NEWS: Google launches new Chromecast with Google TV

I would get one but it lacks AppleTV app which I have my films and actually watch quite a lot of subscription content (Ted Lasso ect). Oh and the fact the price in the UK vs US is ridiculous. But glad they have at last got their own proper stick and hopefully the market landscape improves as a result.

Missy importantly, will it support frame rate matching? Assuming each streaming app also supports it as well, which hasn't been the case on other platforms.

Missy importantly, will it support frame rate matching? Assuming each streaming app also supports it as well, which hasn't been the case on other platforms.
Yep, proper frame rate is what I am waiting to hear about, otherwise I'll stick with the TV's inbuilt apps.

Yep, proper frame rate is what I am waiting to hear about, otherwise I'll stick with the TV's inbuilt apps.
Doesn't look good right now -

Not releasing a Stadia edition of this was a complete faux Pas with Xbox, PlayStation and even Amazon releasing their upcoming gaming offerings imminently.

This is literally the new Stadia "console" and they had nine months to get ready for it and market the crap out of it to push it in the public consciousness.

A £60 console that runs a free gaming platform that you can play anywhere? It should have sold itself.

Would be good to know which apps / services available. If it has the Roku options great (Plex/NowTV/Apple/Disney/Netflix/Prime) etc etc

In my experience only Roku has the full set of what I would call the top 10 (for me).

Would be good to know which apps / services available. If it has the Roku options great (Plex/NowTV/Apple/Disney/Netflix/Prime) etc etc

In my experience only Roku has the full set of what I would call the top 10 (for me).

No Now TV or All 4. Will have iPlayer, ITV Hub and My5. Disney, Netflix and Prime will be on there as well.

I was about to pre-order to try it but not so sure now, if there is no Now TV or Apple+ then it will be a backward move from my Roku's. The offer with 6 months Netflix looks decent as I subscribe anyway, so £34 actual cost for hardware if you deduct Netflix cost. Glad it's finally got it's own remote and the UI looks pretty good from the limited amount I've seen.

Can you link to where you saw it would include iPlayer?

You know what, iPlayer isn’t on their promotional pic and was just going on the fact that it was there on the Shield TV. Looking at the iPlayer App on the Play store, it looks like Nvidia has exclusivity on it. Apologies there.

If that’s the case then that’s a major stumbling block. Can’t not have iPlayer if you’re doing a streaming device in the UK.

In fairness I did find one Daily Express article that mentioned it but this seems dubious given it's the Express.

I agree, you can't go without iPlayer. I don't understand why it is shield only given the rules around the BBC.

In fairness I did find one Daily Express article that mentioned it but this seems dubious given it's the Express.

I agree, you can't go without iPlayer. I don't understand why it is shield only given the rules around the BBC.

I think they (Nvidia) along with made their own exclusive app.

No mention of the new device although that’s probably to be expected given it only got announced yesterday. Bit worrying I have to say. Might cancel the pre order and wait it out.

Even if it doesn't have an iplayer app (would be shocked) it's still a chromecast so you could cast content from your tablet, phone pc ect like normal...

Even if it doesn't have an iplayer app (would be shocked) it's still a chromecast so you could cast content from your tablet, phone pc ect like normal...

Yeah but that literally defeats the point of this Chromecast and Google TV. If I wanted to cast iPlayer to the TV I'd still use my Ultra. The UI is what sells the device and not having the main catchup app in this country on there isn't a good look.

I've done a contact us form at the BBC asking about it so hopefully should hear something back soon.

As it stands though I'll probably cancel my pre-order. Disappointing.

I think they (Nvidia) along with made their own exclusive app.

No mention of the new device although that’s probably to be expected given it only got announced yesterday. Bit worrying I have to say. Might cancel the pre order and wait it out.
Recent Amazon devices are compatible: Amazon devices certified for BBC iPlayer | iPlayer help

So, I don't see why the Chromecast with Google TV couldn't be (even if it currently isn't in the list you linked to).

Recent Amazon devices are compatible: Amazon devices certified for BBC iPlayer | iPlayer help

So, I don't see why the Chromecast with Google TV couldn't be (even if it currently isn't in the list you linked to).

Amazon have a bigger market share of devices sold - wouldn't make any sense in BBC not having an App on the Fire TV's/Sticks.

But yes - I totally agree why there couldn't be an app, especially as there is an app, on Sony based Android TV's. Again, another exclusive deal made my Sony and Google I expect.

It is not officially on sale in UK, so why would a USA launched product have a UK only, iPlayer app?

It is not officially on sale in UK, so why would a USA launched product have a UK only, iPlayer app?

Because it’s available to pre-order and due to be released in 2 weeks? Because there is already an app and only way to get said app if you own a Shield TV or Android based Sony TV’s?

Anyway..... I received the following from the BBC:

“Thanks for getting in touch with BBC iPlayer support.

At the moment, I can confirm that we are aware of the demands for the BBC iPlayer app to be made available on Google TV straightaway on release.

Unfortunately, I can't confirm if it will be available or not, but our teams are looking into this.

Our service is built on audience feedback, so we really appreciate you getting in touch to share your point of view with us. We have a BBC iPlayer Feedback Report which is where we record the feedback sent by people such as yourself, and it's read each morning by senior management within BBC iPlayer. I've added your comments to this report - do rest assured that it will be read by senior management.

If we can help with anything else, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.”

Seems like a generic response to me so won’t hold out too much hope tbh.

Because it’s available to pre-order and due to be released in 2 weeks? Because there is already an app and only way to get said app if you own a Shield TV or Android based Sony TV’s?

Anyway..... I received the following from the BBC:

“Thanks for getting in touch with BBC iPlayer support.

At the moment, I can confirm that we are aware of the demands for the BBC iPlayer app to be made available on Google TV straightaway on release.

Unfortunately, I can't confirm if it will be available or not, but our teams are looking into this.

Our service is built on audience feedback, so we really appreciate you getting in touch to share your point of view with us. We have a BBC iPlayer Feedback Report which is where we record the feedback sent by people such as yourself, and it's read each morning by senior management within BBC iPlayer. I've added your comments to this report - do rest assured that it will be read by senior management.

If we can help with anything else, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.”

Seems like a generic response to me so won’t hold out too much hope tbh.

Still not available to use now in UK and IPlayer is for UK use only. You may pre order Goggle Chromecast, but it is not yet launched in UK .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom