NEWS: Disney gives Black Widow dual 9th July theatrical and streaming release

Buckster666

UK cinemas will open by then, so will definitely see it on the big screen, however if they aren't will pay to get it early.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
This will be another flop. Not enough people will pay the asking.
Now if you’re a single person then I could see why you’d bulk at the price.

But then if you‘re an MCU fan that hasn’t been to the cinema in over a year, I think plenty of those people will see it as a one off treat and will happily pay.

For families it’s a no brainer.

And while it’s great it will be getting the dual release giving people the choice to do one or the other, for me it’s not worth the risk, so I’ll be buying on Disney+ and enjoy multiple viewings on the OLED.

Marky1973

I think dual releases are the way to go.... Based on no real expertise or understanding of the economics of the industry! 😁

I'd likely chose to watch this at home as its better value and I have a PJ and decent sound system to make sure we have a good experience.

However, I am fairly sure that those wanting to see it at the cinema will still see it at the cinema so its a win win!

Lyricalis

I'm far too tight to pay for films that I know will eventually get included in the standard subscription. I enjoy Marvel films, but it's been years since any film has interested me enough for me to go to the cinema to watch it.

I think I've turned into my dad.

The accountants no doubt made the decision, but I think a Black Widow series would have been much more interesting.

Last edited:

Joe C

This will be another flop. Not enough people will pay the asking.

Completely different target market to anything else they’ve released like this before.

Lyricalis

Completely different target market to anything else they’ve released like this before.
Very true. I guess this sort of thing is still in its infancy (releasing on streaming and cinema at the same time). It'll be interesting to see how the cinema chains react to what they're going to see as a threat to their existence. So much of this business seems to be about getting us all to pay for the same thing multiple times. It's like the film version of Skyrim.

ggwoodland

Must admit quite fancy seeing this at the Odeon Leicester Square in Dolby Vision and Atmos, been so long since I’ve been to the flicks - george

Lyricalis

Must admit quite fancy seeing this at the Odeon Leicester Square in Dolby Vision and Atmos, been so long since I’ve been to the flicks - george
I remember going there for the first time back in the 1990's. Saw Terminator 2 there when it was released. Epic place and when that sound system started up. Blimey!

Loved going to watch films there when I lived in London.

IAMBatman

I understand the price tag for Disney movies aimed at kids/families but this is a movie more towards adults, specifically in their 20’s and 30’s I would assume. So the price doesn’t make sense to me. As a single guy in that age group I would love to see the movie at release but not at that price point. I’ll wait a couple months.

La Finta Nonna

This sadly was always going to happen as not enough countries have even begun to reopen their cinemas and plenty of countries are at low capacity. Disney will be hoping that the extra couple of months will improve matters enough to get somewhere close to breaking even and they will also need a big push in China. As far as the cinema chains are concerned this is yet another nail in their coffin

PlexShaw

Personally, I'll go for the cinema (IMAX ideally) assuming it's showing and then pick it up on disc when that gets released. If the former doesn't happen, I'll go for the D+ Premier Access option as I cannot wait to see it.

low-def.

As much as i'd like to see this in the cinema, I think at this moment it time its likely to be a home viewing.

low-def.

I wonder how much it will be in £ on Disney Plus? I can't remember was the likes of Mulan was released at.

almightygoodgod

I enjoy going to the cinema but I see this as something that will hopefully give the cinemas who have been ambivalent towards improving the quality of their equipment a much needed kick in the backside. With the exception of three screens in viable proximity to me I firmly believe that the quality I get at home is far superior, I see no reason to pay a premium for an inferior experience when I can pay less to watch it at home. Fingers crossed it makes the cinemas near to me up their game.

Marky1973

I wonder how much it will be in £ on Disney Plus? I can't remember was the likes of Mulan was released at.
£20 would be my bet.... Think Mulan was 20.

low-def.

£20 would be my bet.... Think Mulan was 20.
So, I think from that perspective, although not ideal, its not a bad price for a family to watch v's the cost of 4 (adults or kids) going to the cinema. Do you get the usual 48 hours to watch?

Ok you don't get the big screen & sound effect etc, but to be honest the last few times i did go to the cinema there was always people talking or on their phones during the film which always spoiled it.

Marky1973

So, I think from that perspective, although not ideal, its not a bad price for a family to watch v's the cost of 4 (adults or kids) going to the cinema. Do you get the usual 48 hours to watch?

Ok you don't get the big screen & sound effect etc, but to be honest the last few times i did go to the cinema there was always people talking or on their phones during the film which always spoiled it.

Yeah, works for a family, there are 4 of us, so cinema gets expensive. I'm lucky enough to have a projector and decent sound system so renting a premiere for something I really want to see but can't get to the cinema is a good option

I can see its not such a good option for someone on their own.

The key thing, in my mind for this sort of business model is how long between cinema/premiere access and 'normal' streaming/bluray release.... If its a matter of weeks, then I can see a lot of people who might go for premiere access just waiting to stream or buy... If there are a couple of months then it may encourage more people to the cinema/premiere access as they don't want to wait.

IMHO of course...

Maybe they should start offering blu ray discounts to people who watch in the Cinema or on home premiere? 😁😁

richp007

Distinguished Member
The business model is pretty much fine as it's always been. The options need to be there for home and cinema viewing, at least until the pandemic is over. This way everyone gets what they want. I'll be straight to the cinema, might even set up camp there for the summer.

With regards disc, it needs to be the usual time delay. Too soon and it would be detrimental to the main release options.

Purperen

I think that you can watch any Disney+ Premiere Access film as many times as you like right up until it becomes available to all Disney+ viewers. It's been a 3 month window between Premiere Access and being available to all Disney+ subscribers with previous releases I think.

My modest home AV set-up is more than a match for most of the screens at my local cinema and as you mention, no distractions from other people at home.

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
I want to get back to normal as quickly as possible. I enjoy the odd visit to the cinema as it’s a social thing for us and our neighbours.
But if it still isn’t 100 normal (no mask, no social distancing) which is probably likely, I would rather pay and have them over for a film night.

Lyricalis

I want to get back to normal as quickly as possible. I enjoy the odd visit to the cinema as it’s a social thing for us and our neighbours.
But if it still isn’t 100 normal (no mask, no social distancing) which is probably likely, I would rather pay and have them over for a film night.
Yeah, I'm only going to wear a mask to the cinema if it's some cosplay event.

I have to wear one at work now (I work in an open plan office) on the days I go in. They do at least let us take them off when we're at our desks.

nickkuk

I still don't see cinema vs streaming as comparing like-for-like. My family are fortunate to have a nice OLED TV and Atmos sound but I think even the best home theatre can't compare to a 40-70 foot screen filling your field of view, especially an IMAX/Dolby cinema. I find the immersion is just not the same at home, particularly for big action/spectacle films like this one.

Plus a visit to the cinema is more of an event, getting out the house to do something different to watching TV. I place little value on streaming content as you don't own the content and its just one of thousands of digital things to view. I'm not in the "must see it on release week" demographic, so paying a premium for digital content on top of the monthly ongoing subscription fee doesn't appeal to me.

I will be disappointed if the cinemas close due to the studios pushing streaming to create monopolies for viewing their content.

xar

Home streaming works for me. As I said before, people who like the cinema will still go, people who don't want to go / can't go that often (i.e. me), now have a choice, and Disney have a new revenue stream from them i.e.

• Option 1 - cinema release only - I am probably not going (unless its a mega-tentpole offering 3-4 times a year), so no income for the cinema or Disney i.e. no winners
  • Option 2 - cinema and home streaming - I get premiere access, no change for the cinema from option 1, but Disney now gets my £20 i.e. 1 winner (plus me as I get to see the same time as everyone else on my big screen and sound system)
I think this endless debate about it being one or the other doesn't hold water.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors