NEWS: First HDR10+ titles from Warner Bros and Universal

Discussion in '4K Ultra HD Blu-rays' started by Phil Hinton, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Andy Bassett

Andy Bassett
      Standard Member Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +127
    2. IronSoldier

IronSoldier

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +216
      I would update the images as at the moment they suggest digital code included. Right now there is no confirmation of this. Godzilla is a WB title and given the demise of UV haven't got anything setup yet - Shazam releasing in August has no digital code as an example.

(Sore spot for me)

As to the HDR10+... If only I had a TV that supported it. Will be sticking to DV for the foreseeable future. But what happens if your TV/Player supports both DV/HDR10+? Do you get to pick? :confused:

3. Captain Ron

Captain Ron

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,019
      Who will be first you market with an HDR10+ Dolby Vision transcoder box I wonder. Dolby Vision on HDR10+ only TV's and HDR10+ on Dolby Vision only TV's.

4. Goodmane

Goodmane

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +152
      I'm not sure exactly what you mean but I don't think it will be possible unless Dolby Vision is cracked, as it is supposed to be a completely locked down system that is adjusted for each approved / licensed display.

You might be interested in the upcoming MadVR Envy device which can -as far as I can make out - tone map regular HDR so that it looks very good for your display even if your display doesn't have HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. AFAIK the output is something like real-time conversion to HDR10+ and Dolby Vision but also works with lower brightness devices like projectors. It's going to be expensive though, and I'm not sure I know exactly how it works, other than to say its got a lot of enthusiasts excited.

5. PascalP

PascalP

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +72
      Exactly this is what I would like to know as well

6. youngsyp

youngsyp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,701
      The Lumagen Radiance Pro line has had this capability, including dynamic tone mapping, for a little while now and in effect will give better results than DV as it's customised precisely for your display, after a calibration.
      They'll also do HLG to HDR10, with dynamic tone mapping.

Paul

7. BenRC

BenRC

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +625
      Should I be concerned having just spent my money on a Samsung hdr10 set?

8. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,447
      Concerned? No, if anything this is surely positive news. If you have a TV that only does HDR10+ or only does Dolby Vision, it'll be great if this trend continues where both formats are catered for on new titles.

This whole format war does my tit in. I have a Panasonic FZ802B now, which does HDR10+. I previously had an LG C8 which did Dolby Vision.

I can watch Alien with dynamic meta-data HDR10+ on my FZ802B, but couldn't do that on my previous C8. The same goes for my Saving Private Ryan disc, which is Dolby Vision, I can't benefit from dynamic meta-data because my FZ802B does not support DV, but I could previously on the C8

Ultimately we as consumers end up stuck with static meta-data HDR10 layer only on opposing titles, unless of course you buy a 2019 Panasonic or Phillips and just adopt both formats.

I much more like the news in this article, where content creators can adopt both to ensure everyone gets the best viewing experience possible.

9. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      IMG_20190718_202824.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    10. MagnumXL

MagnumXL

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +68
      Proprietary systems need to end and universal standards employed. Dolby is one of the worst offenders, actively trying to wipe out competition by blocking upmixers as part of their license, etc. I'd rather see DTS:X Pro and HDR10+ win in the long run for that reason. DTS supports Auro-3D layouts and Atmos layouts. Dolby wants them both to die so they can have a monopoly. Dolby can shove it as far as I'm concerned.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    11. stevebk

stevebk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +515
    12. IntelliVolume

IntelliVolume

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +34
      Indeed -- that's a very good question (regarding if a display supports both dynamic formats)...how WOULD that work, if one gets to choose a format to play the disc back in?

As for me, I am looking forward to taking advantage of HDR10+ at some point, being that my Samsung NU8000 and Cambridge Audio 4K Blu-ray Disc player both support it. I wanted to see the Godzilla sequel in theaters, as I liked the first one and own it on regular Blu-ray, so it may be my first purchase of a disc with HDR10+ (if I deem it worthy enough to be purchased).

13. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,933
      I disagree a little. DV (and HDR10+) should have the advantage of having been able to see into the future and so the content poses no surprises, as for disc and streaming the whole stream has been pre-processed. Both MadVR's and Lumagen's dynamic tone mapping solutions have corner cases where there are sub-optimal mapping decisions made, because the content frame sequences trip up the algorithms that are trying to work out what map to use. Those decisions can result in blown highlights, murky scenes or fluctuating scene brightness levels. More often than not the decisions taken are solid, but there can be exceptions.

Both outfits are working to improve these things (new Lumagen FW imminent, also witness the large amounts of testing going on in the MadVR thread over at AVS).

Of course, that advantage depends on the metadata being well authored - HDR10 has been a disaster in this respect, but the DV process is very different, and HDR10+ also quite different. Plus you need to be able to access it, which is a significant barrier for DV as DV won't license video processors or projectors yet (but access should be possible for anyone wanting to implement HDR10+).

14. SunnyIntervals

SunnyIntervals

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +377
      Dolby are a business, just trying to sell their product. I agree that all TV's and Amps should support as many formats as possible, but competition pushes everything forwards, if there was just one "thing" it would get stale pretty quickly without the motivation to develop and push ahead of rivals.

15. MagnumXL

MagnumXL

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +68
      I don't mind them selling their product, but I do mind anti-competition moves like ordering all the AVR makers that use their Dolby decoding (all of them) to stop allowing other upmixers to be used with their signals. Not allowing it with Atmos itself is one thing, but to say after all these decades, you cannot apply Neural X or Auromatic to a movie from the 1990s in Dolby Digital? It's ridiculous and a step too far, IMO.