NEWS: JBL Synthesis SDP-55 processor and SDR-35 AVR now available separately

I could be persuaded if they were half that price but that’s way too much for me

I’m just keeping my ear to the ground and staying low, It just depends on what comes along. I have little to no interest in Arcam or Anthem right now.

Anyways, I would have loved to try one of the JBL’s :D

Last edited:
I’m just keeping my ear to the ground and staying low, It just depends on what comes along. I have little to no interest in Arcam or Anthem right now.

Anyways, I would have loved to try one of the JBL’s :D
I am curious as to why anyone would discount the Arcam yet still be interested in the JBL outside of Dante, which has very limited interest I would have thought outside of the JBL ecosystem as there are other Dante solutions better suited to that market, and what is likely to be a marginal uplift in sound quality for the price difference due to the DACs.

I havn't read anything about the JBL's, literally nothing. So I have no idea if they would suffer any of the issues that Arcam have and now seemingly Anthem as well. With that in mind, I couldn't put money into something and sit back waiting for a potential problem to occur.

Last edited:
I havn't read anything about the JBL's, literally nothing. So I have no idea if they would suffer any of the issues that Arcam have and now seemingly Anthem as well. With that in mind, I couldn't put money into something and sit back waiting for a problem to potentially occur.
The JBL is essentially an Arcam with the Dante board and slightly different DACs. They suffer all the same problems as the Arcam plus possibly a few more related to Dante. If you open up an Arcam you can see where the Dante board was supposed to go. They aren't just developed from the same platform they are to all intents and purposes the same product. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to look at the Arcam yet being willing to consider the JBL outside of a few niche cases involving Dante and in the same vein being part of the JBL ecosystem which has a Dante component. Hence my surprise and question!

I'm not consdering the JBL as they're too expensive for me, I'd would have just liked to try one.

I just wondered what the differences were...i thought arcams had been pretty stable on new firmware...i guessed wrong..the only thing that seems to work are the marantz and monoprice? If mono was available here thats probably what way id go at this time..

I’d like to hear the JBL back to back with the Arcam to see if I could hear the difference in the DACs. The Audiocontrol X9 which is also the same as the Arcam but with even better DACs is a “bargain” at around £11k in the U.K (can be bought via custom installers)

I’d like to hear the JBL back to back with the Arcam to see if I could hear the difference in the DACs. The Audiocontrol X9 which is also the same as the Arcam but with even better DACs is a “bargain” at around £11k in the U.K (can be bought via custom installers)
There is a significant difference apparently.

Is thos the way forward though? We have jbl, arcam, audiocontrol &lexicon? All the same unit....surely thats not good? Denon and marantz, similar...so were left with anthem, mono,yamaha, then uber high expensive lyngdorf,storm trinnov focal?

The Monoprice appears to be the best value at the moment, much like most of their stuff I think. I’ve said it many times before, if they could get a few things sorted then their amps and processors could be a big contender over here.

Id like to try a trinnov
Probably because you see owners drooling, and so they should be at the price and no doubt the performance.

In a ‘normal’ domestic environment though, that’s a huge wedge of money to spend in such a setting. Could I do it . . . yes. Would I . . . no.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom