NEWS: Disney to close doors on Vault when Disney+ opens

Discussion in 'Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services' started by Phil Hinton, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Andy Bassett

Andy Bassett
      Standard Member Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +60
    2. lgans316

lgans316
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,528
      Hate to say this but wishing nothing but bad luck to Disney+. A corporation that once I loved, has now succumbed to ruthlessness, arrogance and greed.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Angry Angry x 1
      • List
    3. cmdrmarc

cmdrmarc

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +989
      Looking past quite a horrible sentiment, what are you basing this on? Surely it's a good thing that they're no longer artificially inflating prices by limiting their availability, and making them available via a system that clearly everyone wants to use?

4. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,044
      I haven’t seen any of the Marvel films, I was so far behind 10 films ago, I didn’t bother, now 20 odd films behind and everyone banging on how good they are, if they are all available from this streaming service, and it’s a monthly sub, they will have me for at least a month.
      Don’t like the idea of multiple subs, they will all loose out from me as I can’t afford to have them all, so will have to start having one every other month and possibly binning Amazon Prime as it’s a yearly sub.
      I originally decided (annoyed by multiple subs) I will never subscribe to this when I first heard about it, but my kids love the Disney animations, and we currently watch them on Now tv. I recently bought the Lion King on UHD and the difference in picture quality was astounding. If this service also offers 4K/HDR, I’ll be keen to watch a lot of its content and Now tv (720P and still waiting for 1080P) will slide.
      As for the Vault, can only be good, the standard Blu ray prices are ridiculous.

5. lgans316

lgans316
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,528
      Criticism of The Walt Disney Company - Wikipedia

6. BMox81

BMox81

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,442
      Ignore him, he's always annoyed at Disney not giving him IMAX AR in his 4K discs or crappy Atmos audio tracks.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Sad Sad x 1
      • List
    7. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,671
      Same here. I’ve watched Iron Man 1, half of Iron Man 2. That’s it. So yeah, Disney+ has me interested in the MCU alone. All I can ask for is that the U.K. service is the same as the US.

I’ll keep Prime mainly for shopping, and Netflix. I have time and money for one more and that’s it. Disney+ sounds great but the Sky OD movies I think when I’m done with the MCU I dot see much need in keeping the subscription up. And that’s a problem for every Tom, Dick and Harry who wants to start a streaming service. Constant new and exclusive content is a must.

8. Nilanth

Nilanth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +21
      As much as I hate having multiple subscriptions...i am going to have to sign up for Disney+ purely for my 4 year old's sake. Why can't there be a one platform with prime, netflix, disney whatever content. Surely it must be possible....

• Like Like x 1
      • Wow Wow x 1
      • Sad Sad x 1
      • List
    9. Buckster666

Buckster666

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +492
      Song of the South will be the only film to remain in the vault

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    10. Kingchin

Kingchin

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +89
      Because it's called competition and it's been like that for thousands of years since humans have been alive :smashin: Just same as Nintendo not putting their world famous Mario, Legend Of Zelda ips on rival Sony, Microsoft consoles. Disney created Mickey Mouse, Lion King etc and bought Marvel creating the Marvel film universe, recently bought Twenty Century Fox film rights. Why shouldn't they be allowed to have they're own streaming service with the films, cartoons they created and own the rights too :thumbsup:

11. Nilanth

Nilanth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +21
      I hear what you are saying but games were limited by physical media. Eg cartridges versus CD. I'm not saying there should not be competition. What i mean is all the steaming subscriptions on one platform. Like how different estate agents advertise on zoopla. Probably me being idealistic as always.

12. smackos

smackos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +682
      We kind of are hitting that point now though finally. When you look at what something like the Apple tv allows you to subscribe to in the UK, it doesn't leave much out as far as streaming goes at all here. The only one I can really think of is probably UK TV Play.

Other than that it's got..
      Netflix
      Amazon Prime
      Now Tv
      Iplayer
      Itv Player/Hub
      All4
      My5
      Disney Life
      BT Sport
      Eurosport
      Mubi
      Shudder

13. Kingchin

Kingchin

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +89
      Super Mario Odyssey, Legend Of Zelda Breath Of The Wild could easily be ported to the Xbox One, PS4 put on disc & digital download. You're missing the point that companies don't want their intellectual property on rival competitors platforms as that devalues the product.

You're never going to get all the major film/tv show streaming platforms - Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney+, Apple iTunes all on one platform with one monthly subscription fee. They would never agree to it, plus never settle on who gets what percentage of the subscription fee etc.

And just hypothetically imagine it did happen a new streaming platform with them all in it. Hardly anyone would buy it as it would be very expensive probably just as much as if you payed for them individually. Plus you would get the moaning oh i pay for them all but i don't even watch Disney stuff or Amazon Prime shows!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    14. Kingchin

Kingchin

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +89
      I think he means Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney+ all bundled together where you would then just pay one monthly subscription for them all together rather a different subscription for each of the respective individual streaming platforms.

In any case even if the different companies did come together create something like that you would still be paying roughly the same price overall as if you just payed for each of them individually as people presently do. Sounds good in theory but when you think rationaly you wouldn't be any better saving wise than currently :smashin:

15. smackos

smackos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +682
      Not only that, but you'd be basically be going back to the Sky TV model. Paying for a lot of channels, but only actually subscribing because of a select few. In a way that is what Amazon's "channels" is, pay within for individual subscriptions and watch through the one App.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    16. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +769
      Probably going to find a few new subscription models coming through in the next few years.

I very much avoiding certain titles at the moment on Netflix and Apple TV and disk to wait and see what they will do with 4K. I have no problem setting up another subscription. It is their product, not mine, and if I want it, I buy it.

17. Winnie1221

Winnie1221

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +213
      As well as the obvious content, I'll be waiting to see what Video and Audio quality is available before I would consider subscribing.

I much prefer buying a 4K UHD as you know you are getting the best picture/sound mix, I do subscribe to Netflix, due to the Dolby Vision and Atmos, yes not the same quality as a 4K UHD but the best you can watch some of their excellent TV shows. If Disney+ can match Netfilx's Visuals/Audio and new content quality then i'd absolutely consider subscribing.

18. meagabyte

meagabyte

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +167
      will Disney+ be replacing Disney life?
      I have only just found out about Disney life (thanks to a post above) and if this contains their whole library of cartoon episodes then i might give it a bash. I really want to re-watch ducktails and tailspin lol

19. meagabyte

meagabyte

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +167
      have just noticed that Disney Life seems to be aimed more at the mobile and portable device market. So without an AppleTv im not sure how i would get this to stream on my TV.
      I wonder what app Disney+ will bring to the game and how it will flow compared to the user friendly interface of Netflix.

20. flipfella

flipfella

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +73
      As long as subscriptions stay with monthly terms and content is not timed at least you can swap subscriptions to enjoy all the content without paying everyone each month. I suppose you can only watch so many hours per month. But it’s a new way of thinking as we are all used to having access to everything at the same time.

21. Cord Cutter

Cord Cutter
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,620
      Yes it will replace Disney Life when it eventually launches over here.

They will be putting the app on as many devices as possible. XBOX One has already also been confirmed. They will be showing off the app at an investors event early next month.

22. MikeTheBike2010

MikeTheBike2010

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +152
      Thank you for the article. I seem to remember that the idea of “the vault” actually pre dates home media as in my childhood Classic Disney films (promoted by the same clips every BH Monday on “Disney Time”) would do the rounds at the cinema roughly every 7 years. Actually this worked pretty well as it meant I was taken to see Snow White and Jungle book at the flicks even though one was already decades old and the other has already been around for a while.

Sadly if you missed it that was it hence I’ve still never seen Bambi!

Oh and as a brief aside, I’ve never considered any format (VHS, DVD etc) to have finally become mainstream until both Star Wars and Disney films were available on it - just my little way of keeping track.

23. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +41
    24. Nobbler

Nobbler
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,904
      Day 1 trial sub for me. My only gripe is that the Disney Diamond edition Blu's were superb in their day. Lenticular slips, 3 D slips, dozens of extra's...none of that will be replicated on Disney +.
      Looks like I'll be holding onto my collection of Disney Blu's (I have every one released in the UK and most from the US as well) mainly for the extra features.

25. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763
      thing is with this service wont it all be stuff we've already seen or are disney going to making disney + specific content?.

with netflix alot of the appeal for me is new stuff that appears for the first time on netflix

26. Cord Cutter

Cord Cutter
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,620
      Like Netflix, Disney plans to spend billions on new and original content for the service

27. GOM

GOM
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +39
    28. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +769
      ^^^^^^^
      Special place in hell for wh thought that up.....

And me for going on the ride after being told it was OK, then telling some people in the queue to go on that it was great......