NEWS: Google's Stadia to launch in November for £8.99 per month

shoestring25

If it was a subscription service like gamepass or psnow where you pay a monthly fee and can play any of the games they offer I would give it a look but im not paying for each game.

I dont trust google to not loose interest and shut the service down.

RMGEE

I'm still waiting for them to announce game prices, at the moment you can get The Division 2 on Xbox for less than £20, if Stadia launches with prices above £30 for older releases I think I'll be cancelling my founders edition.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
I'm still waiting for them to announce game prices, at the moment you can get The Division 2 on Xbox for less than £20, if Stadia launches with prices above £30 for older releases I think I'll be cancelling my founders edition.
Those Division 2 prices are sale prices no? What about the newer titles available?

E7737057-8285-4F42-B852-C8F15D428FE9.jpeg

Premiere Edition.

Last edited:

RMGEE

Sale or not, I just hope they don't launch with prices like £59.99

If it does then I'm out.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
The Division 2 (as you’ve seemingly used that as an example) on the PS store is on sale until 23rd October, then it goes back up to £59.99 (which is the current price on the Xbox store).

If at the point of Stadia launching the price is £60 on both PS and Xbox digital stores, I’m not sure why you’re expecting Stadia to immediately come in with prices cheaper if that’s the RRP everywhere else... o_O

Seems like you’re wanting an excuse to cancel, so you might be best off doing so now to save yourself disappointment.

RMGEE

The Division 2 (as you’ve seemingly used that as an example) on the PS store is on sale until 23rd October, then it goes back up to £59.99 (which is the current price on the Xbox store).

If at the point of Stadia launching the price is £60 on both PS and Xbox digital stores, I’m not sure why you’re expecting Stadia to immediately come in with prices cheaper if that’s the RRP everywhere else... o_O

Seems like you’re wanting an excuse to cancel, so you might be best off doing so now to save yourself disappointment.
I'm not looking for an excuse to cancel, far from it.

I just think that people (myself included) won't want to pay £60 for a game they can buy for less than half the price digitally or physically.

I really want Stadia to take off but when the only option you've got to buy a game is from Google and they're charging £60 I think it's going to struggle.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
I'm not looking for an excuse to cancel, far from it.

I just think that people (myself included) won't want to pay £60 for a game they can buy for less than half the price digitally or physically.

I really want Stadia to take off but when the only option you've got to buy a game is from Google and they're charging £60 I think it's going to struggle.
Buy the game for Xbox/PS4 for cheaper then?

Ultimately, if you want to play the game on Stadia then yes, you'll have to essentially buy the game from Google at the price set by them.

You honestly think Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be less than £55/60 at launch on any console though? Come on now.

Again, I put the blame on Google for this but people were seemingly expecting this revolution where you'd get cheaper games (or a Netflix-esque sub) and just get to play them in 4K on your TV/on any device and that isn't the case.

Stadia will have its storefront like Xbox and Playstation's offerings and charge accordingly. Sales will come and go and like Eddy says. And I expect having a Pro subscription will offer extra reductions on certain titles.

There will also be this from Ubisoft: Sites-uk_ubisoft-Site

But to expect Stadia to undercut prices at launch? It would certainly be a turn up for the books if they did, but as I said, think you're going to be disappointed.

Eddy555

Distinguished Member
They may undercut prices slightly at launch to try and build up some positivity towards the platform. If Google are gauging general opinion on the Internet towards Stadia correctly they should be trying to encourage people to the platform who are worried that Google will cancel the venture down the road. I don't see that happening for a good few years though.

In slightly related news Google are pulling their Daydream VR product (it's not in the Pixel 4) so I understand why people are nervous about Stadia long term support.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
They may undercut prices slightly at launch to try and build up some positivity towards the platform. If Google are gauging general opinion on the Internet towards Stadia correctly they should be trying to encourage people to the platform who are worried that Google will cancel the venture down the road. I don't see that happening for a good few years though.

In slightly related news Google are pulling their Daydream VR product (it's not in the Pixel 4) so I understand why people are nervous about Stadia long term support.
But that sets the precedent going forward. Say they cut every game on the platform 50% on launch as an example. Everyone buys the games, happy days. Then Google raise the prices in line with the other stores - cue mass "ah I'm not buying from Google/Stadia anymore". They honestly can't win.

If people are nervous about Stadia in any shape or form at this present moment in time then they should be sticking to their consoles or wait until the launch in 2020 once the Founders and Premiere Edition owners have had their fun.

MartinH32

RMGEE

I've been having a play with xcloud and to be honest I'm really disappointed, I know it's in beta but the lag is really bad. I seem to be getting a minimum of 50/15 over wifi which should cope OK.

I just hope google do a better job but I'm still hovering over the cancel button.

shoestring25

I would like to give all these streaming services a go to see how they compare ive used PlayStation now and that worked great for me completed a bunch of games using it

BMox81

Distinguished Member
The closer we get to launch the less positive the vibes are for Stadia. I'm still getting it, but I don't feel it'll last.
Ultimately, it's the same people repeating the same info over and over. Only way we're going to know whether it's any good is when it's in our hands.

Lets not forget everyone will have 14 days to see whether they like it or get a refund.

BigD18t

Distinguished Member
The founders edition is sold out everywhere now, there is a different version available with the white controller instead, Apparently dispatch will go in order of Pre-orders so not sure I'll get mine on launch as i didn't order until a few weeks ago.

RMGEE

Check your orders, it should now state a delivered by date.

Ordered mine 27/9, says it will be delivered by 27/11

RMGEE

Be nice if it's true. Holding off buying COD in the hope they announce it's coming to Stadia.

Trending threads

Latest news

Samsung applies for Q-Symphony trademark for TVs and soundbars
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Hi-Fi Products 2019 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Ed Selley
  • Published
McIntosh releases DA2 Digital Audio Module Upgrade Kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky TV offers cheaper Sky Q box with updated features