NEWS: Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder

How is this box these days? If I read the Humax forum it suggests there's still a lot of problems but if you're not trying to do anything to clever i.e. just use it as a PVR and watch recordings on another device is it pretty stable overall? Anyone had the Manhattan t3-r and have an opinion on which is best? The T3-R seems quite basic to me really and I'm wondering if I'd have been better getting the aura especially as a replacement for sky q multiroom. On the subject of the latter can someone watch a recording on e.g. a phone or tablet using the app while someone else watches live TV or a recording on the box itself on a TV?
I previously had the T3-R which I was really impressed with but recently purchased the Aura for the extra tuners. I’m really impressed with the Aura’s picture quality which I didn’t think would beat the Manhattan but it’s a step above. The Google assistant is a brilliant extra which understands me every time and even tells decent jokes! The app selection is very good and having the ability to download more is very welcome. I’ve only just downloaded the Aura app but although it’s basic it does the job. I haven’t tried viewing on two different units but I believe it can be done. I don’t think you will be disappointed if you purchase the Aura as I find it very reliable. By the way I do just use it as a pvr and am not really interested in trying anything fancy.

Just noticed there was software update yesterday. Cannot find any details of what was changed/improved.

Does the Aura app allow remote control of the aura via WiFi like the fvp5000 does, ie change channel, banner on tv or guide with record option etc ?

Just noticed there was software update yesterday. Cannot find any details of what was changed/improved.
Public release 12th April.
Does the Aura app allow remote control of the aura via WiFi like the fvp5000 does, ie change channel, banner on tv or guide with record option etc

Supplied remote has bluetooth capability with voice control .

Recordings and Live TV can be viewed wirelessly on tablet or phone or PC from built in media server,

Aura phone app for android or ios phone or tablet. Live TV and recordings can be viewed and down loaded for off line viewing at reduced 960 x 540 resolution for HD content.

PC can download content as above using the box Web Interface.

Personal video content can be upload to the box 4K Media player (Upnp /DLNA)

Video content can be played back from a usb storage device plugged into the two rear usb slots (one usb 3.0 and one usb 2,0). Using VLC media player app.

Last edited:
Public release 12th April.

Supplied remote has bluetooth capability with voice control .

Recordings and Live TV can be viewed wirelessly on tablet or phone or PC from built in media server,

Aura phone app for android or ios phone or tablet. Live TV and recordings can be viewed and down loaded for off line viewing at reduced 960 x 540 resolution for HD content.

PC can download content as above using the box Web Interface.

Personal video content can be upload to the box 4K Media player (Upnp /DLNA)

Video content can be played back from a usb storage device plugged into the two rear usb slots (one usb 3.0 and one usb 2,0). Using VLC media player app.
So no wifi tv control from phone app then live 5000T

So no wifi tv control from phone app then live 5000T

Bluetooth is wireless. Not tried it but you likely can change channels for instance. There is a functioning webIF. I would have to check what if any you can do with it. Why do you want Wireless WIFi over IR ? There is likely a simple other solution.

Incidentally the Aura is a Ferrari response wise compared to a FVP-5000T.

Bluetooth is wireless. Not tried it but you likely can change channels for instance. There is a functioning webIF. I would have to check what if any you can do with it. Why do you want Wireless WIFi over IR ? There is likely a simple other solution.

Incidentally the Aura is a Ferrari response wise compared to a FVP-5000T.

I believe he just wants to control box with his phone, change channels, set recordings etc.

I believe he just wants to control box with his phone, change channels, set recordings etc.

The Aura app can set recordings and view them. You can also view any of the available channels remotely. There is no need to change the current live channel to do this. You would normally only want to do this if you were in the same room as the box anyway.

That’s correct but it’s a bit more than that. My set top box is in the living room but we watch tv mainly in the conservatory so have the 5000 transmit to both TVs. The 5000 can be controlled via phone or tablet to do everything I want but in particular as you say change channels and set recordings

The Aura app can set recordings and view them. You can also view any of the available channels remotely. There is no need to change the current live channel to do this. You would normally only want to do this if you were in the same room as the box anyway.
And that’s the crux, I’m not in the same room as the box.

And that’s the crux, I’m not in the same room as the box.

Well clearly if you aren't why do you want to change the current Live channel. ?

You can watch any of the channels on a lot of different items. The live channel only matters to anyone viewing the box HDMI out on the local connected TV. If you have the output split to two TV's there are simple ways to let the supplied remote control the box to change channel on a remote TV.

Well clearly if you aren't why do you want to change the current Live channel. ?

You can watch any of the channels on a lot of different items. The live channel only matters to anyone viewing the box HDMI out on the local connected TV. If you have the output split to two TV's there are simple ways to let the supplied remote control the box to change channel on a remote TV.
The Aura in the Living Room goes to a HDMI splitter and feeds 1 TV in the living room and another one in the Conservatory, when watching in the conservatory they want to be able to control the box.

IMO Humux made a big mistake buy not allowing, android boxes / firesticks to use the app so that you could properly use the device in other rooms

I will ask if a mobile phone can be used as a remote control to allow control. No need to set recordings as the existing Aura apps allow this.
The Aura in the Living Room goes to a HDMI splitter and feeds 1 TV in the living room and another one in the Conservatory, when watching in the conservatory they want to be able to control the box.

IMO Humux made a big mistake buy not allowing, android boxes / firesticks to use the app so that you could properly use the device in other rooms

Amazon product ASIN B01A6WBMC6

@Barney Gumble As I'm not technical, would you mind explaining what auto matching frame rate is and what the issue was? As I've just bought a Shield it would be good to know. Sorry to take this thread off topic, but it might be relevant to the Aura as well.

Stops the jerky motion in panning and moving credits. The Aura does not frame rate match but it does have manual settings for 24Hz content

You have to register a suitable device with MyHumax,net to use the Aura app,

Can't be 100% sure. But there is a beta software public testing thread on my Humax and the latest Beta testing software has a dlna server. so a dlna client on the android box I guess should work.

It would have to be passed as a official release to get it on aura automatically.

I can view Aura Live tV and recordings using the dlna client on my Panasonic 4K bluray player

You have to register a suitable device with MyHumax,net to use the Aura app,

Can't be 100% sure. But there is a beta software public testing thread on my Humax and the latest Beta testing software has a dlna server. so a dlna client on the android box I guess should work.

It would have to be passed as a official release to get it on aura automatically.

I can view Aura Live tV and recordings using the dlna client on my Panasonic 4K bluray player
Hi Graham,

Just interested in what you said here as I'm looking to get a Humax Aura but wanted to make sure I could access it from a networked TV in another room without any extra software / apps.

At the moment I have a Panasonic DMR-HWT250 which appears to have died, it was on my home network and I could access it from my Panasonic TX-50CX700B just by going into Home and then Devices and it showed up automatically in the list and from there I could easily watch recorded programmes. Is that the same way that you access it from your Panasonic 4k bluray player? I don't really want to have to install any apps to achieve this, mainly because I don't think the Panasonic TV will support it.

Thanks

Hi Graham,

Just interested in what you said here as I'm looking to get a Humax Aura but wanted to make sure I could access it from a networked TV in another room without any extra software / apps.

At the moment I have a Panasonic DMR-HWT250 which appears to have died, it was on my home network and I could access it from my Panasonic TX-50CX700B just by going into Home and then Devices and it showed up automatically in the list and from there I could easily watch recorded programmes. Is that the same way that you access it from your Panasonic 4k bluray player? I don't really want to have to install any apps to achieve this, mainly because I don't think the Panasonic TV will support it.

Thanks

The software with the DLNA player was released publically on the 12th April.

No need to use the aura app at all.

Do you have a laptop with windows on it and HDMI out. If so VLC on a PC can access live TV and recordings and hdmi out will allow viewing on remote TV. VLC on a PC can even record the stream.

Also I can access using a Samsung tablet using bubbleupnp and VLC. I watch breakfast TV every morning this way.

A cheap android box with hdmi out should be able to run the above two apps.

Can you run a single flat cat 7 from the Aura location to the Remote TV ?

The software with the DLNA player was released publically on the 12th April.

No need to use the aura app at all.

Do you have a laptop with windows on it and HDMI out. If so VLC on a PC can access live TV and recordings and hdmi out will allow viewing on remote TV. VLC on a PC can even record the stream.

Also I can access using a Samsung tablet using bubbleupnp and VLC. I watch breakfast TV every morning this way.

A cheap android box with hdmi out should be able to run the above two apps.

Can you run a single flat cat 7 from the Aura location to the Remote TV ?
Does the software mean that the Humax Aura runs as a DNLA server then, if it does I should just be able to connect directly over my network from the Panasonic TV with out anything extra? How do you access it from your Panasonic 4k bluray player?

Cat 7 would be very difficult, I'm just trying to keep it simple and to be able to turn on the TV and access the recorded TV across the network.

Cheers

Does the software mean that the Humax Aura runs as a DNLA server then, if it does I should just be able to connect directly over my network from the Panasonic TV with out anything extra? How do you access it from your Panasonic 4k bluray player?

Cat 7 would be very difficult, I'm just trying to keep it simple and to be able to turn on the TV and access the recorded TV across the network.

Cheers

Cheers

Using the blueray player it just appears as option. I wall post a screen grab from a PC as it's much easier.

Examples

Attachments

• Live Channels.jpg
    Live Channels.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 82
  • VLC on PC .jpg
    VLC on PC .jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 90
Using the blueray player it just appears as option. I wall post a screen grab from a PC as it's much easier.
That looks promising then, hopefully my Panasonic TV will just see it on the network, I'll have to get one ordered. Thanks for your help Graham

Not an owner of an Aura yet, but does anyone know whether there's any development going on for an approved Netflix app? I know I can sideload it but wasn't sure if that was going to be a permanent working solution.
Seems all the other apps I need are supported, just Netflix is missing.

I don't know if it's expected but I think you can still cast to it from any mobile device as the Aura has Chromecast

Hi,

On the Humax Forum you can test beta firmware and check release notes of new firmwares. You can also ask any questions and get response from a mod who has links to the software developers.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom