NEWS: Epson announces two new 4K laser projectors

Oh lord, a 3rd new Epson laser projector thread!

Oh lord, a 3rd new Epson laser projector thread!
Maybe because those were mostly speculation posts prior to release this one is the “Official” thread.

Maybe because those were mostly speculation posts prior to release this one is the “Official” thread.
Then maybe admin can stop the posts on the other 2 now 🤔.

This is what we have been waiting for. Finally a successor to my old time favorite the LS10000. Now if we could just find out what the real contrast figures are...

You can never have too many threads with the same people saying the same things. Look at the processor section there's probably six for a certain brand :D

Last edited:
This is what we have been waiting for. Finally a successor to my old time favorite the LS10000. Now if we could just find out what the real contrast figures are...
I don’t think it need to be that impressive, tests done of the Z1 showed native contrast figures of 8K:1 yet it’s laser dimming made blacks looked as good as the N9.

I reckon at the very least these will look better than the 9400.

I don’t think it need to be that impressive, tests done of the Z1 showed native contrast figures of 8K:1 yet it’s laser dimming made blacks looked as good as the N9.*

*If you're not bothered by some of the artefacts that laser dimming implementations can introduce.
Not everyone has the same tolerance of the image abuse that needs to happen to use laser dimming for these kind of purposes.

I don’t think it need to be that impressive, tests done of the Z1 showed native contrast figures of 8K:1 yet it’s laser dimming made blacks looked as good as the N9.

Its not only about fade to black. I used to own the LS10K and going from that to the X7500 to X9500 was a huge step up in every way. I also didn't buy the Z1 because I wasn't happy with the contrast performance. I had the Z1 in for testing when I had the X9500.
Having said all that if these new Epson have at least as good native contrast as the LS10K they are great value and well worth considering as an alternative to the new laser JVC line IMO.
I always liked Epson very much, my only gripe was native contrast but in their own league they are excellent and nothing beats them in terms of bang for buck especially now that these 4K laser.

Its not only about fade to black. I used to own the LS10K and going from that to the X7500 to X9500 was a huge step up in every way. I also didn't buy the Z1 because I wasn't happy with the contrast performance. I had the Z1 in for testing when I had the X9500.
Having said all that if these new Epson have at least as good native contrast as the LS10K they are great value and well worth considering as an alternative to the new laser JVC line IMO.
I always liked Epson very much, my only gripe was native contrast but in their own league they are excellent and nothing beats them in terms of bang for buck especially now that these 4K laser.
The new projectors use transmissive LCD panels not reflecting as the LS10000 and LS10500 used.
I guess the native panel contrast vill be more similar to the TW9400 or close to half of what was achieved with the reflecting setup.

The new projectors use transmissive LCD panels not reflecting as the LS10000 and LS10500 used.
I guess the native panel contrast vill be more similar to the TW9400 or close to half of what was achieved with the reflecting setup.
this is going to throw a lot of folks i think.. with the naming thinking these follow in the old epsons lasers footsteps when they dont. they are really laser version of 9400.. but thats good too.. for folk with those gives them something to step upto :)

News news news new Epson projectors:D

Anybody know if the new models support 3D ?

well if that's the case, the pricing reflects it well. I recently had a 9400 and a 9300 and they were both great in their own league, I assume the contrast on the new ones will be improved a little but when a manufacturer only discloses dynamic contrast ratio one can be sure they will not be JVC beating beasts. I am betting on real contrast 20K:1 or similar.

^I don’t expect it to be this high to be honest, maybe 7K:1 but dynamic control should be good, hopefully the laser dimming is well controlled.

^I don’t expect it to be this high to be honest, maybe 7K:1 but dynamic control should be good, hopefully the laser dimming is well controlled.
My tw9300 was 4500:1, I remember being a little disappointed coming from a Sony hw65.

My tw9300 was 4500:1, I remember being a little disappointed coming from a Sony hw65.
What was the NC on the HW65, I had the 45 but felt the 9400 was slightly better. Shadow detail was definitely better on the Epson.

What was the NC on the HW65, I had the 45 but felt the 9400 was slightly better. Shadow detail was definitely better on the Epson.
I think one time it was close to 6000:1 maybe a tad less.

I think one time it was close to 6000:1 maybe a tad less.
I think that’s what the HW45 was tested at too, maybe the 65 was slightly more?

I think that’s what the HW45 was tested at too, maybe the 65 was slightly more?
It had slightly better blacks for sure than the hw40 I had previously, where does the time go!.

Stating the blinkin’ obvious, the laser should have great fade to black, fast start up and power down, and no lamp fade issues, especially if you calibrate it.

well if that's the case, the pricing reflects it well. I recently had a 9400 and a 9300 and they were both great in their own league, I assume the contrast on the new ones will be improved a little but when a manufacturer only discloses dynamic contrast ratio one can be sure they will not be JVC beating beasts. I am betting on real contrast 20K:1 or similar.
Will be no-where near. The LS10000 only got there because of reflective panels (which got it to around 12K) and then the iris, which got it to around 20K (closer to 30K if you managed to be at the right end of the zoom lens). I think numbers have already surfaced for native at around 5000:1 on the LS12000, and a fair bit less on the LS11000 for some reason.

As far as I'm aware these new LS units don't have an adjustable iris, so the native contrast will potentially be a step down vs some of the current Epson units (I think). Of course, has laser dimming. If they've done a good job on that and you get on with it then that will be useful I'm sure.

I cant understand the LS11000 unless you must have a white projector, for a few hundred pounds more the LS12000 looks the better deal. They should have had just had the LS12000 in black or white.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom