NEWS: Disney+ reaches 95 million global subscribers

The numbers are proof that if you have strong content both film and television as well as a large back catalogue of programming that suits both adults and children alike then chances are that you are going to succeed but even Disney could not have expected the virus to arrive almost at the exact time that they launched.

but even Disney could not have expected the virus to arrive almost at the exact time that they launched.

Conspiracy theorists could get their teeth into that one.... :D

I joined Disney at Christmas in perhaps a slightly festive liquid spirited, what the hell I'll try it moment.
Actually also as I bought myself one of the new 'Google Chromecast with Google TV' things, and it was promoting things I didn't have, mainly Disney.
Plus the price was just about to go up, so what the hell for a year I'll go for it.
And I'm glad I did.
My only worry, and I think I speak for pretty much everyone here, is knowing their plan from day one is almost certainly, price it low get millions to subscribe and then start ramping the price up, year by year and let's see just how far we can push it before too many start to leave.

We can all see this coming can't we?

I joined Disney at Christmas in perhaps a slightly festive liquid spirited, what the hell I'll try it moment.
Actually also as I bought myself one of the new 'Google Chromecast with Google TV' things, and it was promoting things I didn't have, mainly Disney.
Plus the price was just about to go up, so what the hell for a year I'll go for it.
And I'm glad I did.
My only worry, and I think I speak for pretty much everyone here, is knowing their plan from day one is almost certainly, price it low get millions to subscribe and then start ramping the price up, year by year and let's see just how far we can push it before too many start to leave.

We can all see this coming can't we?

They are all guilty of that. If you’re paying a fiver now (no idea how much it is), you know full well it’ll be a tenner in a few years. That’s just how it is.

Just look at Netflix.

I’d be more worried about the House of Mouse wanting to take over the world by buying up all of their competitors.

Failure might have tempered their ambitions a tad.

Bit surprised people aren't fed up of Disney's antics and keep giving them their money. I stopped back in 2015. Never felt so good to boycott something. Disney justifies being boycotted constantly through their ill-advised behaviour. They keep getting worse and worse.

I had seen Disney come to the USA when it started and then the UK.
Honestly had no desire to subscribe.
As I said, it was simply that my new Google Device kept putting up Disney Shows in my "recommended things to watch which are popular now" front page, which you can't turn off
(And I even uninstalled the Disney app when I 1st got it to turn them off)
I took a moment to look at the UK price, and some talk, perhaps on these forums about the price was about to go up, so, (perhaps a Christmas tipple induced) thought, hell, it's about to go up in price, I'll take out a years sub now, and see what it's like.
If I'd never bought the new Google TV thing, and by the way it's the best TV Thing ever!
I'd not have got Disney.

Not watched a great deal so far. Soul, Mandelorian, a few Marvel films, WandaVision as episiodes come along, and a few others.
But it's just nice to have as an alternative when I can't decide what to watch on Netflix and Amazon.

And happy to admit, far too much choice, times were much much easier decades ago when the BBC showed that one film in the evening, so you watched that or nothing ;)

Re the Lady being scrubbed from the Mandelorian
Yeah, that's a shame. I liked her character/role/personality in the role.
And would never have known anymore about her, and I have no idea who she is in RL, nor do I want to know.
But that's just me. I never want to know anything about the on screen character other than them on-screen.
I would walk past dozens of famous TV/Movie stars and have no idea who they are of know anything about them and that's what I like and always have done.

It breaks the belief for me, to have any thoughts about the person outside of the role in the movie/show I saw them in.

EG: I knew nothing about anyone in the Matrix, before seeing the matrix.
Even Neo, I knew nothing about him whatsoever and still know almost nothing apart from his real name as I'll go out of my way to avoid knowing anything else.

Perhaps I'm odd?

1 less cancelled mine last night their unfair dismissal of Gina carano even through her co star spouts more controversial comments and their awful Star Wars output full of identity politics all the while filming Mulan next to a modern day concentration camp there double standards are beyond belief.

Disney works on pretty much a strike system and Gina had been told several times about her posts and she ignored the warnings. She made her own bed

Why is she on any strike list and since when can you not have your own views, her co star Pedro Pascal even posted a photo of Jews being caged and compared it to modern day American. The cancel culture always comes from the left and Disney pamper to them when the irony is their not the people who watch and buy their merchandise.

I’m not going to say my personal views on what they said but I think it’s like a lot of companies where they have rules they expect their employees to follow. I believe Pascal was warned too but she kept going and they had enough.
I will say that Disney do a terrible job when it comes to following their own rules

And the picture Pascal posted juxtaposing Jews with an image of illegal aliens in Obama cages wasn't even legit, the picture of 'border hoppers' was actually of Palestinians. A friend said they would never watch anything with Pascal in it again. I won't go that far, but I will definitely keep an eye open for Gina Carano's future projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disney works on pretty much a strike system and Gina had been told several times about her posts and she ignored the warnings. She made her own bed
Why is she on any strike list and since when can you not have your own views, her co star Pedro Pascal even posted a photo of Jews being caged and compared it to modern day American. The cancel culture always comes from the left and Disney pamper to them when the irony is their not the people who watch and buy their merchandise.

The accumulation of Disney's absurdity right there.

Of course they're not alone.

From a principled point of view these types of actions are disturbing.

1 less cancelled mine last night their unfair dismissal of Gina carano even through her co star spouts more controversial comments and their awful Star Wars output full of identity politics all the while filming Mulan next to a modern day concentration camp there double standards are beyond belief.
Wasn't Mulan filmed mostly in New Zealand?

Wasn't Mulan filmed mostly in New Zealand?

Apparently it was, with select sequences shot in China.

According to what I've heard Disney thanked the Chinese Communist Party in the end credits of Mulan for allowing them to film in those select locations. I presume that was part of the deal. This sort of thing is not unheard of so nothing new under the sun, but all things considered Disney's behaviour and double standards are rather disgraceful.

At the end of the day. There is tons of $$$$ which Disney wants from the Chinese market and are desperate to please that market as much as they can

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and that’s means altering the film promotion photos making Finn half the size more Disney double standards all inclusive until it effect your bottom line, this is why a voted with my feet and cancelled my subscription last night. No good has come from Disney it’s all cgi remakes and changing older films to suite today’s snowflakes, good luck getting die hard as I was made they even changed a scene in the old film splash .

Do you mean Die Hard 3? I guess we’ll find out in a few weeks when they go onto Disney+

Disney own fox and it’s been reported their vaulting die hard, as this a forum which has lots of film buffs everybody should be concerned, no doubt they want to make a sub standard remake I only hope deadpool doesn’t suffer from meddling.

Did seem unfair how Gina Carano has been treated. But now she's teamed up with Ben Shapiro so I have no sympathy for her anymore.

I signed up for a year last March and then cancelled right away to avoid the auto renewal. I now want to reactivate the auto renewal/subscribe again to avoid the price hike but can't find out how to do it. Does anyone else know?

So some people are upset that Gina, already on a warning for opposing mask wearing and promoting the “big lie” over the US election, suffered consequences for comparing the treatment of Comservative Americans to that of Jewish people in Nazi Germany?

huh, how about that.

So some people are upset that Gina, already on a warning for opposing mask wearing and promoting the “big lie” over the US election, suffered consequences for comparing the treatment of Comservative Americans to that of Jewish people in Nazi Germany?

huh, how about that.
Lucasfilm have been trying to get rid if her for a year now because so won't take the knee to the left wing views.

I believe it started when she refused to change her twitter handle to support trans rights

The force is female (but only if you think like them).
Take a look at what the writers of high republic say about a certain demographic of the population.
The issue here are the complete double standards
Did seem unfair how Gina Carano has been treated. But now she's teamed up with Ben Shapiro so I have no sympathy for her anymore.
This sums it up because she works with a individual you dont like/agree with they deserve to you their jobs and everything that affords this is the world we are living which will only get worse, maybe one day a friend or family member might get sacked for a comment they made years ago on line.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom