NEWS: IFA 2018: What to Expect

I do hope the sets are going to be Mini LED. We know the 85 inch Q9S will be Mini LED but that could just be a one off set and completely separate from the 8K ranges being announced at IFA. My biggest concern would be that these upcoming sets are just the Q9FN with 8K and no Mini LED/higher brightness.

Will LG be bringing out an 8K oled next year, i do hope so.

An old friend of mine once said "Content is king". Considering the not exactly Landslide of 4K content (UHD being pretty thin on the ground) and zero native 8K content, I just can't imagine much happening on the domestic 8K front.

Tokyo Olympics being the big push (IIRC) for filming in Native 8k.

Too much, too soon?

One of the things Samsung made a big deal about was there AI processor upscaling. It was there main thing to show off at CES and won an innovation award. Considering it will be a long time before we get much 8K content and we may never ever get 8K blu ray you would hope they have put a lot of effort into upscaling.

So in reality the main use of 8K for a while will be the upscaling abilities of these TV's, if I read right.
Out of interest, at what size of screen would you truly see a difference between 4K & 8K pq at what are considered "optimal" viewing distances, given an 8K source, or an excellently upscaled 4K source?

(I ask because I imagine 8K truly comes into its own with bigger screens, but correct me if that's wrong :))

(I ask because I imagine 8K truly comes into its own with bigger screens, but correct me if that's wrong :))
From the reviewer sites I've read, there isn't a huge perceivable difference between the two - nothing like HD to 4K - and you'd need to be sat fairly close to appreciate it - if at all depending on quality of source material and your eyesight!
If they did I'd hope they'd also take the opportunity to cut the panel into quarters and give us some smaller OLED sets. Not everyone wants a 55" TV just so they can have OLED tech.
You've next to no chance. As above, 8K isn't considered a huge jump in picture quality but more of a size headache for broadcasters or Blu-ray (if at all the latter) and smaller sets would be pointless for general viewing (i.e. not gamer) as sitting distance could deny viewer benefit. Add to this that LG have consistently stated they're not making smaller panels and are pushing for 55" in the new China plant with stats on how many overall 55" panels will be possible annually. And their new plant in Korea is supposedly gearing up to eventually make bigger and not smaller panels.

You've next to no chance. As above, 8K isn't considered a huge jump in picture quality but more of a size headache for broadcasters or Blu-ray (if at all the latter) and smaller sets would be pointless for general viewing (i.e. not gamer) as sitting distance could deny viewer benefit. Add to this that LG have consistently stated they're not making smaller panels and are pushing for 55" in the new China plant with stats on how many overall 55" panels will be possible annually. And their new plant in Korea is supposedly gearing up to eventually make bigger and not smaller panels.
Hrm. Got some sources?

LG charts OLED TV roadmap - 8K in 2019
"Sang-Deog Yeo, President of LG Display, also revealed that smaller OLED ‘tiles’ of around forty inches were also incoming but would not be drawn on a potential release schedule."

I believe the problem LG have at the moment is they can't get the 4K pixels required small enough to make the smaller sets - it is the same reason there aren't 8K OLEDs yet; you have to make them small enough to get into people's houses without removing walls.

There is no point making 40" panels with 1080 pixels because no-one cares any more (despite the fact it would be a cracking set for most TV viewing distances). But if they solve 8K at, say 80-85 inches, this means the same tech has the right size of pixels to give you 4K at 40-43 inches.

I would personally argue that 8K will be mostly pointless for anything less than 75 inches in size. Even then your going to be pushing it. Most of the benefits though as iv said before and what iv read will come from other features. Less aliasing in the picture for a start. The processing power needed to even run 8K should have other benefits such as motion and upscaling. You then have some saying well 8K is pointless without HDMI 2.1 anyway..but then you have to think how many years away will it be before we even need that. We might never get 8K blu rays. I personally don't think we will so what will you need it for anytime soon. eArc and VRR can both be used in sets now. I'v also heard that 8K Oled is behind 8K LCD so it might be a while yet before we see 8K commercial Oled sets available to purchase. 8K LCD is coming next month though.

Hrm. Got some sources?

LG charts OLED TV roadmap - 8K in 2019
"Sang-Deog Yeo, President of LG Display, also revealed that smaller OLED ‘tiles’ of around forty inches were also incoming but would not be drawn on a potential release schedule."

I believe the problem LG have at the moment is they can't get the 4K pixels required small enough to make the smaller sets - it is the same reason there aren't 8K OLEDs yet; you have to make them small enough to get into people's houses without removing walls.

There is no point making 40" panels with 1080 pixels because no-one cares any more (despite the fact it would be a cracking set for most TV viewing distances). But if they solve 8K at, say 80-85 inches, this means the same tech has the right size of pixels to give you 4K at 40-43 inches.
Look at flatpahelshd etc. and the news is for 55"+ as LG's main interest and seller numbers. The latest China plant lists 55" as it's main priority in number production with 65" if they so choose. That article on here states no exact date given. 4K and 8K will be impracticable on such sizes unless your sat very close i.e. gaming. LG have shown more interest in larger and not smaller sizes and even the larger sizes have seen LG drag their feet but are more likely to appear sooner to maintain their position at top end sales.

Look at flatpahelshd etc. and the news is for 55"+ as LG's main interest and seller numbers. The latest China plant lists 55" as it's main priority in number production with 65" if they so choose. That article on here states no exact date given. 4K and 8K will be impracticable on such sizes unless your sat very close i.e. gaming. LG have shown more interest in larger and not smaller sizes and even the larger sizes have seen LG drag their feet but are more likely to appear sooner to maintain their position at top end sales.
Are you arguing just that they're not going to happen for IFA, or as it seems that it's not going to happen full stop?

If the latter I disagree with your analysis. They've demo'd 8K 88" and the head of LG display has publicly said they're doing smaller. There are other manufacturers of OLED panels coming online in the near future. Every man + dog in the display world is looking towards 8K, whether it makes any sense at viewing distances or not. LG would be able to sell many, many multiples more 4K 44" sets than 88" 8K sets from their 10.5G tech when it happens; but because talking about smaller 4K 44" sets won't set the world on fire the headlines will all be about monster 8K sets. Looking at well reported trends heading out to 2020 - the average TV size is still going to be something like 46" and I can't see LG ignoring more than half the market for TVs with their tech once they have the ability to make 4K smaller panels.

Everything you're talking about as far as I can see relates to current manufacturing plants for their current 8.5G tech - of course in discussing those plants they're not going to be talking about bigger, higher res or smaller panels as 8.5G OLED tech doesn't actually get there! :)

Do you have specific links which you think back up LG >not< doing 8K or smaller panels in the future? As I've read in more than one place that they are doing 8K and that they do have plans for smaller panels.

I'm not saying these large 8K or small 4K sets will be announced or shown at IFA though.

Are you arguing just that they're not going to happen for IFA, or as it seems that it's not going to happen full stop?

If the latter I disagree with your analysis. They've demo'd 8K 88" and the head of LG display has publicly said they're doing smaller. There are other manufacturers of OLED panels coming online in the near future. Every man + dog in the display world is looking towards 8K, whether it makes any sense at viewing distances or not. LG would be able to sell many, many multiples more 4K 44" sets than 88" 8K sets from their 10.5G tech when it happens; but because talking about smaller 4K 44" sets won't set the world on fire the headlines will all be about monster 8K sets. Looking at well reported trends heading out to 2020 - the average TV size is still going to be something like 46" and I can't see LG ignoring more than half the market for TVs with their tech once they have the ability to make 4K smaller panels.

Everything you're talking about as far as I can see relates to current manufacturing plants for their current 8.5G tech - of course in discussing those plants they're not going to be talking about bigger, higher res or smaller panels as 8.5G OLED tech doesn't actually get there! :)

Do you have specific links which you think back up LG >not< doing 8K or smaller panels in the future? As I've read in more than one place that they are doing 8K and that they do have plans for smaller panels.

I'm not saying these large 8K or small 4K sets will be announced or shown at IFA though.
I never said not doing 8K as it's an obvious path that other manufacturers are heading to - Samsung QLED at IFA for example - but rather that smaller sizes aren't coming this year or next from reading around the web. And the China plant is the latest that could obviously do smaller but it isn't. As I said, the report I read stated 55" numbers but with the possibility of 65" numbers. The 10.5g plant was ear marked for possibly >65" sizes and not smaller than 55". LG are so fickle with actually doing what they announce as sometime in the future. 40"+ odd inches may be the norm due to increased sizes having been bought as an average and LG repeatedly state 55" is their main size sold and that is where they issue main target numbers. I can recall LG saying possibly and future whenever asked about smaller sizes years back.
Personally I don't care as I'm not looking for a set below 65"+, so all I'm saying is what I've read around online over the last few years.
Oh and they actually cut that 80" odd inch prototype at the 8.5g plant. It was/is possible but too costly with the sheet sizes they use now and failure rates.

55" is their main size because they can't currently make anything smaller...! :) I'd imagine it is a sore point that they can't offer it yet and I'm sure as soon as they can make a smaller 4K they will. Anyway, I'm going to stay optimistic on this as I'd like a 44" OLED :)

55" is their main size because they can't currently make anything smaller...! :) I'd imagine it is a sore point that they can't offer it yet and I'm sure as soon as they can make a smaller 4K they will. Anyway, I'm going to stay optimistic on this as I'd like a 44" OLED :)
Too many failures and impracticable for 4K to benefit from are stumbling blocks. If they brought a HD variant it wouldn't surprise me. When ink jet printing arrives I'd imagine they'll go wild with sizing and you'll definitely get your desired screen.:clap:

eARC will definatly be there as the new Sony sets have already been confirmed to have it. HDMI 2.1 I would guess no. We may not even see HDMI 2.1 next year.

You'd have to imagine eARC will be on most sets next year, as they fiddle with existing HDMI to use the ethernet bandwidth also to attain it and not need 2.1.

Only 11 days to go! I hope eARC is going to be on most sets going forward. It will be annoying if they pick and choose features like VRR and eARC instead of just having both on most sets.

While its great that there working on Micro LED its hard to get remotely excited about it at all when its clear consumer sized versions are most likely a long way away yet.

Speaking of largest, is the OLED limit at 55 for the smallest version a manufacturing vs cost thing? Dropping into the sub 55 going to do anything? I know a few people that are limited to sub 55 for realistic reasons but like OLED. Be good if lower sizes are announced.

Speaking of largest, is the OLED limit at 55 for the smallest version a manufacturing vs cost thing? Dropping into the sub 55 going to do anything? I know a few people that are limited to sub 55 for realistic reasons but like OLED. Be good if lower sizes are announced.

This is a question that has been asked by AVForums to the manufacturers at past CES events. The general consensus seems to be that the demand for OLED is driven by consumers at a size of 55" and higher.

I’m hoping someone will unveil an affordable (sub £1k!) native 4K projector that can manage Rec2020 to get the most out of my Ultra HD discs, don’t think it will be this year though unfortunately.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom