NEWS: Disney+ reaches 50 million subscribers globally

tman

An impressive figure no doubt, but let's wait to see what the figures are in 12 months time. Once customers have had their fill of Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar (if they haven't already), I think a lot will leave once they see there's little else of merit, and Disney (as with Apple) are fixated on family friendly material, which get's stomach churning after a while in a way only American shows can.

mooperman

Distinguished Member
An impressive figure no doubt, but let's wait to see what the figures are in 12 months time. Once customers have had their fill of Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar (if they haven't already), I think a lot will leave once they see there's little else of merit, and Disney (as with Apple) are fixated on family friendly material, which get's stomach churning after a while in a way only American shows can.
exactly whats on my mind - im loving it right now, hammering a lot of the content, but in a year i might not be so keen to blow another £50 on it.

Panavision

I'm waiting for all the new Star Wars tv show episodes to become available, then I'll do a week trial or pay for the month to watch'em all.

fatdragon1966

Standard Member
I am enjoying Disney + but I can only watch it through Sky Q in HD and 5.1 sound no 4K or Dolby atmos and Sky say it is coming this summer and it is now summer :):nono:

Blaupunkt

I am enjoying Disney + but I can only watch it through Sky Q in HD and 5.1 sound no 4K or Dolby atmos and Sky say it is coming this summer and it is now summer :):nono:
It's not summer though, its still spring, Technically "summer" starts towards the end of June.

the hoff

Shame I don't seem to be able to get Atmos yet (I think due to the government request to lower the bit rate) but for the moment at least it seems like a bit of a bargain for £50 a year
If Covid-19 hits the production schedules badly, I think it's easier to burn through the good stuff before the new Marvel/Star Wars TV shows come on but I think I have a few months yet...

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Best to take things Sky say with a pinch of salt at the best of times:laugh:

They’ve been promising HDR forever and still no sign of it.

I don’t think you’ll get anything much better than HD and 5.1 on any device until the bandwidth restrictions are lifted anyway. I believe they’re only doing 4K in 1440p rather than 2180p anyway at the moment.

DrH

Watching through Sky Q in the lounge, daughters bedroom and either on the X box one X or sky q in the cinema room. As a huge Disney fan I am loving it.

geogan

Watching Disney+ on NVidia Shield streamer box. Enjoying The Mandelorian and some Nat Geo documentaries. Surprised that they have four episodes of it already on there - I thought it was only going to be the initial two episodes and then one extra per week (unless this Covid lockdown has distorted my mind and it actually is over two weeks since I saw the first two episodes?!)

I am annoyed I am not able to see them as originally intended in full bitrate and Dolby Atmos (which I can normally get on the Denon from the Shield in apps like PLEX). At this stage we will have seen the entire first series before they remove the stupid bandwidth restrictions (which are crazy anyway because the Atmos audio stream is a tiny percentage of the video stream).

I haven't really noticed a loss of video quality. I wish there was a way to display video tech stats like people seem to be able to do with the Apple box (anyone know?).

One thing I will say - the Disney+ user interface is a lot more basic than the very slick and advanced Netflix interface. Disney+ basically looks like a static media player interface like PLEX, nothing fancy about it at all, which is kind of off putting.

tickedon

Hardly surprising that people have jumped on it with the huge amount of content from the archives. A bargain for the amount of content and streaming quality.

The problem is there seems to be very little new content planned in the first year - and even less now with coronavirus - so a renewal for the second year will be a much harder ask, when presumably users will have watched everything they want from the archives in the time since - especially with lockdowns and lots of people being stuck at home for weeks on end!

timearp

As others have said, lets see in 12 months. With Quidco cashback it was down to £25 for a year, why not for that price.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Well I'm happy for now; being a Marvel noob it's astonishing value to get all (most) of the films. Once that's done? Not sure, as the Nat Geo content is abysmal, and that's really the only break from films as their TV series is also appalling.

jontell

You’re their favourite type of customer!

geubes

We have it in addition to Netflix and Prime. It is great at the moment because we can catch up on a lot of content. However being a first party owned service, we expected their most recent releases to hit the platform at the same time as DVD/Disc release, but this isn't the case with Star Wars or Frozen. In time if this doesn't change I don't see much place for Disney+ as an ongoing subscription. People will just buy the latest releases that they are interested in.