NEWS: Google unveils Pixel 5 and 4a 5G smartphones

scarty16

Pixel 5 or OnePlus 8 same price

Opinions from me
  • Pixel wins on Camera, OP8 wins on chipset
  • Pixel has better proprietary apps. OP8 has better interface.

Horses for courses

IronSoldier

I have a OP7T and honestly rather have a pixel again after I upgraded from my original pixel. The software finish from the OP is poor and camera/updates alongside core google features is just lacking. Shall look at getting the Pixel 5 in a couple months after the first batch of stock has gone and prices start to drop.

scarty16

Also, PIxel will get much more timely Android/security updates direct from Google, than any other Android phone.
I have an OP8 currently but have had Nexus 5, 6P, Pixel 1, & 2.

The OP8 security patches and updates come out like clockwork so far around the 15th of each month.

I do miss some of the Pixel features like the voice mail play back, and I would some of more obscure stuff as well, like the new DUO call waiting thing.

OP8 has WARP charging as well, the lights go dim when this thing starts sucking juice out of the mains.

Last edited:

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
I have an OP8 currently but have had Nexus 5, 6P, Pixel 1, & 2.

The OP8 security patches and updates come out like clockwork so far around the 15th of each month.

I do miss some of the Pixel features like the voice mail play back, and I would some of more obscure stuff as well, like the new DUO call waiting thing.

That's good the last one on the 7T is from August.

MahaRaja

Is it still too early to jump on the 5G bandwagon, or stick with 4G phone. Want Pixel 5 but it comes with 5G.

scarty16

you don't need to turn off 5g, it just works on 4g etc until you hit a sweet 5g area and then it turns into a unicorn and rainbows come out of its charging ports

dts197

Distinguished Member
you don't need to turn off 5g, it just works on 4g etc until you hit a sweet 5g area and then it turns into a unicorn and rainbows come out of its charging ports
Wouldn't the phone be searching for a 5G signal if you leave it switched on, adding battery drain in the process?

Either way, going forward the majority of phones being released will be 5G capable. So just because you can't get it in your area, no need to avoid buying one because there's no 4G only option.

scarty16

I live in a 4G area, top of the road 0.5 mile 5G starts. Phone OP8, battery lasts about 2 days generally, doesn't affect battery drain as far as I can see, and my chipset is the 865 with separate 5g modem, so it is not fully integrated and to maximise battery life.

jizzlejimbo

I have a OP7T and honestly rather have a pixel again after I upgraded from my original pixel. The software finish from the OP is poor and camera/updates alongside core google features is just lacking. Shall look at getting the Pixel 5 in a couple months after the first batch of stock has gone and prices start to drop.

I have a 7pro and i'm moving to a Pixel 5. I'll save this post and give you my honest thoughts. Main reasons for switching

- 7 Pro battery is knackered.
- The size, never really got used to the size and weight (had an s9 before).
- Software updates, I'm months behind and there are bugs they've just not fixed
- Oneplus camera is rubbish, it CAN take good photos but it's slow and inconsistent
- They're moving to a Samsung OneUI OS copy which I wasn't a fan of, I prefer to stick stock.

The phone will be a bit slower but i'll gain waterproofing, wireless charging and pixel updates.

It remains to be seen how much of a difference the SoC really makes as I don't play games. The CPU has the same cores just less of them and clocked a little lower.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Strange why the OP7 battery has had it already. My 3T's is still going strong.

As for photos, OnePlus hardware is capable, but their phone app doesn't do a good job. I'm running a modded Google Camera app on my 3T and the output is much better than what OnePlus' app produces.

IronSoldier

I have a 7pro and i'm moving to a Pixel 5. I'll save this post and give you my honest thoughts. Main reasons for switching

- 7 Pro battery is knackered.
- The size, never really got used to the size and weight (had an s9 before).
- Software updates, I'm months behind and there are bugs they've just not fixed
- Oneplus camera is rubbish, it CAN take good photos but it's slow and inconsistent
- They're moving to a Samsung OneUI OS copy which I wasn't a fan of, I prefer to stick stock.

The phone will be a bit slower but i'll gain waterproofing, wireless charging and pixel updates.

It remains to be seen how much of a difference the SoC really makes as I don't play games. The CPU has the same cores just less of them and clocked a little lower.
Oh gosh yes. The size/weight. Weirdly the first week with my 7t my hand had a slight ache and even now it's very top heavy and not natural to hold. Maybe my orignal pixel xl wash just that much lighter and well balanced... Will be interesting to see how the switch back goes as I have the exact same thoughts and certainly don't need a top of the line SoC either.

jizzlejimbo

Strange why the OP7 battery has had it already. My 3T's is still going strong.

As for photos, OnePlus hardware is capable, but their phone app doesn't do a good job. I'm running a modded Google Camera app on my 3T and the output is much better than what OnePlus' app produces.

Im blaming the fast charging. My other phones under similar usage have lasted fine, this one is always rapid charged and it is bloody fast/hot. Going to charge slow overnight from now on and rapid charge only if required.

jizzlejimbo

Oh gosh yes. The size/weight. Weirdly the first week with my 7t my hand had a slight ache and even now it's very top heavy and not natural to hold. Maybe my orignal pixel xl wash just that much lighter and well balanced... Will be interesting to see how the switch back goes as I have the exact same thoughts and certainly don't need a top of the line SoC either.

I still get wrist aches when laid in bed sideways on the phone. I broke my thumb when I was a kid and it never fully healed, I really struggle reaching the top! It's not bad, just these little niggles.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Im blaming the fast charging. My other phones under similar usage have lasted fine, this one is always rapid charged and it is bloody fast/hot. Going to charge slow overnight from now on and rapid charge only if required.

I hadn't considered that.

When I got my 3T, I also bought an official OnePlus normal charger (one of their pre-Dash chargers) and use that primarily to charge my 3T, so it has been slow charged far more than I've Dash charged it throughout the 3-4 years I've had it.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Is there a setting option on pixel phones to turn off fast charge like you can on Samsung phones? I always have it off.

Screenshot_20201004-160658_Device care.jpg

T3chMan89

Novice Member
I agree with you. I'm on the same page. I also have the OP7T, I chose it because this was as close to having the pixel as I was going to get without having the actual phone. Best believe though just as yourself in a couple to few months I'm getting the pixel 5. I'm happy they brought the rear finger print reader back as well

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers