NEWS: Disney+ Star launches 23rd Feb: Everything you need to know

As with the rest of D+, they're not going to throw every film and series they have available on to it on day one; they will add content over time to build the library and give you a reason to stay subscribed. Some will see that as cynical, but it makes more sense to add content gradually, it's something to look forward to and doesn't overwhelm subscribers with thousands of films and tv series to wade through.

For example, I don't believe Alien is on there, but it's 20th Century Fox, so I guess it'll arrive eventually.

As far as content that interests me, I'd put Disney+ on a par with Netflix now, and both are well ahead of Prime.

None of the Alien films are yet, or Predator. You’re right though, it is probably best to keep some content back and add it over time.

I forgot Star launched today. I've sorted out the 18+ opt in and set up all the profiles to be able to access this content. Haven't bothered with a PIN for anyone though.

As with the rest of D+, they're not going to throw every film and series they have available on to it on day one; they will add content over time to build the library and give you a reason to stay subscribed. Some will see that as cynical, but it makes more sense to add content gradually, it's something to look forward to and doesn't overwhelm subscribers with thousands of films and tv series to wade through.

For example, I don't believe Alien is on there, but it's 20th Century Fox, so I guess it'll arrive eventually.

As far as content that interests me, I'd put Disney+ on a par with Netflix now, and both are well ahead of Prime.

None of the Alien films are yet, or Predator. You’re right though, it is probably best to keep some content back and add it over time.

It does look like an Alien tv series by Legions Noah Hawley is being made. And Ridley Scott may be involved too.

That sounds interesting.

When is the Alien series on TV?

Alien TV Show Will Reportedly Have Connections To Past And Future Films

I’m looking forward to watching some of the early X Files episodes, some are classics I haven’t seen for a long time. Also the first couple of series of 24 and Prison Break, before they both went downhill.
24 didn't go down hill, it was very much a constant up & down slopey road! S05 is the best & S06 the worst, but still great 24. S07 is one of the best and the late season 9 was excellent! I f**king LOVE 24 DAMMIT FevreDream!

Can't find the first Die Hard film which seems odd, any ideas why it's missing?

24 didn't go down hill, it was very much a constant up & down slopey road! S05 is the best & S06 the worst, but still great 24. S07 is one of the best and the late season 9 was excellent! I f**king LOVE 24 DAMMIT FevreDream!

The first few seasons are some of the best TV ever but it does get quite silly after that, especially the later seasons.

Is there an A-Z listing for Star so everything comes up?

I guess it's some sort of licensing issue. Another example of missing films in a series is the most recent Planet of the Apes trilogy. Dawn, the second film, is on there, but the first and third films are not yet.

Im pretty sure it's a licensing thing as they are on the Australian and Canadian app

Still on Sky until 31/5/2021... Imagine they have it exclusively until then...

Im pretty sure it's a licensing thing as they are on the Australian and Canadian app

Same again - Predator is on Sky till 31/7/2021 and the Alien movies are there till around the end of August.

Nothing that I can see with Dolby Atmos some titles have Dolby Vision though
hope they add Atmos at some point

Like a kid at Christmas. Just added the following to my watchlist

The Favourite
Solaris
Romancing the Stone/ Jewel of the Nile
Titan AE
Planet of the Apes (original)
Jennifers Body
The Village, Signs (shaymalan)
Deadpool 2
Grosse Point Blank
High Fidelity
Something about Mary, Shallow Hal (farrellys)
Jennifers Body
Starship Troopers
Die Hard 2
Dark Water
Life Aquatic, Darjeeling Ltd (Wes Anderson)
Omen II
Phone Booth
Crimson Tide
Ed Wood
Bringing Out the Dead (Scorsese)
Lost

and loads more besides. Smashing influx of content.
Jennifer's Body twice? 🤭🤔

All the Die Hards, Aliens and Predators are on the Canadian app.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started rewatching the classic that is Starship Troopers!

I'll give that a watch at some point. I haven't seen it for a long time.

Been wanting to see The Strain for ages so it was a pleasant surprise to find it waiting for me on Star.
So far it looks like a pretty decent catalogue :thumbsup:

Slightly off topic sorry...Disney+ removed Xmen Wolverine a few days ago, does anyone know why?

Anyone able to find Titanic or Pearl harbour?

I setup Star last night (Amazon FireStick 4K). Needed my Disney+ account password once. I was able to tell it I want the 18+ content for both my viewing profiles and to never bother me about it again. Super easy.

Access to all seasons of Family Guy and American Dad is available, and I can finally enjoy watching them at the right speed and the correct audio pitch. Makes quite a difference watching at 60Hz when I've previously only experienced them in 50Hz on terrestrial TV.

I also started to watch the original 'Muppet Show'. Wow they had an amazing selection of weekly guest stars including:

Peter Sellers, John Cleese, Elton John, Ethel Merman, Peter Ustinov, Candice Bergen, Charles Aznavour, Phyllis Diller, Twiggy, Bruce Forsyth, Vincent Price, George Burns, Dom DeLuise, Steve Martin, Julie Andrews, Rudolf Nureyev, Bob Hope, Petula Clark, Cleo Laine, Raquel Welch, Alice Cooper, Leo Sayer, Kris Kristofferson, Rita Coolidge, Danny Kaye, Cheryl Ladd, Harry Belafonte, Liberace, Sylvester Stallone, Roy Rogers, Spike Milligan, Dudley Moore, Crystal Gayle, Victor Borge, Kenny Rogers, John Denver, Lisa Minnelli, Dizzy Gillespie, Anne Murray, Christopher Reeve, Linda Carter, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels & Peter Mayhew, Alan Arkin, Diana Ross, Roger Moore, James Coburn, Brooke Shields, Paul Simon, Linda Ronstadt, Glenda Jackson, Johnny Cash, Debbie Harry, Gene Kelly, Gladys Knight, Marty Feldman & Shirley Bassey!

It's brilliant fun and very nostalgic. Picture and sound quality is surprisingly good.

Regards,
James.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom