NEWS: Disney+ ready to add adult themed content?

Song of the South with Oscar winning soundtrack

Bambi on Ice - the story of a small deer and her descent into hell due to her Crystal Meth addiction

Straight to comments lol.

I will believe this when I see Deadpool uncut on D+.

Come on Disney, stop being so nice and cater to the masses with right level of parenting controls put in-place.

I very much doubt that this will happen. Disney already has the streaming service Hulu in the USA that carries the more adult content that it doesn't want to show on Disney+. Like the series 'Love, Simon' that it originally created for Disney+ but moved to Hulu earlier this year.

Maybe outside of America it might make sense to include a mature section to Disney+ but I think it's much more likely that they would launch Hulu in other countries than have different versions of Disney+. There have been rumours for a while that Disney intends to launch Hulu in western Europe in the next couple of years.

Also, the website that this story seems to have been sourced from, wegotthiscovered.com, is notorious for just pushing any old rumour about the tv or film industry. One or two in ten of the stories that they cover might come true but most of it just cobblers. Not to be trusted.

‘Adult-Themed’ is not the correct expression. I doubt vey much that Disney will be showing 18-rated films, which are the inly films restricted to adults.

What they mean is 12 and 15 rated films, a better phrase might be ‘Mature-Themed’.

I can see where they are coming from though. I read somewhere that Disney+ is not expected to break even until at least 2021.

I have Disney+, I was tempted by the introductory annual subscription which was, in my opinion, a clever ruse because it got lots of people like me signed up for a year rather than a few months.

I think the Disney+ service is well presented technically, but I am going to struggle with content.

I am watching the Mandalorian and Star Wars Clone Wars and happy with the value for money that gives me. We have also watched the odd film but as I don’t have young children I can’t see much else that would interest me.

I think it is excellent for families with young children, but I can’t see me renewing next year. I will switch to the odd month here and there to catch the occasion films or series.

Cheers,

Nigel

Looking at Disney’s content it just seems infantile to me — cartoons, Star Wars, Marvel. Not much else. Fine if you like that sort of thing of course, but nothing that has me wanting to flex the plastic.

I very much doubt that this will happen. Disney already has the streaming service Hulu in the USA that carries the more adult content that it doesn't want to show on Disney+. Like the series 'Love, Simon' that it originally created for Disney+ but moved to Hulu earlier this year.

Maybe outside of America it might make sense to include a mature section to Disney+ but I think it's much more likely that they would launch Hulu in other countries than have different versions of Disney+. There have been rumours for a while that Disney intends to launch Hulu in western Europe in the next couple of years.

Also, the website that this story seems to have been sourced from, wegotthiscovered.com, is notorious for just pushing any old rumour about the tv or film industry. One or two in ten of the stories that they cover might come true but most of it just cobblers. Not to be trusted.

They're looking to launch a service under the 'Star' brand that they have in India

The suggestion is that it will be a separate service of content entirely owned including things like 20th Century, Searchlight, Touchstone and FX - though some markets may get it combined with Disney Plus likely in the way 'Disney+Hotstar' operates in India.

Watching The Big which has a 0+ age rating in D+ but it had one sex scene and dozen of profanity. Then jumped on to IMDb and it found it is rated 12. Was quite embarrassing to watch with my 8 year old. I am okay with a bit of action violence and few bad words but being cautious with sex and expletives as kids easily fall prey to them.

Long term, Disney won’t want to License content from other providers for Hulu so instead I can see Then folding that into Star US and then that being what they also roll out internationally.

I doubt any mature content will be added to Disney+. One of Disney’s stated objectives is that all the material is suitable for the whole family.

However, they could easily start a complementary service, and restore the ‘Buena Vista‘ brand.

Regards,
James.

I've watched nothing on Disney+ since binge watching the Mandalorian - they're going to have to do something if they want my repeat business.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom