NEWS: Disney+ launches IMAX Enhanced Marvel movie lineup

Technically that iTunes format would be "open matte" not IMAX
I saw screenshots of the open matte Russian iTunes Infinity War on another forum & it looked cropped on the left hand side (but expanded top & bottom).
Think it might be based on the version they use for airplane in-flight entertainment as that was similarly cropped on the left (& expanded top & bottom), when I watched it on a flight.

I’d guess the Disney+ IMAX version won’t have the same cropping.

I just stuck Infinity War 3D on the other week and at the end thought I could not remember any Imax scenes. As you say some of the Imax in the other Marvel 3D scenes were astounding.

The whole film is in IMAX, same as Endgame.

I just stuck Infinity War 3D on the other week and at the end thought I could not remember any Imax scenes. As you say some of the Imax in the other Marvel 3D scenes were astounding.
I remember there was a lot of disappointment at the time of Infinitiy War being released on home media as the 3D Blu-ray did not feature the expanded image version which until then had been pretty much the norm (ie the 2D Blu-ray was regular theatrical version and the 3D Blu-ray contained the IMAX version with expanded footage) it was the reason I switched to buying the 3D discs as I would rip the left eye stream and watch in 2D so got the expanded sequences but watching them without the floating windows in UHD, yes please :)

It is quite annoying that these were never released on 4K disc but many of them already had the shifting ratios with the 3D versions. I would say they’ll come out on disc but it may be that we’ve had the last physical media releases of these.

Even if they support passthrough of DTS/DTS-X via e-ARC that would be an improvement.
The set definitely does DTS passthrough, not sure about X.

I use my PS5 as a UHD player, I tried a disc with DTS audio and the audio reached my amp fine, via eARC.

Not available on either the 2D, 3D nor 4K discs.
This will be the first time the expanded ratio versions will available outside of the cinema.

Yeah. I remember watching it at the cinema, can't wait to watch it again in IMAX.

The set definitely does DTS passthrough, not sure about X.

I use my PS5 as a UHD player, I tried a disc with DTS audio and the audio reached my amp fine, via eARC.
I know they support DTS up to 2019 models with 2019 being the sweet spot of e-ARC and DTS but nothing on the 2020 and 2021 models, so hoping it comes back for the 2022 range onwards.

I’m all for a bit of higher quality streaming audio, it finally might make people stop complaining about streaming quality! Presumably DTS streaming might go to 1.5mbps. People would still complain that they could hear the difference, even though you really couldn’t. But a jump to 1.5 from what is sometimes 384kbps would be very welcome

I know they support DTS up to 2019 models with 2019 being the sweet spot of e-ARC and DTS but nothing on the 2020 and 2021 models, so hoping it comes back for the 2022 range onwards.
I have this year's LG C1, sorry, I didn't make that clear

On my TV disney plus has now went from 4k Dolby Vision atmos, to 4k HDR atmos and now tonight hdr 5.1.

Have tried clearing cache reboot, checked app settings and they are set as 4k.

Not so good.

Would be nice if Disney+, almost two years on could get around to supporting humble Atmos on their Samsung TV app. Astonishing that they’re now literally the only major streaming service not to do so.

Rumor has it there wont be DTS sound and Xperi has relaxed the requirements for the pointless Imax Enhanced format just for Disney.

Or maybe they will add DTS:X later, technically it only offers the center height advantage and channel based upmixing over Atmos for Imax 12.1 but it would not be that difficult to offer better audio mixes than Disney has offered with Atmos.

Last edited:
Technically that iTunes format would be "open matte" not IMAX
Youre right - apologies!! I don’t believe that Iron Man was filmed with imax cameras though so can’t imagine there will be any discernible difference in the image.

Youre right - apologies!! I don’t believe that Iron Man was filmed with imax cameras though so can’t imagine there will be any discernible difference in the image.

I haven't seen the 2018 IMAX re-release, however I presume that in addition to the aspect ratio, IMAX would've graded the image. IMAX has been rolling out their 4K laser technology so wouldn't be surprised if they graded the picture accordingly.

I noticed the same thing when I went to check the aspect ratio on Disney+ last night, wonder if it's been done on purpose to push people to the higher quality release when it comes out.
On my TV disney plus has now went from 4k Dolby Vision atmos, to 4k HDR atmos and now tonight hdr 5.1.

Have tried clearing cache reboot, checked app settings and they are set as 4k.

Not so good.

Wonder what this means for appletv users as afaik they don’t support DTS audio or pass through.

IMAX films are live on Disney +, sound is Dolby Atmos

It also allows you to choose which version to watch IMAX or Widescreen

P_20211111_141313.jpg
P_20211111_141339.jpg
P_20211111_141354.jpg

Doctor Strange and Gotg1 - shifting aspect ratio like 3D release.

For some reasons GOTG2 isn't showing it's IMAX scenes, they probably haven't uploaded it yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom