News from the What Hi-Fi Show

scarty16

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Come on spill the beans what is the news????

Connections, start dates, numbers of channels, cost etc etc etc

Waiting is not nice.

Camera phones are the way forward, nothing better than a bit of consumer espionage!!

bog all.

Sky HD was a disappointment. simple demo loop possibly running off a PC, even though the guy on the outside said it was being broadcast from sky (if so, you lot get your scanners out!)

Xbox 360 was a let down for me. Sharp graphics but nothing amazing. there are two demo pods in the Stuff area, and you can play Kameo, Call of Duty 2 and King Kong.

Sony's demo of the qualia 004 with a bluray player was outstanding though. On a 134" screen the image was breathtaking. Showed two clips - stealth trailer and a clip of spiderman 2. The latter gave me goosebumps.

The guy (Eric) also pointed out that while the qualia has its firmware updatable to support 1080p (and the ruby will do 1080p out of the box), the demo was playing from a bluray recorder outputting 1080i. I'm assuming therefore that the qualia was doing the deinterlacing.

Seriously, I could not believe how good it was.

Nothing much else there

Also visited the show today. Sky HD demo was just that - a demo. Guy at entrance admitted that it was running off tape! Unable to get a look at the box, as they were sunk into the walls of the demo area, securely fixed behind a clear plastic fascia. Only the front was visible. Asked about pricing - no news as yet.

Best thing at show I think was Sim2 demo. This was a 3 Chip DLP projector which had to be seen to be believed. Cost mind you was £13k! Quality was staggering on HD material, and still bloody fantastic on DVD. Sony was good, but the Sim2 was in a different league.

HeweyBoy101 said:
Best thing at show I think was Sim2 demo. This was a 3 Chip DLP projector which had to be seen to be believed. Cost mind you was £13k!
The model number is C3X: What HiFi were using one in their "This is High Def" presentation. Quite wonderful quality and extremely desirable, if maybe just a tad on the big and powerful side for most home-cinema uses? I still want one, though.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

I went today. The Qualia 004 was the star of the show, of course. Maintained quality and impact on the biggest screen I've seen outside a cinema. Sadly, the Ruby PJ was just a space model. Next time..... No word of when SXRD RPTV might be coming over here, though.

The SIM2 demo was very good, but they wouldn't let people get anywhere near the (admittedly very large) screen. I nearly walked out because of all the BS in the introduction, but was rewarded by one of the most amazing pieces of golfing footage ever captured.

I thought the Fujitsu demos were very rewarding. I've never seen plasma look that good before, and everybody throughout the show seemed to be using them ( and PMC speakers). The Fujitsu 1080p LCD projector looked pretty good, too. And the audio system. Everything just worked in there.

Nick

welwynnick said:
The Fujitsu 1080p LCD projector looked pretty good, too. And the audio system. Everything just worked in there.
Yes, it was impressive, wasn't it? Quite apart from the quality of the image, I rather warmed to to the no-nonsense, brick-like boxy styling: a workhorse rather than a coffee-table display thing. The staff were on the ball too: I asked about throw distances and lens shift parameters and they had the relevant pages from the manual already printed out for enquirers.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

They really knew what they were doing at Fujitsu. I've never seen plasmas look so good. I went back several times.

Nick

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom