NEWS: Eleven Sports Break England's 3pm TV Football Ban

maverick177uk

Great news, it’s from the 1960s that says it all, most premier league games aren’t even played at these times and I doubt it would affect lower leagues. Most people I know watch 3pm games by other means, the sooner clubs allow us to pay for all their games at anytime the better.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Got excited when I saw the title, shame it's not 3pm Premiership games.

It's time this outdated ban was lifted.

John

Posted this in 2015, more valid now than ever as the number of clubs will have gone up

The vast majority of Professional Football in England is played at 3pm on a Saturday. There is life outside the Premier League. Not sure if all 98 are Full Time Pros, but I would guess at least 90 of those 98 are. So, imo, if protecting those clubs from extinction means that there are no televised games at 3pm on a Sat, so be it. Their only income is from their gate receipts and so should be protected. I would go as far to say that there should be no televised games between 2 & 6 PM on a Sat. The EPL get enough grief from money not filtering down, without been the executioner of the domestic game in this country as we know it.

To protect the Premier League , they don't do matches on a PPV basis. That would be commercial suicide. The collective agreement works because everyone gets a decent cut . Unlike Spain where Real & Barca carve up their own TV rights (at least they did, not sure if that's still the case.)

maverick177uk

Do you think that say a supporter of Oldham won’t go because there is United game on tv at the same time as his own club? I don’t think this the case, away games for fans in premier league are nigh on impossible to get tickets for certainly at City, so why can’t those fans who can’t watch them at the stadium be able to do it via the web on the clubs website or tv channel? When another country can watch every game live it takes the piss that domestic fans can’t. If City aren’t home I don’t go watch Oldham I watch via the internet, as many other fans of other teams do.

John

A supporter of Oldham, no. A future supporter of Oldham, probably

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
We simply have to protect the 3pm slot. You only have to look at the swell of attendances at non league teams when the international break is on.

I know plenty of people who go to support local non league teams when City aren’t playing at the same time and I know that will happen up and down the country at league clubs too.

These clubs rely on this additional Income and we shouldn’t sacrifice this valuable time of 3pm on a Saturday just to satisfy the Internet viewers.

alan280170

Distinguished Member
We simply have to protect the 3pm slot. You only have to look at the swell of attendances at non league teams when the international break is on.

I know plenty of people who go to support local non league teams when City aren’t playing at the same time and I know that will happen up and down the country at league clubs too.

These clubs rely on this additional Income and we shouldn’t sacrifice this valuable time of 3pm on a Saturday just to satisfy the Internet viewers.

I know a bunch of folks that now support Salford City, rather than watch Manu, can’t blame them, tenner entry, good beer and a great laugh.

maverick177uk

I know a bunch of folks that now support Salford City, rather than watch Manu, can’t blame them, tenner entry, good beer and a great laugh.
Is that because they see the Glazers and the rip off prices as no longer their club, like the break away FCUnited did? I’m not saying united are the only ones by the way that are losing their core supporters.

alan280170

Distinguished Member
Is that because they see the Glazers and the rip off prices as no longer their club, like the break away FCUnited did? I’m not saying united are the only ones by the way that are losing their core supporters.
Yeah some of it is price, some a just jaded by the astronomical sums that are spent on players/wages etc. Also you can walk round the pitch at Salford, get a pint of ale not some pish lager and a pie.