NEWS: Dolby Atmos Music comes to Tidal streaming service

Jaytee23

Novice Member
Great idea to have Dolby Atmos Music, but having it played back on phones and Mono speakers such as the Echo Studio seem ridiculous when there millions on Dolby Atmos setups with AVR and Sound bars. please Dolby etc make it simple and not so expensive.

Last edited:

xxGBHxx

Completely agree.

Still can't get my head around Atmos on a phone/single speaker or why you'd want it. If you're using the phone as a source device to feed into a speaker system then that's something else, but much like 4k on a 6inch screen playing Atmos through a phones speaker just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

G

Jokerr

My pants are wet

Jokerr

Dolby Atmos support is even more limited but can be found and enjoyed on the following devices:
  • iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone Pro Max
  • iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPad Pro 11‑inch and iPad Pro 12.9‑inch (3rd generation)
  • All Mac models introduced in 2018 or later

ShineyAds

Novice Member
Completely agree.

Still can't get my head around Atmos on a phone/single speaker or why you'd want it. If you're using the phone as a source device to feed into a speaker system then that's something else, but much like 4k on a 6inch screen playing Atmos through a phones speaker just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

G
I'd imagine it's aimed at people using headphones, not so much the phone speaker.
I've listened to a few of the Dolby Atmos tracks on Tidal (there aren't many) with my Sony WH-1000XM3 and was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. Definitely a better soundscape than without it, but nothing worth shouting about. I was more impressed with some of the 360 Reality tracks on Tidal, but maybe they had picked better songs more suited to a larger soundscape.

ShineyAds

Novice Member
Also seems a bit silly that it doesn't yet work with a device like the nVidia Shield from launch, which is more than capable of handling Dolby Atmos - maybe it's just a matter of time.

dabl

...I've listened to a few of the Dolby Atmos tracks on Tidal (there aren't many) with my Sony WH-1000XM3...
Cool!

Might you be able to please post the hardware you're using (phone make/model etc) and version of the Tidal app you're running?

I'm hoping the Tidal phone APK that supports Atmos is made available somewhere like apkmirror and that it could be sideloaded on the Shield ala the Xcloud app.

Agree completely that Atmos on the supported devices so far makes zero sense since that means stereo headphones but a device like the Shield that can bitstream makes all the sense in the world.

On the other hand if the app doesn't support bitstream it will be useless.

Jaytee23

Novice Member
I had a Samsung Galaxy S8 which was able to support Dolby Atmos music from Tidal, so I took the offer from Tidal, 5 months for £5 to try it out. The Tidal app says it was playing Dolby Atmos with the Dolby Atmos playlist, its sounded more spacious from what i heard. About 4 hours later my Galaxy S8 died, it wont turn on and will not charge. i don't know if the Tidal app is related to this. I downloaded the Tidal app to an iPhone 11, playing the Dolby Atmos Playlist only shows as HiFi and not Dolby Atmos. Playing the Sony 360 shows as 360 and sounds spacious. ultimately i would like to hear Dolby Atmos Music through my AVR.

ShineyAds

Novice Member
Cool!

Might you be able to please post the hardware you're using (phone make/model etc) and version of the Tidal app you're running?

I'm hoping the Tidal phone APK that supports Atmos is made available somewhere like apkmirror and that it could be sideloaded on the Shield ala the Xcloud app.

Agree completely that Atmos on the supported devices so far makes zero sense since that means stereo headphones but a device like the Shield that can bitstream makes all the sense in the world.

On the other hand if the app doesn't support bitstream it will be useless.
Sorry, only just seen this as it was sent to my spam folder! I was using a Huawei P30 Pro with the latest Tidal app from the Play store.

Top Bottom