NEWS: Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder

I'm interested in one of these to replace a Humax T2000 Youview box -had that ~3 or 4 years and expect it to fail before long. Having read the Aura manual online I was worried that the 'skip forward' appears to be just 15 seconds. Does that mean ~16 presses to jump an advert break?

In terms of general user interface has anyone else moved from Youview to this - how is it? IMO Youview is ok, but the T2000 is pretty slow at most things.

In terms of network play does it pick up NAS drives and play HDR + Atmos content or is that a 'might happen with the right app' sort of feature?
I have set my aura to skip forward 3 mins as you can choose up to 3 mins.

I have set my aura to skip forward 3 mins as you can choose up to 3 mins.
3 mins isn't an option on mine, I have 6 options forward, and backwards, and have mine set on 2 mins forward, and 15 secs backwards.

For reference, the settings are

7, 15, 30, 60, 120, 240 seconds.

Anyone else trying to use a USB keyboard and mouse with the Aura ? Works OK for a while, then stops being recognised. Restarting the Aura gets it going again. It's useful for setting up any App that wants credentials or network paths entered.

Anyone else trying to use a USB keyboard and mouse with the Aura ? Works OK for a while, then stops being recognised. Restarting the Aura gets it going again. It's useful for setting up any App that wants credentials or network paths entered.

Yeah I use a Logitech k400, works fine.

Also AndroidTV remote on iOS is handy for typing on some stuff

The Humax skip function is just great, I've owned several of their recording set top boxes over the last 16 years and I love that you can skip the ads on them. :thumbsup: I expect the next time I need to replace one this will be the one I get. :)

I've now set mine up, and generally seems ok. I wasn't very impressed with the remote. Button presses feel a bit clunky. But I'm using my Harmony Remote anyway, so no deal breaker.

Does anyone know if you can delete channels? I've found an option to lock them or set up favourites; but ideally want to completely get rid of all the crud

I have the 2TB version and have heard no noise from the fan or hard drive.

My replacement came this morning and it's way quieter, there's no clicking from the hard disk and the fan it pretty quiet. I'm really glad I changed it; I'd not have been happy with that clicking noise audible and I know from experience not to trust a hard drive that doesn't sound right, especially on a new unit!

In terms of hiding channels, you can set up a favourites list and use that for your channel list and EPG. This gets rid of any channels that you don't want to see, and can then be sorted by channel number or name. I would like to be able to manually set the channel order (like you could do on older Humax boxes) so that the HD versions of the main channels are at the top of the list, but that doesn't seem to be an option yet.

I actually find the favourites bit confusing. It lets you create five favourites lists and rename them. Is that so different users can have their favourites? And where do I set it to default to a specific favourites list?

My replacement came this morning and it's way quieter, there's no clicking from the hard disk and the fan it pretty quiet. I'm really glad I changed it; I'd not have been happy with that clicking noise audible and I know from experience not to trust a hard drive that doesn't sound right, especially on a new unit!

I actually find the favourites bit confusing. It lets you create five favourites lists and rename them. Is that so different users can have their favourites? And where do I set it to default to a specific favourites list?
When in Tv Guide, press red and choose i.e favourites 1.

Does anyone know if you can delete channels? I've found an option to lock them or set up favourites; but ideally want to completely get rid of all the crud

I think setting up a favourites list is currently the only way to fly. It is effectively that same as deleting the channels if you just use the EPG, although they still show up if you use press channel up or down whilst watching TV.

But I'm using my Harmony Remote anyway, so no deal breaker.

I havent added the Aura to my Harmony remote properly yet, although most of the IR commands seem the same as my old Humax. Are there any instructions on how to pair the hub with the Aura via Bluetooth?

It's not yet available by the looks of things I'd be interested to know what the hold up is and a time line.

Perhaps it needs more work. The aura was launched with a few bugs not yet sorted. Imagine Humax want to sort these out first,

I would be interested to know if any one else has experienced recordings starting but then not having an end time I had one yesterday that recorded for 16 hours before I spotted it and the only way to stop it was to unplug and plug in again, this has happened twice to me so far on 2 recordings both on CBSreality?

I think setting up a favourites list is currently the only way to fly. It is effectively that same as deleting the channels if you just use the EPG, although they still show up if you use press channel up or down whilst watching TV.

I havent added the Aura to my Harmony remote properly yet, although most of the IR commands seem the same as my old Humax. Are there any instructions on how to pair the hub with the Aura via Bluetooth?
Not sure, I just used the Harmony App to replace my old Humax with the Aura. It seems to work generally, but not all commands seem to have been automatically mapped over. Think it needs a bit of tweaking

After working for a few days I have now lost pictures but retained sound. I have tried different HMDI cables and re-linking the Aura to my Samsung TV. I have also tried an attenuator. I get Freeview with good quality sound and vision via the TV's Freeview tuner. Has anyone else had similar problems? Should I just return it for a replacement via Amazon?

After working for a few days I have now lost pictures but retained sound. I have tried different HMDI cables and re-linking the Aura to my Samsung TV. I have also tried an attenuator. I get Freeview with good quality sound and vision via the TV's Freeview tuner. Has anyone else had similar problems? Should I just return it for a replacement via Amazon?

Is it picture on everything or just freeview?

Is it picture on everything or just freeview?
Just Freeview via the Aura box. I have a good picture via the Samsung TV's Freeview tuner. I have cut the coax cable back and added a new connector to the end of the coax that is inserted into the back of the Aura in the bedroom. I also re-cut the end of the coax that enters a signal booster in the lounge.

Last edited:
Just Freeview via the Aura box. I have a good picture via the Samsung TV's Freeview tuner. I have cut the coax cable back and added a new F-type connector to the end of the coax that is inserted into the back of the Aura in the bedroom. I also re-cut the end of the coax that enters a signal booster in the lounge.

No you misunderstand The Aura can do more than just play freeview can you watch iplayer, prime etc. do you get a picture on those?

F connectors are screw in type connecter used on satellite and cable not freeview which is a push in connector.

Also you say you have tried a different HDMI lead have you tried a different port on the TV?

No you misunderstand The Aura can do more than just play freeview can you watch iplayer, prime etc. do you get a picture on those?

F connectors are screw in type connecter used on satellite and cable not freeview which is a push in connector.

Also you say you have tried a different HDMI lead have you tried a different port on the TV?

There are only two ports on the TV. One is for the soundbar. The soundbar doesn't work with the other HDMI port. I'll have a look at iPlayer etc this evening. My mistake, there are push in connectors for the Aura and a loop coax between the TV and Aura. There are F-type connectors on the signal booster.

I have had my Aura box for 2 weeks and was more than satisfied with it until yesterday when I was playing back a recording. The box suddenly stopped and froze. It bleeped and then started to reset itself before allowing me to go back into recordings. This morning the box was frozen so I switched it off at the mains for 10 seconds, and then back on after which it reset itself. However, when I go into the programme guide to set recordings only some of the series linked programmes are showing and not the full list as shown in the schedule which is slightly inconvenient. I have notified the retailer and await their reply but I wonder if I am lone in this?

I think that it is par for the course with Humax. When I got my FVP-4000T 500GB I had to return 3 before I got a good one, thank God for Argos 🙏 but this one has been fine for a few years now, best PVR's you can get when they are working properly.

I thought Humax had hit the spot this time and maybe they have. There is always the unforeseen and I am aware of that. The retailer and I agreed that I should do a factory reset and see what happens over the next few days. They are quite happy to replace the box or refund my money but I hope to avoid that. I have been using a Manhattan T3-R which is superb but the Humax offered more recording capacity. It will be interesting to see Manhattan's next-generation box.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom