NEWS: HDMI 2.1 Specification Announced

Yes cancel it, that cable will only be of use with a HDMI 2.1 port.
Just get the amazon basics HDMI cable that's all you need.

The cables should work with HDMI 1.4 and 2.1 so they will not be of 'no' use. To get the full benefit though, you will need to be connected to HDMI 2.1 devices. All these cables are like pipes with differing diameters that allow data to flow from one device to another the standard HDMI being the narrowest and would only cope with a smaller flow of liquid before it starts to back up.

The 2.1 cables should allow a LOT more data to flow through 8Gb/s) but if the device is only capable of sending/receiving 18Gb/s (2.0) then that's the maximum amount of data that will flow through it. Its the same as plugging in a high speed (2.0) cable into HDMI 1.4 devices- they still work too but its a bit of a waste.

Interesting informative thread.
As a newby to all this HDMI and 4K I have been utterly confused. My old Yamaha RX-V2605 has now become redundant since I bought the Samsung 82UM7000 tv, so I bought the Pioneer VSX 932 as recommended in Richer Sounds today, along with a 4 K Panasonic UB700 also recommended, the Amp has 2.2 compatible ports, but the TV is HDMI 2.0, but after a phone call to Samsung today their technical dept. says it is 2.2 compatible. SO I am confused as to what HDMI lead I need as I want to use my AMP as the video switcher, and it will be a 5 meter length, I go onto Amazon and they have HDMI 2, HDMI 2a, HDMI 2B, so which one will I need, all I want to do is watch UHD dvds and utilise my SkyQ for UHD movies..

Please accept my apologies if this should not be posted here but in main forum... Matt

Interesting informative thread.
As a newby to all this HDMI and 4K I have been utterly confused. My old Yamaha RX-V2605 has now become redundant since I bought the Samsung 82UM7000 tv, so I bought the Pioneer VSX 932 as recommended in Richer Sounds today, along with a 4 K Panasonic UB700 also recommended, the Amp has 2.2 compatible ports, but the TV is HDMI 2.0, but after a phone call to Samsung today their technical dept. says it is 2.2 compatible. SO I am confused as to what HDMI lead I need as I want to use my AMP as the video switcher, and it will be a 5 meter length, I go onto Amazon and they have HDMI 2, HDMI 2a, HDMI 2B, so which one will I need, all I want to do is watch UHD dvds and utilise my SkyQ for UHD movies..

Please accept my apologies if this should not be posted here but in main forum... Matt

2.2 is referring to HDCP 2.2 which stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. This is a form of digital copy protection to prevent copying of digital, audio & video content as it travels across connections. In other words, you can't connect it to something that will copy the content. To ensure you don't have some recording device, the device will send a check to the display and expect the display to respond. If it doesn't have HDCP, you won't get a picture. This is required along all parts of the chain so if you have an AVR in between the source and the display, you require HDCP 2.2 support at each HDMI port.

Not all HDMI 2.0 ports have HDCP2.2 support. SkyQ requires HDCP2.2 (to stop illegal copying) as will 4k Bluray players too.

Hope this helps

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Regardless, you don't need to spend big on cables at all - not with Digital. You are mainly paying for the way it looks. As long as its capable of passing the required data from 1 device to another, then its perfectly fine.

Thanks again, it is amazing having this site and info from you guys, I was in Currys today and they said I needed a 4K cable that would have cost £99.00 LOL, being in sales myself as the saying goes don't BS and BSer

Thanks again, it is amazing having this site and info from you guys, I was in Currys today and they said I needed a 4K cable that would have cost £99.00 LOL, being in sales myself as the saying goes don't BS and BSer

Curry's make 'little' money on the big items like TV's and so try and make money on the little items and extended warranties. You do need a '4k' capable cable but don't need to spend £100 on one. SkyQ and Consoles like the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro all come with 'High Speed' HDMI cables anyway so the only reason to buy is if you need a longer one. As long as you buy one that has the required bandwidth for the content, you are fine.

SCOLANATOR said ' I'm sure they'll have cheap 2.1 cables next year'. Preferably all cable 'brands' will follow the HDMI.org guidelines and stop mentioning HDMI Version numbers and stick to the official naming convention.

The New cable spec announced alongside the HDMI 2.1 Hardware revision spec is 'Ultra High Speed' (no official 'logo' as yet - see link below).

MattJ45 - the longer you go and the higher the bandwidth of your Source signal the more chance you have of hitting problems. If purchasing New look for High Speed or Premium High Speed cables - this time next year you would add Ultra High Speed cables to your options list. If you are 'installing' any of the cables in a wall ensure you have the ability to easily replace the cable as they can fail, get damaged or become obsolete.

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Finding the Right Cable

Joe

The cables should work with HDMI 1.4 and 2.1 so they will not be of 'no' use. To get the full benefit though, you will need to be connected to HDMI 2.1 devices. All these cables are like pipes with differing diameters that allow data to flow from one device to another the standard HDMI being the narrowest and would only cope with a smaller flow of liquid before it starts to back up.

The 2.1 cables should allow a LOT more data to flow through 8Gb/s) but if the device is only capable of sending/receiving 18Gb/s (2.0) then that's the maximum amount of data that will flow through it. Its the same as plugging in a high speed (2.0) cable into HDMI 1.4 devices- they still work too but its a bit of a waste.
I never said they won't work with other HDMI versions, I was basically saying that paying a premium for a 2.1 cable when you have only just purchased a TV with HDMI 2.0 is a waste of money since all cables have the same features and can save yourself a few quid by buying a cheaper one which will do the exact same thing.

@ryanvincent It is a waste - if you only intend to buy 2.0 devices from here on but if you want more 'future' proof cables instead of buying cables that could be obsolete in a few years with their set-up. I can see it being a viable idea to invest in 2.1 cables even if you don't yet have the devices. I wouldn't buy 1.4 (standard) cables - even if the device I was planning to use it for was only HDMI 1.4 because that would limit its use if/when I replaced that particular device.

HDMI cables don’t have Features - the hardware they connect to has Features.

There are no HDMI X.x HDMI cables - they are either Standard, High Speed, Premium High Speed or non-Certified.

In 2018 you will start to see the new Ultra High Speed Certified Cables.

Joe

HDMI cables don’t have Features - the hardware they connect to has Features.

There are no HDMI X.x HDMI cables - they are either Standard, High Speed, Premium High Speed or non-Certified.

In 2018 you will start to see the new Ultra High Speed Certified Cables.

Joe

I know there is no such thing as HDMI 1.4, 2.0 or 2.1 cables but I use that as it seems easier than using Standard, High Speed etc. The Cables are rated according to Bandwidth but a lot of people don't seem to know what bandwidth they need for devices. Plugging in a High Speed cable to a devices with HDMI 1.4 doesn't actually increase the 'speed' - the data sent will still be received at the same rate as if you used a Standard HDMI cable. High Speed just allows more data to be sent per second due to a higher bandwidth. It would make more sense to name them according to bandwidth.

By using 1.4, 2.0 or 2.1, its also easier for those who are 'unsure' of bandwidth, unsure of which cables to buy etc to get the cable suited to their needs. I thought the HDMI 2.1 cables were actually going to be called '48G' referring to their 48Gbps bandwidth capacity.

I only use the 1.4, 2.0 etc to make it easier for people to understand which cables people may need. A lot of retailers also use this to differentiate between the cables too. I have seen cables being labelled or indicated as being 1.4 'high speed' - for example HDMI High Speed 3DTV 1.4 Cable Sky/PS3/TV Screened Lead 1.5m - HLC-004384 - kenable for HDMI Optical TOS Network Ethernet RJ45 Scart Audio Phono Jack USB Firewire 800 ADSL Cable Leads which is probably why people are confused. No indication that this is a Category 2 cable at all.

Currys are there to rip off and confuse customers. Don't trust a think they say. They make a fortune selling overpriced HDMI cables. Providing they are to the right standard and are long enough then they will be as good as any cable. Amazon Basics are pretty much everyones go to HDMI cables.

HDMI 1.4 (older) for 1080P60
HDMI 2.0 (current) for 4K60
HDMI 2.1 (new standard coming on TV's next year) for above 4k60 so all the way from 4k120 to 10k120 - all these standards are backwards compatible with what came before.

I try and avoid ever buying from Currys, Richersounds are far better.

'I know there is no such thing as HDMI 1.4, 2.0 or 2.1 cables' - then don't repeat the misinformation! :)

Joe

'I know there is no such thing as HDMI 1.4, 2.0 or 2.1 cables' - then don't repeat the misinformation! :)

Joe

I stated why I used it and the reasons are valid - so don't be so pedantic!

'I stated why I used it and the reasons are valid - so don't be so pedantic!' - so I should look for 2.1 cables rather than certified High Speed or Premium High Speed cables?

Is there a Spec somewhere for these 2.1 cables?

Joe

'I stated why I used it and the reasons are valid - so don't be so pedantic!' - so I should look for 2.1 cables rather than certified High Speed or Premium High Speed cables?

Is there a Spec somewhere for these 2.1 cables?

Joe

If you go online and shop, most retailers do list their cables with 1.4 or 2.0 so I expect that they will also list them with 2.1 too to avoid confusion. If you were to look up 'High Speed', there is no guarantee that it will be 18Gbps or 11Gbps. Adding in Premium won't help either because there are already 'Premium' cables - usually trying to insinuate they are of better quality than other cables. As I said, I have already seen High Speed and Premium High Speed cables that are not at the standard you would expect based on the nomenclature given by HDMI. This is why I also use the 1.4, 2.0 and 2.1 because that is something more people understand and I also recommend that they look at the Bandwidth capability but not every cable has this listed.

After spending years offering advice, and having people send me links asking whether certain cables are suitable, I am well aware that companies use 'High Speed' and 'Premium' to sell cables that are not up to the standard that those names imply based on HDMI's nomenclature. You could also refer to them as Category 1 and Category 2 cables.

In the end I got fed up with typing 'High Speed' and explaining the naming, which as I have already explained isn't consistently used by retailers - after all 'Standard' isn't going to sell with 'High Speed' and 'Premium'. Most retailers do use 1.4 and 2.0 to differentiate the two and I wouldn't be surprised if 2.1 is used too. Whether that is correct or not, its something that the majority of people seem to understand and use so by 'common usage', that may not be the 'official name but it is the more well known name.

The reason I use it is because I am trying to help people - not confuse them or lead them to buy cables that are incorrectly named by retailers to sell.

'This is why I also use the 1.4, 2.0 and 2.1' - it may well be 'common usage' but it tells you nothing about any cable as there is no standard to benchmark against.

If you want to purchase a certified Cable look for the Manufacturers/Brands who go through the very expensive process to have their cables Certified as Standard, High Speed, Premium High Speed or 'coming soon' Ultra High Speed.

High Speed and Premium High Speed are recommended for 4K UHD - just remember they top out at 8m, anything longer and you have to look at alternative cable types (Active, Fibre or Hybrid Fibre).

'I am well aware that companies use 'High Speed' and 'Premium' to sell cables that are not up to the standard' - agreed lots of resellers use that term loosely, in that case simply look for the official Logo and with the Premium High Speed Cables they must carry the tamper proof identification.

Joe

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom