NEWS: IMAX to screen Netflix and Amazon originals?

I rarely go to the cinema nowadays, the lack of respect from fellow cinema goers is annoying, such as mobile phone use, constant rustling of sweet wrappers, constant talking, breathing:)D) all detract from the experience.:mad:
Talking to friends and the consensus is that inconsiderate people and the cost, are the main factors they don't go either.

The only time it is pleasurable is when I take my daughter, when there's a training day at schhool, and have the place to ourselves. Even then I feel like I've been mugged on the way out when I look in my wallet :)

So, no matter what they do, I am happy to bide my time and wait for the film to come out on BluRay or Sky/Netflix/Amazon and watching on my projector. I can watch in peace and quiet, have a nice glass of wine and (quiet) food (I can get quite a decent bottle and some good cheese for the cost of a coke and popcorn at the cinema) and don't have to miss anything if I need the toilet :rotfl:.

I also wouldn't waste a good night out with my wife, on the few occasions we get a sitter, by sitting in silence for 2 hours. I'd rather go somewhere for a meal and a chat. (although I think some people have the meal and chat during the film, which brings me back to my original point:)).

Yes the expense and experience of Cinema are crap, as rightly explained by Idle Bull above.
Save the parking and travel costs and use them to purchase a big TV / Projector and stream or BD, DVD disc. Watch when you want and no jabbering, pranking and crap from Cinema viewers. That is before the eye watering food or drinks bill.

The absurd anti social behaviour in most cinemas is a massive turn off - that said are cinemas not increasingly starting films these days with a PSA asking people to turn off phones / be more considerate etc?

I saw Black Klansman in a Vue last week, which was perhaps only my second time in a multiplex in the last 10+ years, and was pleasantly surprised by the PSA and generally good behaviour.

I'm fortunate to have a few Everyman cinemas around me in London, which for a smidge more cost, generally has better behaved clientele and are much more pleasant as an experience, armchairs and sofas etc. For the 7-10 times i go each year, the extra cost is marginal for some peace and quiet.

As for Netflix and iMax, its not a bad idea given some of the high budget fare they are producing. Why not give people the option of seeing in the cinema?

Personally I find that audiences do quieten down when the film starts, it's been a long time since anyone was really irritating and on that occasion a member of staff dealt with them. You don't have to buy food there, and there are ways to get tickets cheaper, such as Odeon's "limitless" for £17.99

That said, I don't disagree that cinema tickets are way to high these days. For a family of four paying full whack to see the latest blockbuster you're looking at over 50 quid, which is ridiculous. I understand kitting out cinemas with the latest image and audio gear isn't cheap, but a cinema trip should be an affordable way to spend a couple of hours, not something you need to plan a budget for!

I'd hate to see cinema's start to close though, but I don't think there is a danger of that; so long as there are big films to see, people seem happy to pay to watch them on the big screen. But who knows, maybe we are heading toward a world where films will be available (at a premium) to watch at home at the same time they get their theatrical releases.

The biggest reason that I don't go as much is price and the fact that they only show half of the films in 3D. If I'm going to go to the cinema then I wan't something that I can't get at home and thats super large sound and super big screen with 3D.

I'll only watch films rated 15 at least usually. The epidemic of uncontrolled little brats has transgressed into the cinema aisles.

It would be interesting if they could use Netflix/Amazon as a way to fill up the empty screens? Maybe to get punters in, if you have a Netflix 4k sub, that you only pay a booking fee, and they make their money on people buying popcorn?

I'd rather Netflix/Amazon released titles onto disc. Having a crappy internet connection means a lot of my streaming is done at 480/720p. I know, I know...

I don't see average Joe forking out for Netflix/Amazon every month then pay extra to see something in the cinema.

I'd rather Netflix/Amazon released titles onto disc. Having a crappy internet connection means a lot of my streaming is done at 480/720p. I know, I know...

I don't see average Joe forking out for Netflix/Amazon every month then pay extra to see something in the cinema.

Yes I know your pain, I am lucky to get 720 at times. I do find that a VPN can aid sometimes if I get buffering.

Some Netflix titles are released but not for a while after they first go live.

I rarely go to the cinema nowadays, the lack of respect from fellow cinema goers is annoying, such as mobile phone use, constant rustling of sweet wrappers, constant talking, breathing:)D) all detract from the experience.:mad:
Talking to friends and the consensus is that inconsiderate people and the cost, are the main factors they don't go either.

The only time it is pleasurable is when I take my daughter, when there's a training day at schhool, and have the place to ourselves. Even then I feel like I've been mugged on the way out when I look in my wallet :)

So, no matter what they do, I am happy to bide my time and wait for the film to come out on BluRay or Sky/Netflix/Amazon and watching on my projector. I can watch in peace and quiet, have a nice glass of wine and (quiet) food (I can get quite a decent bottle and some good cheese for the cost of a coke and popcorn at the cinema) and don't have to miss anything if I need the toilet :rotfl:.

I also wouldn't waste a good night out with my wife, on the few occasions we get a sitter, by sitting in silence for 2 hours. I'd rather go somewhere for a meal and a chat. (although I think some people have the meal and chat during the film, which brings me back to my original point:)).
I've said this before but I think this applies to non IMAX cinema. There is no way you are going to pay IMAX prices then fiddle about with your phone.

... I understand kitting out cinemas with the latest image and audio gear isn't cheap, but a cinema trip should be an affordable way to spend a couple of hours, not something you need to plan a budget for!
The problem I found was that with the exception of the IMAX, my local cinema sound quality was dreadful. It was just loud and sounded much worse than my basic HT home setup. Why would I pay for that? To be fair I've complained at least on a couple of occasions and they did improve the last couple of times I went.

But also I only tend to go to watch event films that are worth seeing on a big screen. And if it's worth seeing on a big screen, its definitely worth seeing on the biggest screen you can find. Unless of course you have a 4k laser cinema which then gives you similar picture quality to the best HDR 4k discs.

...and you're happy to wait several months to see it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom