NEWS: Huawei launches Google-less Mate 30 and Mate 30 Pro phones

Dbcoup

Distinguished Member
I am in the market for a new phone at the moment, I have just added this to my short list. The absence of Google doesn't bother me in the slightest. My main concern is security and spyware with the new OS.
Lovely phone with great spec's but the price will have to come down a fair bit to entice the masses I think.

Har-One

Distinguished Member
Huawei claims the Kirin 990 5G version boasts ‘the world’s most powerful 5G modem’.
This claim might well be true for a change. They are meant to be at least 6 months ahead of the competition, technologically speaking.

It will be interesting if the new OS is really good. The restriction on using Google's Apps might be the beginning of Google's own undoing. I would love to have a competing OS which is as good or better. Of course, if it is not up to scratch then HarmonyOS might be dead before it begins.

Har-One

Distinguished Member
My main concern is security and spyware with the new OS.
I do not think by a second that the real reason it is the security thread that Huawei poses, that was an excuse. IMHO, it is just an economic war. USA will lose the control of the 5G and loads of money because of it. They are seriously lagging behind. One of their companies created the 5GE, E for evolution which is not 5G at all. If you cannot make it, fake it.

In addition, all of them are mining our private data with or without consent. They hide the opt-out options so that by default we are 'consenting'. Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon all of them are 'spying' they know more about ourselves than our own families.

The only app that I will miss, it is WhatsApp. I welcome the absence of facebook, instagram and the like.

The other plus of Huawei, it is the 5 bands of 5G. I love Samsung but they are a pain in the @. They disable their broadcom wifi chip if one goes on holidays to one the forbidding countries.

I have been toying with the idea of getting the Note 9 and 10 5G but I have been reluctant to buy them and then discover that I cannot use it in certain parts of the world.

SunnyIntervals

The Mate 30 phones are all running Android 10, not Harmony.

I agree though; a flagship phone that doesn't have Apple or Google involved should be an exciting event, but typically the media are saying no one will buy it without Google on it. That said, it hasn't been confirmed which markets it will be released in, and it is pricey which surprised me.

Nice looking phones though, I really hope they do well; Google has as much to worry about here than Huawei.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Way too expensive for what it is. Especially with no established eco system behind it. I’m sure it will do fine in its home market, and there will be a handful in the rest of the world using it. The rest will simply ignore it.
Granted, it has a big spec list. But without good apps and good use ability that doesn’t mean anything at all to me.
And With even tighter integration with the Huawei company I think it’s a recipe of disaster happening for personal information and data.

ozzzy189

So no gmail? On your phone? Hmm, I wouldntspend all that money if I had to boot up my crusty old laptop just to read my mails every day.

Har-One

Distinguished Member
I think it’s a recipe of disaster happening for personal information and data.
What will be the difference with the like of Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter?

They already have your data and used it to manipulate people. Cambridge Analytica and AggregateIQ had no connection with Huawei.

Android has a very hidden option to allow your device to scan the wifi space even when the wifi is turn off. Most people will assume that if they turn wifi off that will be the end of it.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
What will be the difference with the like of Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter?

They already have your data and used it to manipulate people. Cambridge Analytica and AggregateIQ had no connection with Huawei.

Android has a very hidden option to allow your device to scan the wifi space even when the wifi is turn off. Most people will assume that if they turn wifi off that will be the end of it.
We've already had threads about Huawei. Perhaps best to keep this to this Mate 30 Pro itself. As always do your own research, be careful not to mix up different issues though as the above has got a great mixture of very different issues yet are being presented as being the same.

Dave X

So no gmail? On your phone? Hmm, I wouldntspend all that money if I had to boot up my crusty old laptop just to read my mails every day.
You would be able to load an alternative mail app (like Aqua) to handle email.

Your major problem would be no Play Store and no Google services, so no banking apps, no GooglePay, possibly no Netflix, SkyGo, PrimeVideo or any other app that uses DRM (Widevine DRM is built into Google services TrustZone).

I have seen an article that states Google is aiming to prevent signing into Google on any uncertified handset, so it’s probably not wise to spend £700+ on a phone that could well be blocked out of the whole Google ecosystem completely.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I have seen an article that states Google is aiming to prevent signing into Google on any uncertified handset, so it’s probably not wise to spend £700+ on a phone that could well be blocked out of the whole Google ecosystem completely.
This has been in place for 18 months. The US sanctions against huawei should not be conflated with this. Different things

Har-One

Distinguished Member
We've already had threads about Huawei. Perhaps best to keep this to this Mate 30 Pro itself. As always do your own research, be careful not to mix up different issues though as the above has got a great mixture of very different issues yet are being presented as being the same.
I agree with you on the first two sentences.

However, the rest of the post is relevant to the same issue, data protection and personal information. All these companies are collecting our personal information and in that regard they are not better than Huawei.

Dave X

This has been in place for 18 months. The US sanctions against huawei should not be conflated with this. Different things
Different but connected, the Mate 30 series will be uncertified devices so liable to fall foul of the sign in block as things stand.

hyeongseong

Novice Member
Different but connected, the Mate 30 series will be uncertified devices so liable to fall foul of the sign in block as things stand.
Yep You can't install google play services on it. so you wont able to use any google pay, netflix or any thing that use their drm system or any google single sign in service.

SunnyIntervals

It's not a phone I'd be getting anyway (only a few months into a contract with a P30 Pro), but I really hope all this Trump nonsense gets sorted out so future Huawei phones are able to work with Google; it's a lovely looking phone with some great features.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
It's not a phone I'd be getting anyway (only a few months into a contract with a P30 Pro), but I really hope all this Trump nonsense gets sorted out so future Huawei phones are able to work with Google; it's a lovely looking phone with some great features.
Where two are playing two are guilty. This isn't just Trump nonsense, Huawei is under scrutiny around the world. There is too much government influence in that company.

LexDiamond

My initial thoughts on this were that past experience shows that the mobile phone sector doesn't really have space for more than two operating systems. Nokia and Blackberry showed us this. But then again, smart mobile tech was in its infancy back then so may be there is space for a third competitor.

So it should be interesting seeing how this pans out. I don't think they will dent iOS but should be interesting to see if this develops as a genuine alternative to Android.

Har-One

Distinguished Member
Where two are playing two are guilty. This isn't just Trump nonsense, Huawei is under scrutiny around the world. There is too much government influence in that company.
I do not think that it is a fair assessment. This not a situation that two are playing. This is more of situation that if I am not a the owner of the ball and control the game I will do everything to stop the game.

Huawei, technically can be forced by the Chinese government to hand over data. Something that can also happen in the west. Of course, it will be more difficult to achieve due to the separation of power, at least one hopes so, but it is something that will be done if need be.

In Huawei's defense, it is important to mention that they have opened themselves to scrutiny. They invited everyone to come and inspect their code. Don't we have clever enough people to find those backdoors? If I am not mistaken, the UK services did that and did not find the ghost.

This has nothing to do with security, it is an economic war. The prove is that Trump suggested an arrangement. If it were a security issue, there was no way on earth that an arrangement could be found.

Dave X

Google have blocked the side loader method of installing Google apps, it seems they've even nuked apps already installed on Huawei Mate 30's at the same time.

Huawei Mate 30 phones apparently lose backdoor access to Google apps

Huawei's new Mate 30 phones reportedly lost their ability to install Google's Android apps, Bloomberg reported, eliminating a workaround for President Donald Trump's ban on the controversial Chinese company.

Security researcher John Wu outlined the process that let Huawei Mate 30 owners manually download and install major apps Google Maps and Gmail. This method, which used an app called LZPlay, apparently no longer works, and Bloomberg reported that only Google is able to make that kind of change.

Though it seems a good thing it's been blocked, the app people were using to install Google was taking over the device as remote administrator and unlocking all permissions in the process.

The Internet, as it is wont to do, has been coming up with workarounds to fix this problem to get Google apps on the Mate 30 Pro. The gray market distribution of Google apps is something the Android modding scene has down to a science, and it's fairly easy to get Google apps on things that don't normally come with Google apps, like Amazon Kindle Fire devices, custom ROMs based on the open source Android code (like LineageOS), and on imported devices meant for the Google-free Chinese market.

Unfortunately, none of these methods works on the Mate 30 Pro. They rely on either an unlocked bootloader, which allows users to flash Google apps to the normally read-only system partition, or they rely on "stub apps" left in the system partition by the device manufacturer specifically for the Google apps, so sideloaded versions can get the system-level permissions they need to work. The Mate 30 doesn't allow for either method.

With all the traditional techniques out the window, the Internet's brand-new method for getting Google apps onto the Mate 30 is through a website called Lzplay.net.

Protip: Don't set a random Chinese website as the remote administrator of your smartphone
Full details:

Steven

Senior Moderator
For anyone who has not the read the link posted by @Dave X, performing a valuable public service, the workaround involves granting full remote control admin privileges to a (Chinese mainland) website set up three months ago.

Yeah okay because granting remote control to any website anywhere is fine

It's just easier to buy a phone from someone else ;) :)

WhiteHartMart

Have read this is also filtering down to owners of the P30 Pro on Android 10 Beta firmware!

chopples

Have read this is also filtering down to owners of the P30 Pro on Android 10 Beta firmware!
Been fixed with the new beta but this is not unusual, the vendor often doesn't bother to get secure net authorization due to the amount of versions they are lobbing out. Same happened with the wife's galaxy 9 when she was in the pie beta.