NEWS: IFA 2018: What to Expect

Thanks Mark,

Looking forward to seeing how the micro led sets work out. I will be looking to replace my TV in the next 4-5 years and think this will be the technology of the future.

Not sure about 8K, as was mentioned in the pod cast, this part of the world is only just embracing 4K, let alone 8!

Also Thank you Mark,

Having just upgraded my complete System at the beginning of the year, I certainly won't be updating anything any time soon, but it's always fascinating to see what is ahead!

This time next year you will probably be treated as living in the distant past (And a museum piece) if you are still using 4K :D

Looks like JVC may be introducing either a cheaper Native 4K Laser Projector or the current projector with a lamp from the teaser video.

The biggest question of all though, is will we get a Dolby Atmos equipped fridge? As with this hot weather we are having, a cool Atmos system would be great.

Bill

This time next year you will probably be treated as living in the distant past (And a museum piece) if you are still using 4K :D

I AM from the past! So that suits me just fine! 4K for ever! :D

The biggest question of all though, is will we get a Dolby Atmos equipped fridge? As with this hot weather we are having, a cool Atmos system would be great.

We just watch "The Day After Tomorrow" on endless loop - works great! :thumbsup:

Apart from early Sony's announcement of two new TV models, I don't expect any major TV manufacture unveiling new models, saving for CES Jan, 2019.

8K sets are a gimmick to steal publicity from rival sets. Not even movies are made in 8K let alone TV content, all you will be watching is upscaled HD and 4K content to 8K.

Last edited:
Hoping 8k suddenly takes off. Imagine an 8K display on your fridge to go with Atmos.

Edit. Actually, what K is a glass fronted fridge? Wont be able to boast about the hi res electronics though.

Last edited:
If i can financially afford it i am hoping to get an 8K tv next year as my samsung HU8500 desperately needs an upgrade.
Thank you Mark for that interesting article.

Really looking forward to that new D-ILA JVC!

I definitely am not panting for 8K resolution. What I am keen to see is a 4K 85" or 88" FALD LCD television, or an 4K 88" OLED.

I really hope that the Samsung 8K range that's being shown at IFA is the one with Mini LED backlight and 4000 nits. That will be a huge leap if true over conventional FALD. The 8K is just the added bonus on top. Not because of the resolution but because of the extra processing power needed which should have other benefits.

I currently have no TV after I sent my Q9FN back so I'm hoping something stands out at IFA because nothing else on the market at the moment is blowing me away.

I'll be there to check things out in person for sure, especially the new JVC box.

HD, 4K, 8K,..... i would like to see TV's no longer having the capability to show SD picture quality ! ! That way at least all these broadcasts will have no choice but to upgrade their content, just like the TV manufacturers are trying to do for us.
Development needs to be a joint project and not just left to the TV manufacturers all the time

Looking forward to an up close and personal report on Sonys 65" AF9 guys.
Hopefully a price will be announced also. ;)

I'm interested in how the new Sony Master series TVs pan out but the hands on reports aren't too promising at the moment. Current opinion suggests that they aren't much better than the ZD9/A1. But if you think about it, the reason that the ZD9 has been their top of the range LED TV for so long is simply because it is that good. So whatever they come out with should be significantly better than that to go against the Q9. Especially if Samsung decides that their aggressive local dimming and artificially boosted HDR issues are problems they want to fix and not just marketing opportunities for the less clued up buyer.

8K isn't even on my radar tbh. I know we are talking about the future here but we barely have native 4K sources never mind 8K and I'm guessing that upscaling 2K to 8K might look like upscaling DVD to 4K. Decent but not great. Also right now the majority of streaming users don't have enough for 4K so I'm not sure how 8K figures into all this.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to think about when it comes to 8K isn't just the increase in resolution being a waste. It will benefit large sizes the most of course but as mentioned it will have other benefits too such as much better processing power to push 8K in the first place which would have benefits in other area. Less antialiasing. I'm personally excited about the Samsung TV's because I'm hoping this top range there releasing this year is Mini LED which will be a huge change when it comes to backlit LED TV's.

I really hope that the Samsung 8K range that's being shown at IFA is the one with Mini LED backlight and 4000 nits. That will be a huge leap if true over conventional FALD. The 8K is just the added bonus on top. Not because of the resolution but because of the extra processing power needed which should have other benefits.

I currently have no TV after I sent my Q9FN back so I'm hoping something stands out at IFA because nothing else on the market at the moment is blowing me away.
Why didn't you go OLED? I personally don't own or even want an OLED but I'm curious.

HD, 4K, 8K,..... i would like to see TV's no longer having the capability to show SD picture quality ! ! That way at least all these broadcasts will have no choice but to upgrade their content, just like the TV manufacturers are trying to do for us.
Development needs to be a joint project and not just left to the TV manufacturers all the time

Problem is most shows (Particularly for TV) up to the 90s were only shot in SD, (4:3) (Where some of the best shows ever were made) thus upscaling will need to be done somewhere. (Same for a lot of DVDs)

Bill

Why didn't you go OLED? I personally don't own or even want an OLED but I'm curious.

I had an Oled before the Q9FN. Being a huge gamer the higher brightness, no burn in and VRR was much more appealing to me. Plus I wanted a 75 inch size and the C8 was too much. Sometimes you just want a change.

I had an Oled before the Q9FN. Being a huge gamer the higher brightness, no burn in and VRR was much more appealing to me. Plus I wanted a 75 inch size and the C8 was too much. Sometimes you just want a change.
If you are a gamer then the Q9 makes a lot of sense. Not sure there is a better gaming TV out there.

Looking forward to Sony announcing a successor to the 2 year old NW-WM1A/Z, even if I can't really afford one :)

It'd be ironic if Sony show another 8K set powered by the Ultimate X1 processor, considering the Master series 4K's only now coming.

An old friend of mine once said "Content is king". Considering the not exactly Landslide of 4K content (UHD being pretty thin on the ground) and zero native 8K content, I just can't imagine much happening on the domestic 8K front.

Tokyo Olympics being the big push (IIRC) for filming in Native 8k.

Too much, too soon?

One of the things Samsung made a big deal about was there AI processor upscaling. It was there main thing to show off at CES and won an innovation award. Considering it will be a long time before we get much 8K content and we may never ever get 8K blu ray you would hope they have put a lot of effort into upscaling.

One of the things Samsung made a big deal about was there AI processor upscaling. It was there main thing to show off at CES and won an innovation award. Considering it will be a long time before we get much 8K content and we may never ever get 8K blu ray you would hope they have put a lot of effort into upscaling.
If they could magic that to a meaningful difference for HD and motion in general it'd be a substantial boon. I never thought I'd say this, but Samsung have peaked my interest toward LCD with mini LED backlit technology, their AI processing and the possibility of a more affordable line to come.
Sony may have dropped the ball with their Master Series after what feels like a hype train that self-imploded rather than delivered after a huge expectation let down. And if this is the case, as there's no OLED innovation to shout about, Samsung may find a new voice for their LCDs which would be the shot in the higher end arm they dearly need.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom