NEWS: HUMAX unveils FVP-5000T Freeview Play Recorder

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Oooh, that looks tempting. I like the idea of the extra tuner support. That said, it doesn't sound like that this is provided by an extra LNB connection. Being able to connect to a Humax Smart Hub is another plus point for me too. My only worry is the early adopter pain that Humax puts its customers through when they release new kit. Still, a positive endorsement for Freesat.

@Mark: will you be reviewing the new box when it surfaces?

Clem

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Oooh, that looks tempting. I like the idea of the extra tuner support. That said, it doesn't sound like that this is provided by an extra LNB connection. Being able to connect to a Humax Smart Hub is another plus point for me too. My only worry is the early adopter pain that Humax puts its customers through when they release new kit. Still, a positive endorsement for Freesat.

@Mark: will you be reviewing the new box when it surfaces?

Clem
The box is a Freeview Play device (uses a terrestrial aerial) and is a replacement for the FVP-4000T boxes. It's not a satellite box. Freesat have announced a 3rd generation Freesat box is planned for 2018. No other details but no prizes for guessing who might be making it.

Freesat plans third generation set-top-box - a516digital

Reviews

Humax announces upgraded Freeview Play Box FVP-5000T

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Dammit, I totally mis-read that article. That said, it would still work for me as it has the third tuner. I have no idea what gave me the notion that it was a Freesat box, getting old I guess. I'll read the article again .....

Clem

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Surely the FVP4000T was the first Freeview Play recorder to utilise 3 tuners ?
Correct. The new box looks to be very similar hardware wise but with a upgraded user interface.

tman

Three HD tuners sounds interesting. Could finally be a viable replacement for my ageing Windows 7 Media Centre which seems to have more problems than not lately. It's a heavyweight solution just to act as a DVR.

VisionMan

Has there been any confirmation that the original Humax Freeview Play box, the 4000T, which is in circulation now and only 2 years old will continue to receive updates?

Cocacola

Novice Member
Is the new 5000 box worth the extra cost compared to the 4000?
Looking to replace my Virgin TiVo box.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG SN7CY Soundbar Review, Hisense 55U7Q, LG Nano90, Best of the Month, B+W Sigourney Weaver
Top Bottom