NEWS: Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder

tredman

Distinguished Member
No I use Plex on a 4K firestick and a plex server on my laptop which auto framerate matches anyway. It would be good to get the Aura fixed. Humax are aware. Interested to see what they come up with. I did try Kodi on thev aura with the VBox TV gateway driver to watch my Vbox TV gateway IP server box and that worked.
Ah, sorry - think i misunderstood, I thought it was about matching resolution on output from the box (e.g. 576i etc), which kodi on the shield does in addition to the more normal framerate match.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Ah, sorry - think i misunderstood, I thought it was about matching resolution on output from the box (e.g. 576i etc), which kodi on the shield does in addition to the more normal framerate match.

It's both. Matching source to same resolution doesn't work at 50 or 60Hz. Auto refresh rate doesn't work for lower than 50Hz content around 24 fps. Exact 24fps content is output at t60Hz nor even 48Hz or multiple. eg 96Hz each frame shown twice.

tredman

Distinguished Member
It's both. Matching source to same resolution doesn't work at 50 or 60Hz. Auto refresh rate doesn't work for lower than 50Hz content around 24 fps. Exact 24fps content is output at t60Hz nor even 48Hz or multiple. eg 96Hz each frame shown twice.
Urgh. I was really excited about what this box could be, seems like it is way too far away.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Urgh. I was really excited about what this box could be, seems like it is way too far away.

What did you expect it to do. Other than the minor issues it's a very good pvr.

You can manually set what you want the box to output. For 50Hz Live TV it's fine and iplayer 4K HLG Like The Perfect planet looks fantastic on a good 4K TV.

tredman

Distinguished Member
What did you expect it to do. Other than the minor issues it's a very good pvr.

You can manually set what you want the box to output. For 50Hz Live TV it's fine and iplayer 4K HLG Like The Perfect planet looks fantastic on a good 4K TV.
If I wanted a PVR I would buy a manhattan, the whole point of this box is it is one box to do it all.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
If I wanted a PVR I would buy a manhattan, the whole point of this box is it is one box to do it all.

The manhattan can't do what the aura can. Can it record 4 or even 5 channels at the same time. ?

Can it use 4K content in HDR HLG from iplayer ? . Can it be used to stream media stored on your network. Does it have an app that you can watch recordings and live TV on phones and tablets.

Does it have voice control ? Does it have Disney Plus and And Amazon prime on board ?. Does it have an onboard chromecast you can cast content from other devices like video playing in a chromecast tab on a PC ? The list is endless.

Richardxx

Standard Member
The manhattan can't do what the aura can. Can it record 4 or even 5 channels at the same time. ?

Can it use 4K content in HDR HLG from iplayer ? . Can it be used to stream media stored on your network. Does it have an app that you can watch recordings and live TV on phones and tablets.

Does it have voice control ? Does it have Disney Plus and And Amazon prime on board ?. Does it have an onboard chromecast you can cast content from other devices like video playing in a chromecast tab on a PC ? The list is endless.
I thought it could.

tredman

Distinguished Member

That’s the thing though, it doesn’t seem to do either well - as a PVR it seems to be buggy (and expensive) and as a streamer it doesn’t even have Netflix!

That’s the thing though, it doesn’t seem to do either well - as a PVR it seems to be buggy (and expensive) and as a streamer it doesn’t even have Netflix!
As a PVR, the aura is excellent, and certainly not buggy, and as a streamer, who wants Netflix anyway?

tredman

Distinguished Member
I don’t mean to be harsh, but there’s a real sweet spot available for someone to get this right. You need the hardware of the Aura, with all the streaming apps (like it or not, Netflix is king there) then client PVR apps which work on other android tv boxes. You have then got a proper genuine full Sky Q replacement system without subscription.

Lee Moles

Have they said whether this is likely to get an upgrade from Android TV to Google TV?

pduerden

Standard Member
Hi I've been reading this thread with interest as I need a replacement PVR. Is it possible to watch the recordings on the device on another TV connected to my home network. Using either the app and casting capability if that exists or by directly accessing the recordings on the box using DLNA?

Gerry557

As a PVR, the aura is excellent, and certainly not buggy, and as a streamer, who wants Netflix anyway?

I think its quite flawed not having the top rate Netflix. Yes you can get other devices but then this has less meaning and all the 4k chatter and marketing is diminished

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Have they said whether this is likely to get an upgrade from Android TV to Google TV?

Aren't they same thing. It's Google Android TV.

Android TV. It requires Google apps like Google Live TV.

Richardxx

Standard Member
As a PVR with basic Catch Up I would rate the Manhatten T3-R over the Aura, been around longer, cheaper and from my brief experience with the Aura the T3 has a cleaner interface. Only 2 tuners on the Manhatten might be a drawback though.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
No, the underlying OS is the same (and most, but not all apps), but the UI is different.

What advantages does one offer over the other ?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

Fix to get 1080p for Live TV.

Set HDMI out to Auto.

Open Dynamic Refresh Refresh Rate Switching.

Set to Custom.

Enable LIVE TV 1080p

Gerry557

I think there is an issue with plex, I can cast to it from a nas but can't get the same film to play from the plex app on the Aura.

Might have to investigate more

sparkybun

Hi,

Just looking at the Aura and looks like i have come to this party a bit late seeing as you are on PAGE 20 already! Simple question - i am after a single Box solution, Android AND Freeview or Freesat.......does the Aura come well recommended?? Looking for ease of use more than anything for others in the Household...

Thanks in advance

Mel

julians

Just looking at the Aura and looks like i have come to this party a bit late seeing as you are on PAGE 20 already! Simple question - i am after a single Box solution, Android AND Freeview or Freesat.......does the Aura come well recommended?? Looking for ease of use more than anything for others in the Household...

Thanks in advance

Mel

Yes, I'd recommend it, I think its really good, the UI is good and easy to use , its fast and reliable, my wife uses it no problem.

It doesnt have netflix or nowtv, but I can use different devices for these If I needed them.

It has a few minor bugs still - but nothing major IMO.

sparkybun

thanks very much - iasked Humax about the Netflix and they said NetFlix have basically blocked it from being used on that DEvice.....a bit strange i must say as you can download Netflix onto anything!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco update adds Roon 1.8 readiness
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published