NEWS: Disney to close Blue Sky Studios

Evinger

A great shame, but with Disney being Disney, no surprise.
Ice Age itself I feel has run its course. However, Scrat Forever! We definitely need more Scrat. Who isn't chasing their own version of his acorn in some way or another? Scrat speaks to my inner small-furry-animal soul.

Jeff254

They could have sold it off.. Or better yet simply absorbed the Studio

LicensedTaximan

There is the possibility that Disney will retain some of the employees and they will be absorbed into other aspects of the company including animation or maybe special effects or CGI. I suppose there will be the inevitability of job losses which is always sad, but unfortunately regardless of the present economic situation due to Covid this tends to happen in business all the time anyway. As with "Evinger", I agree that the "Ice Age" series of films (now any "series" of films are referred to as a franchise :rolleyes:) has run its course.

As far as selling the studio off, who to? Most other studios who make this type of entertainment already have their offshoots. But once again some of those animation artists may well end up being employed by the likes of Sony animation if that's still operational etc, etc.

LicensedTaximan

Is anybody actually mourning this? The Ice Age films were generally rubbish, especially the last few. The last semi-decent one of theirs was Epic in 2013.
As far as the "Ice Age" films are concerned I thought the earlier ones were better than the later ones. But hey ho we're all entitled to our opinions. 🤔 ;)

Evinger

Is anybody actually mourning this? The Ice Age films were generally rubbish, especially the last few. The last semi-decent one of theirs was Epic in 2013.
Personally, I really enjoyed the first two. The next two were OK, last one I could have done without. If they had stopped at 3 that would have been fine.

Ftorek

Classic corpo move - buy the competition, suck out all the goodies and discard the remains.... :)

Anyhow - not sure if Blue Sky were much of a competition to Disney (due to the sheer size of the latter), and if they wouldn't wound down by themselves anyhow (due to economic downturn).

Cheers
f.

LicensedTaximan

No. That's why they are getting rid of it.
Whilst Disney doesn't need Blue Sky as a company, as I said above, they will probably take on some of their personnel and integrate them into some of their other production departments.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Whilst Disney doesn't need Blue Sky as a company, as I said above, they will probably take on some of their personnel and integrate them into some of their other production departments.

Yeah I hope so. It's never pleasant to consider people losing their jobs especially in these times. Disney itself is still going strong though, with DA, Pixar and other animated projects for Marvel and Star Wars, so I imagine they will need good animators more than ever.

LicensedTaximan

Yeah I hope so. It's never pleasant to consider people losing their jobs especially in these times. Disney itself is still going strong though, with DA, Pixar and other animated projects for Marvel and Star Wars, so I imagine they will need good animators more than ever.
Let's face it Disney is probably the biggest film studio in the World at present what with all of their acquisitions. Disney Studios itself, 20th Century Fox, Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, ILM, and in the past Miramax (the less said about that one the better) Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Buena Vista Releasing. Theme parks in the USA and around the globe, Disney TV, Disney Plus, ABC TV, and a tie up with National Geographic and heaven knows who and what else. Plus stuff I wouldn't even know about or interests that i've forgotten about. Bloody massive.

Evinger

Let's face it Disney is probably the biggest film studio in the World at present what with all of their acquisitions. Disney Studios itself, 20th Century Fox, Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, ILM, and in the past Miramax (the less said about that one the better) Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Buena Vista Releasing. Theme parks in the USA and around the globe, Disney TV, Disney Plus, ABC TV, and a tie up with National Geographic and heaven knows who and what else. Plus stuff I wouldn't even know about or interests that i've forgotten about. Bloody massive.
I do (And yet at the same time, don't) find it amazing that Disney contolling all this isn't worrysome to the FTC. Disney have so much clout now, and I am sure there have been some lovely "donations" to various parties, which would stop if they were blocked in any of their aquisitions. "The Mouse that Roared" anyone?

nickkuk

They are massive, the number of companies they own is quite astonishing, there is a map on this site that has all the companies and brands they own: Every Company Disney Owns: A Map of Disney's Worldwide Assets

LicensedTaximan

Somehow I don't think closing down Blue Sky will make any difference to the behemoth that is the Disney Corp at all. Just some of those animation / computer artists who will lose their jobs unless they get re-appropriated to other sections of the company or hired by different one's. For them I wish them luck and hope they find alternative employment.

LicensedTaximan

I had seen it a while ago and was surprised just how enormous the empire was, there are over 100 companies listed in just the ears section of the infographic!
Well at least Minnie will be well looked after by Mickey through the years then. :lesson:

John

I had seen it a while ago and was surprised just how enormous the empire was, there are over 100 companies listed in just the ears section of the infographic!

not sure how accurate it is , Sky is on there and thats owned by Comcast these days

GT One

Business takeovers but major companies usually end with brand / Corporate name changes sooner or later.
No mention of staff or job losses, though I guess most will probably already be working elsewhere or at Pixar.
The CGI, animation industry has really expanded in recent years.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches MDC USB DSD upgrade module
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published