NEWS: Google's Stadia to launch in November for £8.99 per month

This is surely worth a punt at £120. The next generation of consoles isn’t too far away and they’re likely to be circa £400 + online service fees.

OT - It’d be hilarious if Google moneyhatted Rockstar to get GTA VI as an exclusive.

OT - It’d be hilarious if Google moneyhatted Rockstar to get GTA VI as an exclusive.
If anyone can Google can. They'll buy it, run it for six months then just close it!

I know it shouldn't, but it kind of saddens me that this could be the start of the death nail in gaming as we know it. I'm holding on to bluray / UHD disks until the bitter end where everything is going streaming, looks like this is going the same way with gaming. I do like the buzz of a new console generation, upgrading the PC, buying a game etc. For me this is taking away some of what I love. Of course I'd be totally pooped if my internet went down.

Console gaming won't be going anywhere for the next 10 years or so, you don't have to worry about anything.

Remember, there are many people in rural areas, or many south American, Asian and Middle eastern countries that are still using broadband connections let alone Fibre. You really think these profit driven corporations will neglect 50% of the market.

Console gaming won't be going anywhere for the next 10 years or so, you don't have to worry about anything.

Remember, there are many people in rural areas, or many south American, Asian and Middle eastern countries that are still using broadband connections let alone Fibre. You really think these profit driven corporations will neglect 50% of the market.

True enough but for some it could be a total game changer in the way that Spotify etc has been for music. It could also fall flat on its face.

This is surely worth a punt at £120. The next generation of consoles isn’t too far away and they’re likely to be circa £400 + online service fees.

It is for me, even if I'm only playing Destiny 2 to test out the connection, lag etc..

Stadia is definately a good option for gamers. In India it will take more 2 years to launch.

One of the comments makes a very valid point
"You don't play games Netflix style with Stadia. You still have to buy the whole game. You just don't need hardware. If it was Netflix style it would be much better."
I think that would make it much more interesting to people.

I'll be tuning in to watch at 6pm this evening.
upload_2019-8-19_9-38-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-19_9-36-13.png
    upload_2019-8-19_9-36-13.png
    65 KB · Views: 48
I've lost all interest in this TBH. They killed it when I also had to buy games on top of using the service.

I really don’t see for example many PC folk buying Cyberpunk on Stadia when they can have a local copy sitting there installed on the SSD and not relying on the foibles of your internet connection.

It doesn’t help that no one trusts google to stick with the project, no one wants to spend hundreds or thousands over a few years only to end up with no failsafe for your games.

Yer no interest from me either. I like having the physical disk so that no matter what I can still play it or trade it against something new. I don't like the idea that they could remove something that you've paid for and you have no control over it. (oddly though I do like Netflix)

As bad as it sounds, but until I see EA announce some titles for Stadia, I can’t see it doing well.

The power of having a Fifa or Madden available to play on there would make a massive difference.

I still like the concept of it though-probably more in line with my way of thinking of current gen technology and how this is the way forward. Also a sucker for new tech. Haha

It doesn’t help that no one trusts google to stick with the project, no one wants to spend hundreds or thousands over a few years only to end up with no failsafe for your games.

I think this is a major factor as well unfortunately.

Decent interview here.

I'm not interested in this at all. As someone who plays PC games I know mine are digital download and to an extent if Steam went bust then I could loose half my collection. Even console users with physical media, I wonder how many of the games you purchase without 'day one updates' actually work correctly? You've been got by the short and curlys either way. My worry with Google is they get 'bored' with things and then end life them. Sad if you've purchased the games already. I think it speaks volumes how little comments have been made on the forum about Stadia to it's probably lack of interest in the gaming community.

Google should practically “give the system away” with a stick, controller and included (decent) game for about £20 imho.

Then rake in the cash from what are effectively direct digital game sales to a potentially huge market.

I predict they will probably do that, or have a massive discount at some point. My feeling from what I've read in the Internet so far is that sales of this will be much lower than Google plan for. It's going to need some great deals on the hardware and software to encourage people to invest in it. And some reassurance that they're not going to abandon in it in a year.
If they did I think they'd probably refund people's purchases (at least partially) like other platforms have on the past (can't remember who it was).

I expect Google are banking on most people already having an Xbox/PS4 controller to use..? And people are forgetting that you can use this service for free next year, just that it's 1080p/60fps, so it will be literally paying for your games.

I guess its just hard getting people to buy into the concept, especially with the comments on here and the other places around the intrawebs. Also most gamers are old-skool and tribal (need to own games, pledging allegiance to either MS/Sony). I have no loyalty to either Microsoft or Sony even though I've used/bought digital games for both current gen consoles over the last few years.

The more I read, the more I seemingly fit into their target group - I want to play the latest next gen games, but ultimately not have to stump up £450/500 for the next gen consoles. I have 300mb fibre BB so should(?) get 4K/60 with no issues. Will never have to worry about updates/patches. Buy a game, play it straight away. Take a controller into work, load a game up at lunch on my Chrome browser...

As an example, I could see myself signing up for the Pro sub to play Cyberpunk 2077 in 4K, then go down to the Base tier for periods as well. You just miss out on the free games you'd get during that period. Games you'd buy would still be available to play on the Base tier.

I know given their history, people are right to question Google, I know I have in the past. But I just can't see them pulling out of something like this. Ultimately, it's up to Google to prove everyone wrong on this one. Might take until next year when Stadia Base arrives, but I think they are in it for the long haul.

I'd rather pay the money and have the full quality, not streaming quality that is dependant on my internet. So will always have a console and PC. It might be 4k 60 but it may also have lots of blocky artefacts and be on the lowest settings too.

I'm going to wait and see if its any good and if its worth doing on the external internet connections as internally (my house) i'd have the console or PC to play the game on. Its when i'm out and about it would be more useful. But then I have remote play...

Just can't see me bothering. Surely this is going to need crossplay with other systems though to stand a chance as you'll be looking at a small instal base to even play online games with.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom