NEWS: Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder

When the hell are we getting a software update surely Humax should be working on this day and night, as the product was sold as able to use with the App which is not available sounds like a job for Trading Standards now since owning a box since Nov.

When the hell are we getting a software update surely Humax should be working on this day and night, as the product was sold as able to use with the App which is not available sounds like a job for Trading Standards now since owning a box since Nov.
Cannot help with the software update but someone over at Digital Spy has mentioned that the app is available now on Android.

I’ve downloaded the app to my Android phone. I can see the TV guide, recordings and recording schedule on my phone.
There is also a download option on the menu. I have worked out that you go the recordings list and press a title-less button you are asked if you want to convert it to mobile format. It went away to do something (another press of the button and it asked me whether I wanted to cancel the conversion) but I don’t think anything actually happened that I could see. I think that it timed out.
Maybe there needs to be a firmware upgrade on the box itself for this to work.
Does it actually convert the file held on the box or create a duplicate mobile version? Does one mobile version fit all? If it is a conversion rather than a duplication are there quality implications if you want to watch the file on the box?

Can you watch live TV on the app on a android box in another room?

That’ll be a hard no for official Android TV support. Massive missed opportunity

Attachments

• D0C730DA-59C7-47D2-AD9A-D32DB3B6AF07.jpeg
    D0C730DA-59C7-47D2-AD9A-D32DB3B6AF07.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 79
Is the app compatible with Google TV devices?

it depends on a humax server,. You can view live tv on android phones and tablets. Ios app not yet released.

I can't get my Aura to generate a registration code for me, so can't get into the app. I keep getting a message saying connection has failed and to check my network connection. But when I test streaming apps immediately on the Aura, they work fine so internet not a problem. One thing after another with this box...
IMG_20210120_211904.jpg

Ive had the same message and everything seemed ok. I fiddled about and got a code, cant remember exactly what I did.

The app doesnt seem to do much, basically a small screen epg! So worst of both worlds no controls and small screen

I havent tried setting a recording from outside the home yet, maybe they are hoping we are all stuck at home in lock down so it doent matter if that bit works right now.

Anybody else expecting a bit more from the app?

Ive had the same message and everything seemed ok. I fiddled about and got a code, cant remember exactly what I did.

The app doesnt seem to do much, basically a small screen epg! So worst of both worlds no controls and small screen

I havent tried setting a recording from outside the home yet, maybe they are hoping we are all stuck at home in lock down so it doent matter if that bit works right now.

Anybody else expecting a bit more from the app?
I can link to my Aura box and see and use everything in the app apart from the TV guide.

Last edited:
Humax should be totally ashamed releasing the Aura before it was fit for purpose. Take a look at their much smaller competitor Manhattan whose customer service is second to none. The T3-R is rock solid and any small niggles have been put right very quickly. I tried the Aura for a couple of days and thankfully Richer Sounds accepted it back.

There's a firmware update for the aura available now, just downloading it....

786mb

Release notes say it adds FTP server capability, amongst other things

Also adds auto refresh rate switching, and says it fixes some of the bugs I've noticed,like the live TV app crashing,

Also enables the remote to control TV volume directly.

Looks good!

Last edited:
There's a firmware update for the aura available now, just downloading it....

786mb

Release notes say it adds FTP server capability, amongst other things

Also adds auto refresh rate switching, and says it fixes some of the bugs I've noticed,like the live TV app crashing,

Also enables the remote to control TV volume directly.

Looks good!
Thanks for the heads up. I have also added the update. Hopefully it will improve certain aspects of the Aura.

After you've downloaded the firmware and rebooted, you then need to update various built in apps, which it should prompt you to do, then you update the remote control firmware.

Sounds complicated, but was straightforward

The app seems ok to me as well.

As long as your phone is on the same network as the aura you can watch live tv on your phone, and watch any recorded shows. Looks like no ability to cast to a different screen though.

You can also download recorded shows to teh phone to watch offline , look at the EPG and schedule any recordings.

I havent used it heavily yet, but it looks ok.

I guess for the remote to update it needs to be in Bluetooth mode? Mine wasn't - not sure how to check sw version of remote

Is the app available to install on e.g a fire TV stick so you can watch recordings on another tv with a fire TV stick attached?

Is the app available to install on e.g a fire TV stick so you can watch recordings on another tv with a fire TV stick attached?
I dont have a fire tv stick,so couldnt try it.

I do have an oldish minix android box, and it wouldnt let me install the aura app, it doesnt show up in the play store, and if you try and sideload it from an apk file it wouldnt let me install it.

What settings are people using under Dynamic Refresh rate switching? They don’t really explain what low, medium and high do?

I just want it to automatically switch based on whatever I’m watching in apps and Tv.

Those low, medium and high setting names are really misleading, they seem to just relate to a different mixture of preset settings for the greyed out bit (that become ungreyed if you select custom).

Set it to high to have it switch resolution and refresh rate automatically depending on the source video that the app in question is outputting

Last edited:
Those low, medium and high setting names are really misleading, they seem to just relate to a different mixture of preset settings for the greyed out bit (that become ungreyed if you select custom).

Set it to high to have it switch resolution and refresh rate automatically depending on the source video that the app in question is outputting
i have tried the high setting. I wanted to force the tv output to 1080 and that happened but I had less success when using Kodi to play files from my NAS. Even though the file was 1080 the tv indicated that it was receiving 2160. The Kodi app has auto refresh settings too and I think that I have set those correctly. Are the the Aura and Kodi settings conflicting?
I should add that on my Nvidia Shield I have managed to set it up to give me the desired 1080 output.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom