NEWS: Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder

Listed in the specs of this, it states it has a HDMI 2.1 chipset on board. If Aura also has the Now TV app, Sky Q is gone.

I mean I hate Q with a passion and can't find a one box replacement that doesn't have it's own (persistent) issues.

On the face of it this looks like a great one box solution. But it doesn't mention Dolby Vision or HDR10+, just HDR. :(
I'll be interested in any reviews.

Yes, having an alternative source for NowTV, assuming that it supports the Boost pack, would be welcome. No mention of Netflix anywhere, and the remote now has a dedicated Amazon Video button. It will be a bit of a blow for Manhattan though. With a November release it’s obviously aiming for the Xmas market.

On the face of it this looks like a great one box solution. But it doesn't mention Dolby Vision or HDR10+, just HDR. :(
I'll be interested in any reviews.

I'm already on it mate, I've posed the question re DV to Humax and will update once they've answered.

HDR10+ is a dead duck as less and less studios support it.

This device looks fantastic.

Ironically, over the weekend I ordered a Shield TV Pro from Amazon which is due for delivery today. Does the Aura do more or less everything the Shield can do, with the addition of recording? I'm wondering whether I should return the Shield and pre-order the Aura? I realise that the Aura doesn't have the gaming aspect but I don't care about that.

Edit: The Shield does Dolby Vision and the Humax Aura doesn't, which is a point in the Shield's favour. It also has good AI upscaling, by all accounts. I'll probably end up with both devices!

Last edited:
This device looks fantastic.

Ironically, over the weekend I ordered a Shield TV Pro from Amazon which is due for delivery today. Does this do more or less everything the Shield can do, with the addition of recording? I'm wondering whether I should return the Shield and pre-order the Aura?

I realise that the Aura doesn't have the gaming aspect but I don't care about that.

I had and returned the Shield due to its inability to auto match frame rate.

The PQ was fantastic otherwise. It is a pain to keep double checking the output matches the format of the content.

Edit; actually, I never thought to ask Humax this question, re auto resolution.

Can anyone with an existing Humax PVR confirm if it is possible to enable auto resolution within the settings?

Last edited:
This is exactly what I have been looking for over a year! An all in one solution with integrated tuner and android tv.

I will be getting rid of Sky in December and this will replace their Q box.
Freeview HD (Triple Tuner) + Prime Video + Netflix + Youtube + Plex one a single box with Chromecast and 4K HDR is a win win! Not to mention the shed loads of other apps you can install on android tv.

Dolby Vision would be a bonus but not a deal breaker.

Any news of a Freesat version?

Humax don't make any freesat boxes any more. Clearly moving to Android Tv and the FVP platform

looks like a good bit of kit does it support Netflix would be odd if it didn't but no mention of it in the article and no Netflix button on the remote

looks like a good bit of kit does it support Netflix would be odd if it didn't but no mention of it in the article and no Netflix button on the remote

According to here

It has a built in chromecast.

So if you have netflix on a mobile device you can cast this stream direct to the new box. to get it on your TV, or any other chromecast enabled app.

eg Now Tv, Netflix. Amazon Prime etc.

Guessing you can also add it from the Google Playstore.

remote has Google Voice assist like a mobile phone so guess you can use this to find other apps.

Last edited:
this looks the nuts,might finally replace my 1000s

My Sky Q is up in February and this is a welcome change in the right direction. I can dump my Fire stick and go with one box for TV, PVR and Google TV.
Human make great and reliable boxes, Ive had 4 of them and passed onto the family. I still have a Fox HD Freeview box and a 5000( I can't remember the model numbers)
Carl

I had and returned the Shield due to its inability to auto match frame rate.

The PQ was fantastic otherwise. It is a pain to keep double checking the output matches the format of the content.
You can add auto frame rate matching to the Nvidia Shield by downloading the ‘Refresh Rate‘ app in Google Play.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I assume as this is android based you can add Netflix, now tv etc, my question is can you record them on this box or is recording for free view only.

You can add auto frame rate matching to the Nvidia Shield by downloading the ‘Refresh Rate‘ app in Google Play.

You're kidding?! D'oh!

This I did not know.

I tried the Shield, as well as ATV, and was far happier with the Shield overall with the exception of the lack of a auto matching frame rate feature.

Oh well, if this new Aura from Humax isn't all I want it to be, I know I can fall back on the Shield.

I wonder if streaming services pay kickbacks to TV and STB makers to get their buttons on the remote? Never saw an iPlayer button, yet that was the biggest UK platform for most of the streaming era.

You're kidding?! D'oh!

This I did not know.

I tried the Shield, as well as ATV, and was far happier with the Shield overall with the exception of the lack of a auto matching frame rate feature.

Oh well, if this new Aura from Humax isn't all I want it to be, I know I can fall back on the Shield.
From what I've read it's not automatic though. You need to do it every time. May have difficulties with Netflix and auto play?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I assume as this is android based you can add Netflix, now tv etc, my question is can you record them on this box or is recording for free view only.

The recording will be for Freeview only.

You're kidding?! D'oh!

This I did not know.

I 2nd this. Been using refresh tool for a while now.

@Barney Gumble As I'm not technical, would you mind explaining what auto matching frame rate is and what the issue was? As I've just bought a Shield it would be good to know. Sorry to take this thread off topic, but it might be relevant to the Aura as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom