimensions been released?

As this looks more compact then Optomas offering so hoping will fit in my projector life.

*lift.

(Can posts be edited in mobile app? As can't see the option)

Looks like a budget projector for the classroom or office. There is an adjustable foot on the base, no motorised lens cover and dials on the top. Not the same tactile feel of the DLA-X range.

Hope we get a review soon.

I'm really not sure what to make of this news, JVC re-entering the budget market and switching to DLP, I wouldn't have predicted this in a million years. :confused:

Interesting release, the resolution that the eye sees should theoretically be better than the larger JVC models but it will not get anywhere near the WCG and black levels of them. It is also good to see (And something other DLP manufactures should address) that it has a wide horizontal and vertical lens shift.

Seems to be getting crowded in the £2 – 4K range of 4K projectors, but not one has yet got the killer features to make it stand out. (All have plus and minuses)

Bill

Hope we get a review soon.
As soon as there are retail units available, (as we don't review pre-production kit), we'll get one in. I've seen most of the 4K DLP projectors or reviewed them at this price point and level, so interested to see what JVC bring to it.

Seems to be getting crowded in the £2 – 4K range of 4K projectors, but not one has yet got the killer features to make it stand out. (All have plus and minuses)

Bill
I wouldn't be expecting anything different at this price point either, they will all have pros and cons.

This is going to mean more typing. Whereas before we could simply say if you want great black levels get a JVC, now we're going to have to say if you want great black levels get a JVC but not one of those curious DLP things they started doing back in 2018.

Let's hope I'm proved wrong.

Wow so not what I was expecting !! I wonder if there’s more to come, something Like an x series but with with a laser light source around IFA time....

It’s 4K Jim, but not as we know it.......and pretty damn sure it’s not what enthusiasts were expecting. I hope this is not a sign of poor things to come on the back of Oppo’s news.

Wow so not what I was expecting !! I wonder if there’s more to come, something Like an x series but with with a laser light source around IFA time....
That is what I am crossing fingers for! Even a native 4K lamp based one will be fine as long as contrast does not suffer.

That is what I am crossing fingers for! Even a native 4K lamp based one will be fine as long as contrast does not suffer.
Me too, I'm hoping to upgrade at the end of this year (maybe next year depending on funds) and native 4K would be great. The low lag and better HDR of the X7900 over my X7000 are already reasons for me to upgrade so any other improvements on it's successor will be a bonus. I'm also wondering what the new naming convention of any updated D-ILA range will be (X70000 won't sound right).

As asked previously is this native 4K or is there some kind of pixel shift going on?

At this price it's going to be a single chip DLP.
As I suffer those dreaded rainbows I will be sticking with JVCs X series.

As asked previously is this native 4K or is there some kind of pixel shift going on?
Pixel shift but you will see 8m pixels onscreen like the other DLP 4ks
DLP fairy is certified 4k but LCD fairy dust is more magical than certifiable

Last edited:
Pixel shift but you will see 8m pixels onscreen like the other DLP 4ks
DLP fairy is certified 4k but LCD fairy dust is more magical than certifiable

I *think* from reading the Barco white paper on XPR technology that those 8 million pixels overlap. Bearing in mind that was for the larger chip that only "flashed" twice , this used the smaller 1080p chip which has to flash 4 x to get the 8 million pixels.

I think thats stretching the boat by a big margin to call it true 4k.

On the bright side it will likely have 3D.

No it doesn’t put what’s on disc on-screen directly, and no one has ever claimed it does, (Only native 4K can do that) as XPR can only put 2 (4.15 million) or 4 (2.07 million) separate images on-screen, (The original image has to be split into 2 or 4 separate images) however due to the poor performance of human senses (The eye) the speed that the separate images are put on-screen one after the other is too fast for the eye to see, and so it combines the 2 or 4 separate images into 1 image, the trick (Which is where the 4K processing of the input comes in) is to make sure that the pixels in the separate images that are displayed on-screen, when combined by the eye do not produce any artefacts that the brain can identify so that the eye sees the same as the input. (It is a technical engineering solution to a problem, (And it could be called magic as it is the equivalent of sleight of hand) but it is only a means to an end and can be ignored by the normal user who’s priority should be to compare the different projectors to see which they prefer)

NOTE: What the projector displays on-screen (2 or 4 separate images) is not what the eye sees, (1 image) so don’t fall into the trap of combining the two, (They are completely separate operations) plus the 4K spec only requires 8.3 million pixels to be produced by the projector on-screen (It doesn’t specify how) to meet it. (Hence it is technically classed as 4K)

Anyway it will be interesting to see how it sells as it does seem more complete (Full 4K input 18Gbs and horizontal and vertical lens shift) than other 4K DLPs on the market.

Bill

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom