NEWS: Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder

Stevie G

I'm pleased to report that the recent firmware upgrade fixed the problem with getting the Humax remote to be able to do the volume for my Sonos Playbar instead of the TV. I set up the remote to do my Samsung TV so it can power the telly on and off, but I have audio and volume control disabled on the TV as all the sound is passed through to the Playbar, but previously I could not get the Playbar to 'see' the Aura remote to be able to link it up. There is now an option under the Android TV settings; go to Freeview Play Preferences > Volume Control and you can do it in that option once you have updated the remote firmware and done the TV Pairing. Much better than having to use a seperate remote for the TV and volume!

I notice that there is also now an option to enable ftp access. Has anyone got it working? I've enabled it and it's giving me the FTP address (ftp://aura:<PinCode>@192.168.0.12:2323/), but I can't work out to access it from that format. I've tried typing it directly into Chrome and that doesn't work, and when I put in the path, user and pincode in to FileZilla that also cannot connect. Anyone able to assist please? I don't recall setting a pin code so an assuming it's the 0000 default it's asking me for to watch some channels (I seem to have done something to BBC1HD to make it need a pin!)

htpc_rookie

All recordings on the Aura are encrypted so I would say that access to the recordings will only be possible using the Humax Aura app. I can certainly watch recordings on my iPad using the app. I understand that this will only work over your local network, not if you are in Starbucks or wherever.
Humax are in a position to dictate which devices are acceptable to the app, so no Nvidia Shield Pro as another poster indicated. Whether Humax intend to release it to Android tvs or popular smart TVs is an interesting question.

Stevie G

I want to get the FTP access so I can use it for setting up Kodi, I'm not bothered about getting access to the recordings of the aura, I have a hdhonerun for those

Stevie G

Thanks. I'm trying the same settings so not sure why mine isn't working, I'll ask on there for help.

Does anyone know, is there any update on if/when NowTV will be on the Aura?

julians

Thanks. I'm trying the same settings so not sure why mine isn't working, I'll ask on there for help.

I'm guessing that the licensing agreement of freeview play prohibits now Tv, or the now tv licensing agreement prohibits it from being on a freeview play box, so I'm assuming it'll never happen.

JimboH

Have a look at this, download link in description and confirmed as working on Humax.

Stevie G

Grahamlthompson on My Humax shows Filezilla settings and can upload from PC to Aura and play files using VLC.
Thanks again. I did a power down and reboot and it worked after that. It's limited the access you get, mostly media, and recordings are encrypted but it's better than nothing, just need to find a file manager app for the Aura so I can FTP up to a temp folder and hopefully move my Kodi stuff over to the right location.

Stevie G

It looks like that does work. I installed it on my aura and it runs like the normal NowTV app, but I've not tested it as I'm reluctant to log in with my now TV account as I'll have to lose another device to do it, may sign up for a free trial on a new account to try it.
Interestingly, when it first runs it offers a free trial care of Sony, so I presume it must be from the Bravias

htpc_rookie

The Aura app has received an update which was first released on Android with the iOS version following a couple of days later.
The purpose of the update was stated to be a fix to sort the blank TV guide and it seems to have done the job.
Hopefully, a firmware upgrade for the box itself is in the works. The Schedule menu is a bit flaky. The programme count for series isn’t always accurate and I managed to get the programmes out of date order. Restarting the box put that right. I also think that the auto refresh option still needs some work. You can force 1080 output from the tuner to a 4k tv but playback of files from Kodi still get upscaled by the Aura box.

Last edited:

htpc_rookie

I am getting a message on the Aura app asking me to re-register the box (get a code displayed on the box/tv and enter it on my iPad. Not every time. There appears to be a communication glitch between the app and the Humax account.
Anyone else getting this?

Stevie G

Does anyone know if there is a way to set the Aura to go straight to the Android TV home page when you turn it on? Instead of auto-tuning to the last TV channel watched every time?

Also, I'm pretty sure the screen needs calibrating slightly as some apps look like they're slightly overscanned (Plex cerainly looks slightly zoomed in). Kodi lets you do it in that app but not many others do. Is there a setting to do it anywhere in Android TV?

One useful feature I've stumbled across that I've always wondered why I couldn't get to work on my Shield TV or Sony Bravia Android TV is to set the screensaver to show photos from my Google Photos. For some reason the Shield TV and Sony Bravia only lets you select Google's photos, but on the Aura you can get it to display from your photos, you need to do it via the Google Home app on a mobile device (no idea why you can't just do it on the Android box!) - Change the screen saver on your TV - Android - Android TV Help

Daveiggy

I originally set it up in the spare room where I have a 100mb switch from the 2000’s (that definitely works with everything that’s attached to it) and it wouldn’t connect, I had to use WiFi to set up. I moved it into my living room that has a gigabit switch that’s 4 years old and it connects fine on LAN.

Lee Moles

Now it’s been out some time, can anyone comment how quick it is in the menus and navigation compared to SKY Q?

sparkybun

I have only had 'old' sky! what i can say is that Android TV is the best 'Smart TV' interface in my opinion. However, as STB's go i don't think you can ever beat SKY's interface but Android does come a very close second..... The Ability though to download whatever you want onto the AURA being Android is a big big plus and better than Sky...

ShaunIOW

I'm looking at a freesat, but have seen this and it looks like a good alternative, am I right in assuming that I can install things like Britbox, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc on this, as well as things like the VLC media player and other apps and stream from a NAS drive and Plex server?

Seph23

Hi guys, just thought id chime in here and ask how everyone is getting on with their Aura?
Currently a SkyQ customer however now starting to watch less and less Sky channels, ive been looking for a set top box that has a slick interface and the Aura seems to fit the bill.

Has anyone else jumped from SkyQ to Aura and have any comments?

Topmetom 2

Hi guys, just thought id chime in here and ask how everyone is getting on with their Aura?
Currently a SkyQ customer however now starting to watch less and less Sky channels, ive been looking for a set top box that has a slick interface and the Aura seems to fit the bill.

Has anyone else jumped from SkyQ to Aura and have any comments?
Im in the same boat so thank you for asking!

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I'm looking at a freesat, but have seen this and it looks like a good alternative, am I right in assuming that I can install things like Britbox, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc on this, as well as things like the VLC media player and other apps and stream from a NAS drive and Plex server?

Amazon Prime installed By Default. VLC yes - allows playback from a usb storage device attached to one of the two rear usb ports. Plex yes (and also Kodi). Disney + yes,. Britbox not in playstore for Aura, may be possible to sideload.

Some reports that Netflix can be sideloaded but needs an air mouse to operate it.

JonMace

Not if you don't get a good terrestrial signal, and if you do not sure why you are looking at freesat?

ShaunIOW

Not if you don't get a good terrestrial signal, and if you do not sure why you are looking at freesat?
I was looking at Fressat for Forces TV and BBC 4 HD as I don't get them on Freeview, but it may be worth forgoing those for other advantages like having a one box solution for TV and streaming (both online and from my own NAS).

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
when you say sideloaded do you mean via Downloader or via FTP?

Once you have the APK file on a PC

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco update adds Roon 1.8 readiness
  • By Andy Bassett