NEWS: HDR and Spotify coming to Sky Q

Hi mark, do you think we will get hdr for the sky hd box? I doubt it but have to ask.

I would have believed hdr10 should have been standard by now for films in particular...they are late...

If they are just adding HDR to non HDR content then it's pointless. But for live sports I'd be very interested

If they are just adding HDR to non HDR content then it's pointless. But for live sports I'd be very interested
What do you mean? You talking about pseudo hdr versus native content with hdr?

The HDR content will have the most impact on live content, rather than 4K resolution so combined, would make excellent effects on the screen.

HDR on Sky may likely roll out with the new Premier League season in August, sport is normally the first to benefit from new technology.

Be good if they could add HDR to Sky Cinema too.

Has there been any news doing the rounds about Sky testing HDR for live sport? You usually get news well before a function goes 'live' about Sky testing things. I've not seen owt.

Finally!
Sky seems always behind everyone else these
IMO they are under serious threat from streaming. They desperately need to match the others and reduce their pricing if they are to survive

Is this likely to be HLG? I've been looking forward to Sky broadcasting HDR, I just hope it's a format that's compatible with my tv.

I think football in UHD & HDR would look great so I'll be interested in how this turns out. Hopefully it'll solve the issue of the pitch partially in shade or bright sunshine. Only thing is I am sure they would roll it out for EPL games only, which I have virtually no interest in.

Sky don't even show Spanish games in UHD even though every Real Madrid and Barcelona match is broadcast in UHD in Spain (on Movistar Partidazo/BeIN La Liga).

Was waiting for this, Sky 4k HDR has been available in Italy for a few weeks now. I believe there Q platform uses the same hardware as the UK. The new F1 season has already been confirmed, late Jan i think it was.

Delivery is HLG, I cancelled My Q but would be tempted to come back for F1 in HDR

cheers

IMO they are under serious threat from streaming. They desperately need to match the others and reduce their pricing if they are to survive

Massively agree.
Just reflecting the other day on the value I get from Netflix at £7 a month versus the £80 a month for Sky. I expect most of us have done that. Sky used to have a strength in that there was a bottleneck in distributing channels, now that's going they have real - and much better value - competition. In a few years time the Sky business model could be broken.

If that were the case, then why the hell are Comcast and 21st Century Fox having a fight over buying Sky.:rotfl: Asset stripping? Pension fund destruction? Or a mature and viable Pay TV platform?

Yep, it'll be HLG. That's the version incorporated into the broadcast standard. It's also mentioned in their technical spec for UHD content - http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s...unch-technical-guidelines-for-uhd-content.pdf

Obviously HLG makes sense for its broadcast content - sports for example but they also have a big on-demand section which could offer HDR10 (movies, Box Sets) similar to Netflix/Amazon.

Not saying they will of course BUT by the same token, its entirely possible that the on-demand content, just like the bulk of Sky's 4k content, could offer HDR10 as that is most likely format for this material.

Yep, it'll be HLG. That's the version incorporated into the broadcast standard. It's also mentioned in their technical spec for UHD content - http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s...unch-technical-guidelines-for-uhd-content.pdf

"Excessive use of the dynamic range, without editorial justification, may result in content being rejected."

Heh heh, the HDR equivalent of 3D content with stuff coming out of the screen at you for no reason whatsoever, other than to say "HEY! IT'S 3D, IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW!"

I suppose we can now look forward to people shining torches straight at us for no reason whatsoever...

HLG. UHD F1 HDR would have been sweet (if its coming)

I'll just add that to the "Dear Mrs Kid, I need a new TV because......" letter.

Hopefully they will make UHD content more noticeable rather than hiding it away in some hidden sub menu somewhere too !

You can set SKY Q to default to UHD. Makes it a lot easier. I used to hate watching something in 1080p only to find it was available in 4K. (first world problems eh)?

This makes me wonder why I still have to pay £10 a month extra for plain old HD content.. If it wasn't for my sky F1 legacy package I would have ditched it ages ago. (There's no way i'd pay however much it is for just the F1 channel)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom