Quantcast

NEWS: HBO Max to air 'Snyder Cut' of Justice League in 2021

flashf1

You can't polish a turd.
How original! But seriously you can, there's a few "directors cuts" out there that dramatically improve on the theatrical release. Two that come to my mind are Troy & Kingdom of Heaven.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Apparently on 1/4 of Snyders stuff was used, it’s a completely different film, it has Darkseid in for a start

Gravyboat74

Standard Member
I'm looking forward to this. I purposely avoided watching the 2017 version, partly because of the horrendous Cavillmouth publicity stills, but mainly because I always suspected a Snyder Cut would make it's way down the pipeline at some point. Just hope it lands on Prime.

flashf1

How original! But seriously you can, there's a few "directors cuts" out there that dramatically improve on the theatrical release. Two that come to my mind are Troy & Kingdom of Heaven.
..and Superman 2 (Donner Cut)

aidey6

The extended version of Batman vs Superman was an improvement

If we were not in a global pandemic, I do wonder if WB would have really have spent the alledged $20 million-plus on this. If nothing else it gets people interested in HBO Max

Fingers crossed it is less divisive than the previous two films in this trilogy of sorts

VisionMan

The extended version of Batman vs Superman was an improvement

If we were not in a global pandemic, I do wonder if WB would have really have spent the alledged $20 million-plus on this. If nothing else it gets people interested in HBO Max

Fingers crossed it is less divisive than the previous two films in this trilogy of sorts
Why did it cost them $20m dollars to make this happen?

aidey6

This is supposedly going to be a 4 hour film (/ mini-series?) effectively double the length of the one that WB signed off for the cinema viewers. I suppose it will be for the visual effects and salaries for the cast.

Will I Aint

It's true, you can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.

Phil1975

Distinguished Member
I personally can't wait for this...:clap:

scrowe

Zack Snyder shot the film, and assembled a 4h cut of all the footage. In the background the studio (Warner Bros) we’re caught between greed and panic, in trying to emulate Marvel’s success without earning it. They considered the commercial and critical response to BvS not ‘good enough’ and in response to the billion-dollar success of Avengers, decided their JL needed to be like that, rather than the continued darker, serious tone of Snyder‘s films, and so panicked with what they were shown. Note they did exactly the same thing with Suicide Squad, taking it away from the Director, and reshooting and cutting the movie, to make a lighter version with humour. Also a bit of a mess.

Then Zack and Deborah Snyders daughter committed suicide, so they had to withdraw from the movie, albeit rumours are they were going to be fired anyway, or were told they needed to take time off, depends what you believe. They then hired Joss Whedon (The Avengers writer/director) to complete the movie, which ended up reshooting 75% of the movie, for a different look’ feel and tone, with banter and humour. Therefore the entire postproduction effort was on Whedon’s rewritten film, editing, special effects, score, etc. What we got was an obvious mess, that only used footage from Snyder where some postprod had been completed and could be shot and edited around.

So Zack Snyder has been given the money to do all the post-production, editing, scoring, colouring, effects, etc. On his original filmed assembly, which is rumoured to be between $20-30m. Options considered are to cut it into a 6-episode event, 2 movies, or even a 4h epic. It was the right decision in my opinion and at least let’s the original been seen and evaluated.

The raven

Im a huge DC fan. Justice league was awful on every level. Everything built in man of steel and BVS was removed and replaced with light hearted unfunny jokes. Batman making quips "i dont not like you"

Thank god WB did the right thing in the end

hippo99

Distinguished Member
I think people should reserve their judgement until they’ve actually seen it, before declaring this as yet unseen cut as the second coming...

There’s no guarantee that it’s going to be good or a turd...I find Snyder’s output quite hit & miss.

scrowe

I think people should reserve their judgement until they’ve actually seen it, before declaring this as yet unseen cut as the second coming...

There’s no guarantee that it’s going to be good or a turd...I find Snyder’s output quite hit & miss.
He needs to find better collaborators on story, and to some extent work on the pacing of movies. His movies always look fantastic and feel epic. For example with all the fuss this week I rewatched Man of Steel last night, which I really enjoy, apart from the same problem is there from when I first saw it. It seems to be at the finish point, then it goes again, and then again. There was at least one big battle too many at the end, and this wasn’t even the extended cut. He usually shoots a lot, and his films always end up with longer cuts, which means he ‘collaborates’ with the studios more often than not on the ‘cinema cut’ but his Directors Cuts are always vastly better, but I think that rather than blame the studios he needs to work on conceiving and making 2h movies, rather than having to have 3hrs all he time to say what he needs to say story-wise.

BvS is similar in that it is overstuffed, so it needed the longer Directors Cut to make better sense of it, and let it flow better. They shouldn’t have overstuffed it in the first place, because the studio will want all the ‘money stuff’ left in, and you end up cutting character and exposition, that gives the action needed meaning and context.

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
BvS is similar in that it is overstuffed, so it needed the longer Directors Cut to make better sense of it, and let it flow better. They shouldn’t have overstuffed it in the first place, because the studio will want all the ‘money stuff’ left in, and you end up cutting character and exposition, that gives the action needed meaning and context.
I thought the same on BvS - it makes a lot more sense, but that meant the story needed to be condensed significantly at script stage. If he worked better at creating much tighter stories (and collaborated with better writers) his films would be massively improved.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I've absolutely zero interest in watching a straight 4hr movie of this. None of the characters except Wonder Woman stand out; Affleck was good as Batman, but not great. I very much doubt it would hold my attention.

If they've got any sense they will release it episodically, or at least two 2 hours jobbers, akin to Marvel's Infinity War and Endgame.

I still favour DC comics and characters over Marvel, so I really want WB to make a success of the DCU. Hopefully this will find a fanbase and then kickstart things all over again.

Naturally with a lot more quality than we've had.

scrowe

I've absolutely zero interest in watching a straight 4hr movie of this. None of the characters except Wonder Woman stand out; Affleck was good as Batman, but not great. I very much doubt it would hold my attention.

If they've got any sense they will release it episodically, or at least two 2 hours jobbers, akin to Marvel's Infinity War and Endgame.

I still favour DC comics and characters over Marvel, so I really want WB to make a success of the DCU. Hopefully this will find a fanbase and then kickstart things all over again.

Naturally with a lot more quality than we've had.
I think the good thing about the position that DC find themselves in, is they have given up trying to control their IP across different media. This leaves creators free to pitch and produce their own take on the characters. So you can have different interpretations of even now the ‘big’ characters across network TV, streaming TV and movies. In the end this is no different to comics where different creative teams reinterpret the characters with their own vision. This is what gets me sometimes with some of the fandom, debates, in that Snyder should have been free to follow his vision, just like any creative team on tge books are free to follow theirs.

The good ones do it without losing the essence of the characters and their origins, some very poor ones can piss all over it, meaning someone else has to come in and retcon/fix it. DC are the worst at this in the comics requiriing endless Crises, flash points, and infinite rebirths, where they ‘miss’ much more than they ‘hit’. In fact very much like their films.

But at least there isn’t the ‘copy Marvel MCU’ vibe infesting their productions now at studio level. Marvel has a unique visionary and team that have had a memorable run in movies with their universe building and continuity building a wider momentum and fan base, brilliantly straddling the line between established fan base, and the wider mainstream audience. But this approach unravelled a bit on the Netflix shows, remains to be seen how Disney+ fares, and with the next batch of movies arguable based on second-string characters, and already issues of how you fit the darker, and in one case extremely adult Fox properties back into the established MCU. It will be fascinating to see how they rise to the challenge.

EDIT: missed the main point of my response.

There clearly isn’t a DCU anymore in their movie strategy, and no attempt to have continuity between tv, streaming and movies.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Zak Snyder's films, especially the endings, always remind me of that line in Macbeth: "A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." He's like a more depressing version of Michael Bay.

Justice League as it stands is not a particularly good film; the Snyder Cut will, I am confident, remove every single scene in it that I actually like.

VisionMan

Zak Snyder's films, especially the endings, always remind me of that line in Macbeth: "A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." He's like a more depressing version of Michael Bay.

Justice League as it stands is not a particularly good film; the Snyder Cut will, I am confident, remove every single scene in it that I actually like.
I was thinking exactly the same thing..... The movie as it stands at the moment is a turd. So at least he can't make it any worse. Err... can he?

VisionMan

I've never been able to watch The Man of Steel all the way through. I've tried, but just find the whole film too dark and depressing.

Trending threads

Latest News

Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung 2020 TV app lineup upgraded